Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NSIC Stadium Rankings

Originally posted by Augiefanman View Post
    Been to every stadium with the exception of Minot. Augie has the best facility of anybody; It's a complete facility with seating on both sides (6,000+ vs. SMSU's 2,500). The berms, which form a bowl effect, give the stadium some character and intimacy, great scoreboard, etc. Expanding the stadium seating can be easily done if need be in those areas. Couple those things with the locker room/weight room facility just a casual stroll into the stadium under the berm you have a "cool" entrance point. Aside from Mankato, it seems to have the closest vantage point to the playing field with no track. SMSU is similar but the distance to the stands is greater. I understand the tailgating is nowhere near what it used to be in our time, but the parking lot to the east of the stadium was ideal and room was always reserved for parent, family, friends, etc. Great times were had by all as some parents would come in motorhomes Friday night and camp until Sunday morning. Unfortunately, attendance has waned since those days, even though by comparison it's still higher than most. Parents and families have such a huge impact on setting the culture in regards to pre and post game celebrations. Not sure about the current staff but the previous staff encouraged the "family" atmosphere and used it wisely. When the team was on the road, catered meals were almost always supplied by players parents or relatives...outstanding experience.
    The biggest complaint that I have about Augie's field is the lack of lights. I used to watch some games at Howard Wood- yes, too far from the field but they were some beautiful evenings.

I do like the "tunnel".

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
      While I haven't made the trip to all 16 stadiums in our league, I have been to most. Those I haven't been to, I've watched on stream quite a bit and have been conveyed the gameday experience and such. Summer is my baseball time with my kids, but if I find time, I'd like to chat about this in more detail. I love the topic....and I think overall I agree with most of the posters about which stadiums are tops for the overall experience.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
        One has look back 10 years to appreciate progress in stadiums.

Augie. From Howard Wood to beautiful KO.

BSU. Lots of work done

Duluth. Big re-do Press box I believe.

Minot. Major enhancements.

Northern. beautiful new stadium on the way

SMSU. Great new stadium.

UIU. Wow nice atmosphere.

USF. New stadium, around a dozen years ago.

Wayne. Major work done in phases.

Hope I'm not forgetting anybody. Someday that little purple and gold cracker box will be gone at MSU.
        great post!

Comment

One has look back 10 years to appreciate progress in stadiums.

Augie. From Howard Wood to beautiful KO.

BSU. Lots of work done

Duluth. Big re-do Press box I believe.

Minot. Major enhancements.

Northern. beautiful new stadium on the way

SMSU. Great new stadium.

UIU. Wow nice atmosphere.

USF. New stadium, around a dozen years ago.

Wayne. Major work done in phases.

Hope I'm not forgetting anybody. Someday that little purple and gold cracker box will be gone at MSU.
          Concordia went from Gcavernous Griffin Stadium at St. Paul Central to a decent more intimate setting at SeaFoam

Comment

Hope I'm not forgetting anybody. Someday that little purple and gold cracker box will be gone at MSU.[/QUOTE]

It has been a good stadium for over 50 years, and I like being able to see the game much closer to the field than at almost any other stadium. Too bad it wasn't upgraded over the years as to press box, railings, a modern scoreboard, etc. If and when a new one is built, it will likely be also used by the women's soccer team. A few years ago they had plans/drawings as to what they envisioned, but that seems to have gone by the wayside, at least for now.

Comment

Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post
              It has been a good stadium for over 50 years, and I like being able to see the game much closer to the field than at almost any other stadium. Too bad it wasn't upgraded over the years as to press box, railings, a modern scoreboard, etc. If and when a new one is built, it will likely be also used by the women's soccer team. A few years ago they had plans/drawings as to what they envisioned, but that seems to have gone by the wayside, at least for now.[/QUOTE]

Comment

I am incredibly excited for this new Dakotah Bank stadium. With the most recent soft design, it will be similar to SDSU in the sense that you will have a building and suites at one end zone (the Barnett Center) and I know Josh Moon has spoken how he would like a hill included. You will be able to use the new parking lot or park in the Barnett Center parking lot and then cut through the BC to get to a football game. The new lot will close to double parking for basketball games as well. The word is they are now expecting to exceed the $50 million goal. Not only does this mean possible extras on the stadium, but there are other projects that may now get done sooner such as an expansion and overhaul to the pool to make it one of the best on the conference and a new foundation office. Though I am disappointed in the lack of a certain inclusion in this project that would be incredibly efficient and impactful, I am insanely excited to see this new place.

