Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Augie at CSUP

Pretty good looking matchup....both squads with a strong defense. Thoughts..?

I can speak to the stadium. Playing at the Thunderbowl is a large home field advantage for Pueblo. From experience, playing there as a visitor is rough. They typically draw a pretty good and rowdy crowd. The visiting locker rooms are tiny and overcrowded even with a small traveling roster. The stands are a good distance from the field which is a nice thing. However, the playing surface takes a little bit to get used to. The turf is nice but it has a lot more rubber/sand in it than an average turf field, so it kinda eats up your legs in warmups. That may have changed since I played there, but it was noticeable to me. In short, tough place to play; never had a good experience there.

Comment

Defensively - Pueblo leads the country in sacks, defensive TDs, interceptions, and yards per carry against. They are simply very tough to run on which is fairly typical for Pueblo defenses the last several years. They have given up more yards through the air this year than usual but have several guys who have a nose for the ball and eventually they are going to get some picks and they have returned 8 for TDs. They are very deep at the LB position due to injuries to 2 D1 transfers early in the year that have returned the past 2 weeks, a lot of size and speed on the 2 deep at each LB spot. DL is solid and they rotate a lot of guys in there, they get pressure and force QBs to make mistakes. Overall it is what is expected of Pack defenses since the program was resurrected. They have 9 guys with multiple picks and don't really have a single stud guy anywhere on this side of the ball that stands out, they all just do their job very well.

Offensively - This will be a much different Pueblo offense than the last couple of years, especially with injured guys again coming back. Both QBs are now healthy, as healthy as one can be after a college football season anyways, and both are much more mobile when needed than past Pack QBs. They have held off on many read option plays as one or the other of the 2 QBs have been injured for basically the entire year but I wouldn't be surprised to see them go back to that. At RB their best player is #7 DJ Penick, but they have several guys there that can get the job done. The biggest improvement from last year for Pueblo is at the WR position. Dionte Sykes is a transfer that broke his collarbone against Chadron and has returned the last 2 weeks to get him up to game speed. He's a big target (6'3 206) and one of those guys who is just smooth, everything he does looks effortless, they like to go deep to him and he averages nearly 30 yards per reception. Nick Williams has been the other standout receiver this year and is again a big target at 6'4 196. The Pueblo offense can be very good or very bad and much of this looks to be due to some strange play calling. When they get in a groove they can move the ball at will, when they don't let them find that groove they really struggle. They do limit turnovers very well and don't put their defense in bad spots very often.

Comment

Judging by Turbonium the Thunderwolves are an excellent team. The winner of game get's to face #1 seed raging purple bulls in Minnesota State U. Who stampede over their opponents. Literally!

Augustana offense
        QB. Starter was in leg air cast Sat. Backup played well in 1st start against a 3-8 team. This concerns me greatly...

RB. Rudy Sinflorant a trusty bull rusher. True frosh Jarod Epperson, breakaway runner with speed and wiggle. Had a 94 yd. TD run and several other long runs. averaged 6.7 yards a rush.

WR. Ranging from 2, 6' 4" long fluid players to smaller speedsters with acrobatic catches. An excellent group.

OL. Large, deep and experienced, Center Jake Lacina has had 24 NFL teams scout him.

Defense. average 14.7 points allowed per game. +12 on TO.

DL. Pride themselves in shutting down run, allowed 89.5 yards a game in rushing. Had 27 sacks in season.

LB. On smaller side, but quick and sure tacklers. SO. TJ Liggett 57 tackles 2 sacks, with big cast on hand.

Backfield. 18 interceptions. allowed 10 touchdowns. A nice mix of youth and upper classmen.

Am very curious to see how Augustana and U of Sioux Falls stack up against 2 of the RMAC powers. Here are NSIC stats.
        https://nsic_ftp.sidearmsports.com/c...9/confldrs.htm

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
          Judging by Turbonium the Thunderwolves are an excellent team. The winner of game get's to face #1 seed raging purple bulls in Minnesota State U. Who stampede over their opponents. Literally!

Augustana offense
          QB. Starter was in leg air cast Sat. Backup played well in 1st start against a 3-8 team. This concerns me greatly...

