Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSIC Pick'Em Week #4 - Chat

Overall this seems like it should be a pretty good week of football. Most of the matchups are closer to parity than the last two weeks.

Wayne State at Concordia-St. Paul - After their performance the first two weeks I really thought that the Golden Bears would have put up more of a fight in Mankato. I didn't expect them to win, obviously, but I figured they would score more than they did. Wayne has been about what I figured they would be this season: a scrappy team that may not be on top of the conference, but one that is going to win some games and be a thorn in the side for a few. Last year this would be a real easy pick. This year, not so much. I'm thinking that playing at home Concordia bounces back from last week and wins this one in a close match.

Sioux Falls at Augustana - Game of the year for fans of these two teams. Augie has a potent passing attack. USF has the best rushing attack in the NSIC. USF's defense isn't as lights-out as in year's past, but is solid. Augie's defense has given up a lot of points. USF's special teams is aptly named, as they've done more harm than good this season. I think this is going to be a close and entertaining game. I think USF wins as long as they score more touchdowns. If it comes down to relying on the kicking game then advantage Augie. But I've got to pick one so I'm going with the homer pick.

Minnesota State-Mankato at Winona State - I don't think Winona is quite the team they were last year. They were gifted the USF win by inept Coo kicking, then surprisingly lost to UIU. That being said, I think they rebound from that loss at home and play tougher this week. 'Kato is finding their rhythm though, and while the Warriors may play tough I think the Mavericks take this one on the road.

Upper Iowa at Southwest Minnesota State - This has the makings of a pretty evenly matched game. Neither team has much for defense. Both teams rely more on their passing game. Frankly I could see this one going either way as well. Seeing as it's been over a year since SMSU last had a win, I'm going to play the odds and take the Peacocks even though they're on the road.

St. Cloud State at Northern State - Frankly neither of these teams has turned out to be what I thought they would be before the season started. SCSU has a better record, but Northern has played a (very slightly) tougher schedule. Hard to pick either, but I think the Huskies have a little more in them at this point in the season. I may come back and change this one, though.

Minnesota-Crookston at Minot State - Easiest pick of the week. Minot gets their 2nd win of the year and moves to an even record, which they will get to savor for one week before they start playing their games against the NSIC south.

Minnesota State-Moorhead at Mary - Second easiest pick of the week. I kind of see Moorhead in the similar vein to WSC: not the top of the conference but a scrappy solid middle of the conference team that's going to win some games. Mary is struggling and (maybe?) showing a bit more life under their new leadership than last season's team. I think Mary will score a bit, but I think the Dragons win this one in Fargo.

Bemidji State at Minnesota-Duluth - Both Bemidji and Duluth have had the benefit of a pretty soft schedule so far this season. The next five games or so should give us a better idea of who they really are. Few teams win in Duluth, though, so I have to pick the Bulldogs. On paper this should be a pretty good game, though.

Comment

Re: NSIC Pick'Em Week #4 - Chat

I would argue this is the best possible week of football in the NSIC. Good teams playing good teams and the rest of the games are pretty evenly matched as well. It should be a fun one before we begin the crossover games.

Comment

Games of the week:

NORTH: Bemidji at Duluth: Have to go with the Dawgs. Playing at home, BSU with their QB out.

SOUTH: MSU at Winona: Warriors have won two of the last three. Have to be a little shell shocked after losing that late lead. I'll go with the purple and gold if their defense keeps improving.

Comment

Thursday, September 20
          Wayne State at Concordia-St. Paul - pretty even matchup. I like Nate Rodgers to be the difference here. He is a stud. WSC wins 37-33. Nothing here would surprise me.

Saturday, September 22
          Sioux Falls at Augustana another toss up. Nothing would surprise me. Coo is good not great this year. Same for Augie. I think it will be close. Coo 33-29

Minnesota State-Mankato at Winona State - another toss up. Yes Winona was upset, but they are really good. Gme of the week in the South This will be a barn burner Mavs win 27-24

Upper Iowa at Southwest Minnesota State 4 out of 4 tossups. I like the Mustangs to finally break out. This will be a wild one. Going to miss my first home game in several years. wish I could be there to see a 48- 34 Mustang win. Close until a late SMSU TD puts it away

St. Cloud State at Northern State 5th tossup out of 5 games. Northern is better than they showed last week. SCSU would finish 6th in the South and benefits from playing a weaker schedule as they are in the North. SCSU wins a close one 27-19

Minnesota-Crookston at Minot State not close -- Minot wins 38-14

Minnesota State-Moorhead at Mary Moorhead is a little better right. 6th tossup of the week -- Dragons win 28-24

Bemidji State at Minnesota-Duluth game of the week in the North . 7th toss up out of 8 games. This is going to be one helluva game folks. Bemidji is good. UMD wins in the last 3 minutes 27-25

Comment

Thursday, September 20
            Wayne State at Concordia-St. Paul - CSP gets up for a night game at home; tough loss still weighs on Wildcats

Saturday, September 22
            Sioux Falls at Augustana - Coo can't continue to play loose and easy, either konk the opponent on the head or get out of the way.
            Minnesota State-Mankato at Winona State - Warriors not up to the task
            Upper Iowa at Southwest Minnesota State - Mustangs catch Peacocks at just the right time
            St. Cloud State at Northern State - toughest game to pick; when in doubt, go with first impressions
            Minnesota-Crookston at Minot State - no comment
            Minnesota State-Moorhead at Mary - Mary should move up to FCS
            Bemidji State at Minnesota-Duluth - IMO, will be best game of the weekend

Comment

Originally posted by badboyblynn View Post
              Thursday, September 20

Minnesota-Crookston at Minot State - no comment
              Why not?

Comment

http://www.d2football.com/forum/entry.php?b=2241

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                  Awesome job as usual, Witt. Interesting limb you're out on with SMSU beating UIU. :)

Comment

Concordia St. Paul
                    @CSPBears
                    38m38 minutes ago
                    More
                    ALERT: @CSPBearsFB vs @wscwildcats in #NSICFB is in a weather delay. Current timeline is for a 6:30 p.m. kickoff at Sea Foam Stadium. The @NorthernSunConf game will still be televised on @MidcoSN

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post
                      Awesome job as usual, Witt. Interesting limb you're out on with SMSU beating UIU. :)
                      Last year (no Gimbel) was the first SMSU loss in the series since 2007.

Comment

Fine work as usual, Professor Witt!

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                          Last year (no Gimbel) was the first SMSU loss in the series since 2007.
                          I guess I was looking at more recent history, where UIU is coming off a huge win and SMSU hasn't won a game in over a year.

Comment

On my mind:

1. My mama said if you can't say something nice don't say it. So I can't say "Crookston."

2. Nice job Witt. No Fake News for you.

3. Augustana and Sioux Falls in the Lutheran-American Baptist Neighbor Bowl is the game of the week.

4. Minnesota-Duluth and Bemidji is the next best. Being pre-deer hunting season, it could be a full stadium.

5. Minnesota St. v. Winona in the Purple Passion Bowl is next. Predicting two trains during the game, one of 77 cars.

6. Minot State is favored for the second week in a row. Let THAT sink in.

Out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post
                              I guess I was looking at more recent history, where UIU is coming off a huge win and SMSU hasn't won a game in over a year.
                              Cleveland Browns hadn't won in over a year either....

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X