Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSIC's Future

With the loss of Augie, and it's a big loss, what does the league do in response?

Most logical I suppose is to find a new No. 16. Who is that?

Morningside
    Black Hills State
    Nebraska-Kearney
    Chadron State.

Not a lot of great options.

Maybe this move spurs other schools to change league or division affiliation. What say you?

Comment

Re: NSIC's Future

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
      With the loss of Augie, and it's a big loss, what does the league do in response?

Morningside- doesn't want to leave NAIA. Likes winning a lot.
      Black Hills State- too far away
      Nebraska-Kearney- Wayne would like it but it is a long ways away. Makes more sense that Chadron or BHS
      Chadron State.- too far away

Maybe this move spurs other schools to change league or division affiliation. What say you?
      As I said in another post, it was pointed out to me yesterday that the NCAA says a new league needs ten teams. So splitting the NSIC in two won't work unless you get other D2 teams to leave their conferences- and why would they do that? Or get NAIA or D3 teams to move up- leaving the same question.

As you said, not a lot of great options. I'm sure that the league office has been looking into this. The fantasy of St. John's and/or St. Thomas leaving their exclusive club is highly unlikely. It may be a school coming out of nowhere who wants to take the plunge, but I don't know who that would be.

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post

Morningside
        Black Hills State
        Nebraska-Kearney
        Chadron State.

Or just leave the league at 15. That would give football the opportunity to schedule a non-con game every other year.

Comment

Let us look back at the past to help us remember how we got here.

2006- NAIA Mary & D3 Upper Iowa join to bring membership to 10.
          2008- NCC disbands. UMD, MSU, St. Cloud rejoin the NSIC. Augie joins for the first time
          2012- NAIA schools Minot and USF bring membership to 16.

So- there isn't a lot of history with Augie in the NSIC- just ten years. The other three NCC schools had a long association with NSIC teams. Most people would be surprised at the football success of USF who had an immediate impact from the first year. Mary & Minot would probably both tell you that they have been disappointed so far. But has anyone heard even one word about their going back? Not me. Remember, we are mostly dealing with football and men's basketball here since that is what the majority of the posts deal with.

Comment

Drop UMC?

Comment

I don't see any viable replacements, at least at present, for Augustana. I'm fine with just continuing with 15, if it has to be. I believe it would be unfair to UMC to ask them to leave. They have had some moderate success in sports other than football recently. Also, they have limited or no options as to a conference affiliation if they were to leave the NSIC.

Comment

Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post
                I don't see any viable replacements, at least at present, for Augustana. I'm fine with just continuing with 15, if it has to be. I believe it would be unfair to UMC to ask them to leave. They have had some moderate success in sports other than football recently. Also, they have limited or no options as to a conference affiliation if they were to leave the NSIC.
                True points.

Just purely speculative on my end, certainly no ill-will towards them.

Comment

Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post
                  Many years ago many big 10 and media fans wanted Northwestern out of the league for lack of performance. Eventually they got athletics rolling and look at them now. UMC is a member in good standing. There will always be a last place school in every league. If you pick the low hanging fruit off the tree, your school might be the next low hanging fruit. Alright my fruit analogy is strange, but you get the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                    Many years ago many big 10 and media fans wanted Northwestern out of the league for lack of performance. Eventually they got athletics rolling and look at them now. UMC is a member in good standing. There will always be a last place school in every league. If you pick the low hanging fruit off the tree, your school might be the next low hanging fruit. Alright my fruit analogy is strange, but you get the picture.
                    I like fruit.

Comment

Minot, Mary and Crookston to the North Star. Problem solved :)

Comment

Comment

I don't imagine they would do it, but has there ever been any discussion of any of the D3 Wisconsin schools moving up to D2?

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
                            I don't imagine they would do it, but has there ever been any discussion of any of the D3 Wisconsin schools moving up to D2?
                            Convince UW-Superior to get their football program back! Then, they hire Arnold to be the strength and conditioning coach. They'd dominate the conference!

Nah, it's fun to think about but I doubt it would ever happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
                              The Wisconsin legislature would not be friendly to having one or even two teams start scholarship football. If anyone would start higher than D3 it would be Green Bay or Milwaukee to FCS. I don't think Marquette has any interest.

The Badgers are a monopoly, even more so than the Gophers or Cornhuskers.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X