RB. Rudy Sinflorant a trusty bull rusher. True frosh Jarod Epperson, breakaway runner with speed and wiggle. Had a 94 yd. TD run and several other long runs. averaged 6.7 yards a rush.

WR. Ranging from 2, 6' 4" long fluid players to smaller speedsters with acrobatic catches. An excellent group.

OL. Large, deep and experienced, Center Jake Lacina has had 24 NFL teams scout him.

Defense. average 14.7 points allowed per game. +12 on TO.

DL. Pride themselves in shutting down run, allowed 89.5 yards a game in rushing. Had 27 sacks in season.

LB. On smaller side, but quick and sure tacklers. SO. TJ Liggett 57 tackles 2 sacks, with big cast on hand.

Backfield. 18 interceptions. allowed 10 touchdowns. A nice mix of youth and upper classmen.

Am very curious to see how Augustana and U of Sioux Falls stack up against 2 of the RMAC powers. Here are NSIC stats.
          https://nsic_ftp.sidearmsports.com/c...9/confldrs.htm
          CSU-P is a solid program, I tried to simply list facts about their season stats and key players but also realize that the RMAC was possibly more top heavy than usual this year and the drop from Mines & Pueblo to the rest was huge. Of course there is the Commerce game to help show Pueblo can be very good but their stats are likely a bit inflated due to some of their competition. I know the NSIC has the same basement dwellers but I think the middle of the pack teams are superior than what we see in the RMAC.

Appreciate the info, hope you guys have a decent group of fans that will be able to make the trip, weather doesn't currently look like it will be an issue for either travel nor the game itself.
          Last edited by Turbonium; 11-18-2019, 03:53 PM.

Comment

I think it's about a 10 hour drive....so I think most who go, will fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

CSU-P is a solid program, I tried to simply list facts about their season stats and key players but also realize that the RMAC was possibly more top heavy than usual this year and the drop from Mines & Pueblo to the rest was huge. Of course there is the Commerce game to help show Pueblo can be very good but their stats are likely a bit inflated due to some of their competition. I know the NSIC has the same basement dwellers but I think the middle of the pack teams are superior than what we see in the RMAC.

Appreciate the info, hope you guys have a decent group of fans that will be able to make the trip, weather doesn't currently look like it will be an issue for either travel nor the game itself.

Comment

Yes, against Mines they just played terribly. Hats off to Mines but that wasn't the norm for Pueblo. Many guys who missed those games are also back, including far and away their most talented WR that I mentioned. I'm hoping their OC takes advantage of their WRs and lets them make plays.

If Pueblo's offense shows up I think they pull away in the second half of this one. I very much like their odds at home in what should be a physical game.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                  I think it's about a 10 hour drive....so I think most who go, will fly.

Comment

You are incorrect, they're not that wealthy... however they will fly 1st class or drive their Mercedes-Benz

Comment

Any Thunderwolf fans to banter with? You build a new stadium in 2008 and make the visiting locker room so small the visiting team cannot fit into it. A ten lane track separating the fans from the action, I thought the days of multi use stadiums were long over.

Comment

You are incorrect, they're not that wealthy... however they will fly 1st class or drive their Mercedes-Benz

Comment

Private jets, we're on it

Comment

Any Thunderwolf fans to banter with? You build a new stadium in 2008 and make the visiting locker room so small the visiting team cannot fit into it. A ten lane track separating the fans from the action, I thought the days of multi use stadiums were long over.
                            Who cares about the visiting team anyways? Go play at Western State an you have a .25 mile walk to go to the locker rooms.

I think CSU-P put their money saved from needing 2 separate stadiums into the program to win several conference championships and a national championship. I know you wouldn't know about those things so feel free to ask questions if needed ;).

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Who cares about the visiting team anyways? Go play at Western State an you have a .25 mile walk to go to the locker rooms.

I think CSU-P put their money saved from needing 2 separate stadiums into the program to win several conference championships and a national championship. I know you wouldn't know about those things so feel free to ask questions if needed ;).
                              Are you the spokes person for all or the RMAC? As far as NC the Vikings have 3 in the last 4 seasons, Mens BB, Baseball and Softball. My aim was to get a CSUP fan posting.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X