Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NSIC's Future

Then let the league split up into two: the Minnesota schools plus Upper Iowa in one league and the Dakota/Nebraska schools (with a couple of teams plucked from the RMAC - Black Hills, SD Mines and Chadron) in the other.

Barring that, I don't know what other options might be out there.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
      Then let the league split up into two: the Minnesota schools plus Upper Iowa in one league and the Dakota/Nebraska schools (with a couple of teams plucked from the RMAC - Black Hills, SD Mines and Chadron) in the other.

I've been saying this exact thing for years!!!!!!! It makes sense size wise and allows for ooc games.

Referring to the UIU poster, I personally don't want them to leave but if UIU leaves it could help too. Though I'd much rather prefer UMC to be given walking papers which would likely force them to drop to D3 where it belongs.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
        I don't imagine they would do it, but has there ever been any discussion of any of the D3 Wisconsin schools moving up to D2?
        What about UW Parkside??

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Insert crying emoji

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
            Insert crying emoji
            You would be quite dominant for some time imo

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
              What about UW Parkside??
              They're not a football school. That's why they're "allowed" to be D2.

Comment

This would be interesting.

And while UIU wouldn't have schools at super close distance (closest is Quincy - 226 miles), it also wouldn't have the two absurdly-long trips either (longest is Bellarmine - 572 miles).

Comment

At one point years back, Buena Vista in Storm Lake, Iowa was mentioned. Wonder if that would still be a possibility. Morningside is the perfect fit for many reasons other than the fact that they don't want to go anywhere. Which makes it more difficult! :) William Penn has fielded good teams in basketball recently and does have a football team. They'd be a better fit geographically with Missouri schools though (or GLVC).

Grand View in Des Moines is probably high on the list too. The NSIC would likely prefer to replace Augie with another decent sized market (Des Moines, Sioux City, etc.) I would think. But which one and which school?

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
                    At one point years back, Buena Vista in Storm Lake, Iowa was mentioned. Wonder if that would still be a possibility. Morningside is the perfect fit for many reasons other than the fact that they don't want to go anywhere. Which makes it more difficult! :) William Penn has fielded good teams in basketball recently and does have a football team. They'd be a better fit geographically with Missouri schools though (or GLVC).

Grand View in Des Moines is probably high on the list too. The NSIC would likely prefer to replace Augie with another decent sized market (Des Moines, Sioux City, etc.) I would think. But which one and which school?
                    I don't hate the idea of adding another solid market like Des Moines, but I still struggle with the idea of pushing our footprint even larger. Sioux City is within our current footprint, but Des Moines is not. If they moved up to D2, I actually think it would strengthen the possibility of Upper Iowa (and GV) moving to the GLVC because it would give them a better travel partner than anyone currently in that league.

Comment

You would be quite dominant for some time imo
                      Call me crazy, but I like being in as tough a conference as we can have. My last year didnt go as well as I hoped at NSU but was when the old NCC schools joined. I was looking forward to it so, so much!

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                        Call me crazy, but I like being in as tough a conference as we can have. My last year didnt go as well as I hoped at NSU but was when the old NCC schools joined. I was looking forward to it so, so much!
                        Meh much like many Maverick fans now that want to stay D2 because of recent success. You may learn to prefer the new conference because it means conference titles more regularly

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                          As I said in another post, it was pointed out to me yesterday that the NCAA says a new league needs ten teams. So splitting the NSIC in two won't work unless you get other D2 teams to leave their conferences- and why would they do that? Or get NAIA or D3 teams to move up- leaving the same question.
                          I still think there are reasons that splitting up the conference could make sense, and would also make it more likely for other schools to leave their current conferences.

Just as a hypothetical, it wouldn't make sense for the UP schools to join the NSIC as currently constructed, but if the league saw a geographic split off into two conferences, it would make more sense. Same situation for the other two SD schools and/or the other NE schools. Not saying that would or should happen, but just explaining why it could happen.

Like you said, new conferences need 10 schools. And I believe all sponsored sports need at least 6 members for postseason AQ status. So from the current 15, there probably would need to be 5 additions minimum. I just gave 6 possibilities that are already in Division II, plus any other possibles that could consider moving up to Division II.

Comment

So what's everyone's best guess?

I doubt the league stays at 15. I look for one of the Minnesota D3's to move up

Comment

Meh much like many Maverick fans now that want to stay D2 because of recent success. You may learn to prefer the new conference because it means conference titles more regularly
                              He!! no...my goodness, if we want to go the route of just title hunting, then sure, let's just go North Star or anywhere back in the NAIA. I hate that mentality. When I coached at a D3 school in the UMAC it was a constant battle. Oh, won the UMAC, that's exciting! No...it isn't. The UMAC may be the worst conference in D3, you know what is fulfilling? Competing at the region level or even lifting the conference to another level. This isnt an attack on you, I promise, but you build to beat the best, there are Steps to get there no matter who you are, but seeking an easier route for a lesser prize make me want to puke. Its borderline where NSU was in the early 2000s (athletic mentality throughout) and makes me so grateful for where it has gone to now.

Sorry, I'm sure you are off my lawn by now, haha

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
                                So what's everyone's best guess?

I doubt the league stays at 15. I look for one of the Minnesota D3's to move up
                                No one in the UMAC could sniff the NSIC and I don't think anyone in the MIAC would make the move. That conference is a whole different beast of pride.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X