Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using just Division II schools, here's what a potential split could look like. There could be others that decide to join from Division III or NAIA rather than some of the geographic outliers. They might not be as strong from Day 1, but some could be better fits within the conference footprints.

Comment

• Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
      Assuming Auggie stays next season, the football part is simple. Just slide CSP to the north.
      Augie will be in the NSIC for the 2020-21 school year

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Using just Division II schools, here's what a potential split could look like. There could be others that decide to join from Division III or NAIA rather than some of the geographic outliers. They might not be as strong from Day 1, but some could be better fits within the conference footprints.

Comment

• I would have done anything to compete against those NSIC schools during my day, when it broke down they joined my last season. If MN broke away I'd be incredibly sick. Also, really don't think the NSIC would like losing NSU for no other reason than the fan base. While they arent loud, it certainly helps with attendance at events (when we make it).

Comment

• All fair points.
            1. NSIC obviously doesn't require football anymore.
            2a. Tech was an old NIC school from the late 50s through the 70s, back when it was otherwise just a MN conference. They often play some of the MN schools in nonconference hoops.
            2b. Obviously, USF and Northern are the two with the right to be the most unhappy with the split as shown.
            3. Kearney was one I definitely hesitated to include. The main benefit of this would be joining with the other NE schools.
            4. Yeah, that's why I included Billings, even though it stretched the conference further. Current closest conference trip is roughly equivalent to a road trip to Moorhead, but look at all the other opponents in between.
            5. I like the current structure too, if the desire is to stay at 16. But the landscape is changing whether we like it or not, so I think it'd be foolish not to look at ways it could change.

Comment

• Add Mi Tech and Northern MI to the north division

Comment

• Originally posted by Umdfan35 View Post
                Add Mi Tech and Northern MI to the north division
                With the conference going all the way out to central ND, that's not in the best interest of the MI schools. They likely wouldn't consider moving unless the NSIC split.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

With the conference going all the way out to central ND, that's not in the best interest of the MI schools. They likely wouldn't consider moving unless the NSIC split.
                  Granted they have some Michigan schools, Marquette to Minot or Wayne is the same as Houghton to Ashland or for Upper Iowa to Minot. That's the outer edge. Seems more likely that an NSIC school or two would join the GLIAC.

Comment

• Yeah. There are several D3 schools in Wisconsin that should be competing at our level but are not for political reasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

Granted they have some Michigan schools, Marquette to Minot or Wayne is the same as Houghton to Ashland or for Upper Iowa to Minot. That's the outer edge. Seems more likely that an NSIC school or two would join the GLIAC.
                      And if the difference is negligible, why would they leave a conference full of fellow in-state schools? IMO they'd only leave if there's considerable improvement in travel expenses.

Plus, they'd essentially be adding a second or even third trip to Ashland every year with trips to Bismarck and Wayne.

Comment

• I just hope we get 1 noncon game per year in the future (for the sake of variety.) I doubt much changes in the near future outside of football. Augie still likely has awhile before they go D1. Maybe mens soccer and womens lacrosse get added as conference sports (which means mankato likely adds them at some point).

Comment

• Comment

• I would imagine USF and Wayne would get invites to the MIAA, before UNK would leave for that. Two schools that are typically competitive in just about all the core sports.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X