Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NSIC Stadium Rankings

Originally posted by DAWGS View Post
    The artist renditions of this look really nice and it would definitely make it one of the top venues at the D2 level. The approach is practical in defining it as a complex that the high schools and also Presentation College (NAIA school in town) can all use. That tends to get the community involved and willing to fund. Like at SMSU it appears to be a future regional event center.
    Coach Hoffner made that suggestion in the Mankato Free Press. Mankato East, West and Loyola could play there. You could have high school football playoffs there. And soccer. Too bad that Bethany College never started football.

But that makes too much sense- it won't get done.

Comment

Originally posted by DAWGS View Post
      The artist renditions of this look really nice and it would definitely make it one of the top venues at the D2 level. The approach is practical in defining it as a complex that the high schools and also Presentation College (NAIA school in town) can all use. That tends to get the community involved and willing to fund. Like at SMSU it appears to be a future regional event center.
      This facility is for NSU and NSU alone. Raised off of NSU boosters and alumni. No city dollar, no state dollars, all private funds. Presentation had a wonderful turf field and has since they started football. However, they have yet to put in bleachers and a scoreboard for games. There is talk that Roncalli will go with them, throw a track around it and they can both use the facility since they are not far apart.

Aberdeen Central has already ripped up the old turf and the old scoreboard at the Swish. The Wolves will be playing at a field surrounded by Blue and Gold until the stadium is completed. Also, keep in mind there has not been an public official design of the stadium yet, what was on the video was just to give a vision.

Comment

Interesting how the berms are frowned upon at Southwest, but they "add character" at Augie

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
          All things considered, Kirkeby Over stadium is the most complete package. There is nothing about it that can be critiqued.
          No lights and no outdoor suite seating and no open concourse and no fan protection from rain.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
            No lights and no outdoor suite seating and no open concourse and no fan protection from rain.
            Playing at night is unnecessary, besides it's only warm at night for Sept. If rain is in the forecast Augie fans are sensible to bring an umbrella. Augie does have indoor suites with windows that open, for the privileged only. The media guys love AU and squint their eyes at SMSU when doing a broadcast. Yep KO is the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
              Interesting how the berms are frowned upon at Southwest, but they "add character" at Augie
              Kirkeby Over field is sunk 6' below the soil line, with the said berms makes for a bowl effect and a wonderful view for those on a blanket viewing from the berms

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                Playing at night is unnecessary, besides it's only warm at night for Sept. If rain is in the forecast Augie fans are sensible to bring an umbrella. Augie does have indoor suites with windows that open, for the privileged only. The media guys love AU and squint their eyes at SMSU when doing a broadcast. Yep KO is the best.

Comment

I believe the word was that Augie didn't get lights due to an agreement with the neighborhood that tightly surrounds the stadium requesting no lights/night games. I assume they didn't want to run the risk of college kids "preparing" for the game all day and then wandering the neighborhood after they left the game, at night.

I can see we have a slap-fight here between the SMSU and Augie supporters over which stadium is nicer..haha. To the credit of the good fan support for Northern, I'd move them up the list a bit due to gameday experience....while I'd probably move Mary down a bit, as they play essentially in a municipal setting without a lot of atmosphere. Yes the Blake has aspects that are a dump, but the best grass field in our region and the gameday atmosphere move up the old joint in Mankato.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                    I believe the word was that Augie didn't get lights due to an agreement with the neighborhood that tightly surrounds the stadium requesting no lights/night games. I assume they didn't want to run the risk of college kids "preparing" for the game all day and then wandering the neighborhood after they left the game, at night.

I can see we have a slap-fight here between the SMSU and Augie supporters over which stadium is nicer..haha. To the credit of the good fan support for Northern, I'd move them up the list a bit due to gameday experience....while I'd probably move Mary down a bit, as they play essentially in a municipal setting without a lot of atmosphere. Yes the Blake has aspects that are a dump, but the best grass field in our region and the gameday atmosphere move up the old joint in Mankato.
                    Things must have really changed at Northern. Back in the day their crowds were very sparse and they had no game day vibe.

Comment

Originally posted by Augiefanman View Post
                      Things must have really changed at Northern. Back in the day their crowds were very sparse and they had no game day vibe.
                      Ever since moving to the location at the new high school back in 04 (I believe) and since the tailgating really started it has been a blast. The 100th Gypsy Days a few years ago was nuts, I believe we hit or got close to 10,000 people for that game though a lot never left the tailgate, ha. They have just made it a lot of fun. Unfortunately the new place is going to be limited on space compared to the wide open area we have now.

Comment

The night game at Northern when I tried unsuccessfully to find 4life at halftime there were easily over 7,000 people there. Things were hopping.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                          Ever since moving to the location at the new high school back in 04 (I believe) and since the tailgating really started it has been a blast. The 100th Gypsy Days a few years ago was nuts, I believe we hit or got close to 10,000 people for that game though a lot never left the tailgate, ha. They have just made it a lot of fun. Unfortunately the new place is going to be limited on space compared to the wide open area we have now.
                          This was the game against USF, I went and I had a great time. Very impressed by the turnout and atmosphere, though I found it funny that 'attendance' was counted as soon as you enter the lots to tailgate and not the actual stadium. NSU4LIFE was correct, most people stayed outside and enjoyed themselves. Watched the entire third quarter from the back of a pickup truck along the fence with a cold beverage and that felt very South Dakotan with the wind blowing 45mph all around as well. Hopefully the fans still pack in at the new place despite the downsize in tailgate space and make it great time.
                          4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
                          2016 NSIC Champions
                          🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                            Been there twice; '07 and '08. Both times the crowds were small. In '07 (night game) there couldn't have been more than a couple thousand at most. In '08 it was a cold day and Augie had more fans than Northern. Total attendance was 413.

Comment

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
                              I think Schwanns gave SMSU a huge donation to fund the stadium if I am correct.
                              big donation along with state money

Comment

Been there twice; '07 and '08. Both times the crowds were small. In '07 (night game) there couldn't have been more than a couple thousand at most. In '08 it was a cold day and Augie had more fans than Northern. Total attendance was 413.
                                The Boden era doesnt count for anything

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X