Comment

[/QUOTE]

Comment

SW did somethin' similar, although I don't know exactly how it was funded, but the wear 'n tear from its use by others outside the school is already evident. :doh: jmo.

Comment

Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post
                      SW did somethin' similar, although I don't know exactly how it was funded, but the wear 'n tear from its use by others outside the school is already evident. :doh: jmo.
                      I think Schwanns gave SMSU a huge donation to fund the stadium if I am correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
                        I think Schwanns gave SMSU a huge donation to fund the stadium if I am correct.
                        The state also paid a portion (something like $10 or $11 milliion) for SMSU's stadium. I believe it was part of a bonding bill in like 2006 or 2007 and was sold (which it is) as a regional asset for southwestern Minnesota.

Not sure MSU could make the same argument, so any public funding would almost certainly have to be local.

Comment

Originally posted by Augiefanman View Post
                          Been to every stadium with the exception of Minot. Augie has the best facility of anybody; It's a complete facility with seating on both sides (6,000+ vs. SMSU's 2,500). The berms, which form a bowl effect, give the stadium some character and intimacy, great scoreboard, etc. Expanding the stadium seating can be easily done if need be in those areas. Couple those things with the locker room/weight room facility just a casual stroll into the stadium under the berm you have a "cool" entrance point. Aside from Mankato, it seems to have the closest vantage point to the playing field with no track. SMSU is similar but the distance to the stands is greater. I understand the tailgating is nowhere near what it used to be in our time, but the parking lot to the east of the stadium was ideal and room was always reserved for parent, family, friends, etc. Great times were had by all as some parents would come in motorhomes Friday night and camp until Sunday morning. Unfortunately, attendance has waned since those days, even though by comparison it's still higher than most. Parents and families have such a huge impact on setting the culture in regards to pre and post game celebrations. Not sure about the current staff but the previous staff encouraged the "family" atmosphere and used it wisely. When the team was on the road, catered meals were almost always supplied by players parents or relatives...outstanding experience.
                          Originally posted by laker View Post
                          The biggest complaint that I have about Augie's field is the lack of lights. I used to watch some games at Howard Wood- yes, too far from the field but they were some beautiful evenings.

I do like the "tunnel".
                          All things considered, Kirkeby Over stadium is the most complete package. There is nothing about it that can be critiqued.

Augie could have put lights up but, to be a good neighbor to local single family homes and a nursing home across the street to the south they did not. I like knowing every game starts at 1pm.

Comment

Augie could have put lights up but, to be a good neighbor to local single family homes and a nursing home across the street to the south they did not. I like knowing every game starts at 1pm.
                            If you guys do indeed move up to D1 that includes football, I feel that adding lights is a MUST.

Comment

Originally posted by wsuguy87 View Post
                              The state also paid a portion (something like $10 or $11 milliion) for SMSU's stadium. I believe it was part of a bonding bill in like 2006 or 2007 and was sold (which it is) as a regional asset for southwestern Minnesota.

Not sure MSU could make the same argument, so any public funding would almost certainly have to be local.
                              State funding...that'd be nice

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                                I am incredibly excited for this new Dakotah Bank stadium. With the most recent soft design, it will be similar to SDSU in the sense that you will have a building and suites at one end zone (the Barnett Center) and I know Josh Moon has spoken how he would like a hill included. You will be able to use the new parking lot or park in the Barnett Center parking lot and then cut through the BC to get to a football game. The new lot will close to double parking for basketball games as well. The word is they are now expecting to exceed the $50 million goal. Not only does this mean possible extras on the stadium, but there are other projects that may now get done sooner such as an expansion and overhaul to the pool to make it one of the best on the conference and a new foundation office. Though I am disappointed in the lack of a certain inclusion in this project that would be incredibly efficient and impactful, I am insanely excited to see this new place.
                                The artist renditions of this look really nice and it would definitely make it one of the top venues at the D2 level. The approach is practical in defining it as a complex that the high schools and also Presentation College (NAIA school in town) can all use. That tends to get the community involved and willing to fund. Like at SMSU it appears to be a future regional event center.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X