Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NSIC's Future

Originally posted by StateU View Post
    Ok, fine. Throw out the word "rivalry" and replace it with "interesting". There aren't that many games that I'm interested in going to anymore. My God ... I get more excited to watch the St Cloud v St John's basketball game than 99% of the NSIC games.
    Admittedly a percentage of that disinterest is due to the mediocre football and basketball teams at SC lately. But when SC when north, my interest in NSIC sports went south. You people in the south have no idea ...
    I can get on board with that side of it for St. Cloud, for sure.

Another fair point. But when you go to games, do you go to watch your team and cheer them on? Or do you go to simply watch the other team?

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
      Oh I'm sure they do. The NSIC had times where they could stand toe to toe via a team here or there, but the NCC as a whole was the bigger, better, higher funded schools.
      Absolutely, the NSIC could and still does hold their own. Just a perception of some and a silly reason not to go to games now. Are you (fans) supporting YOUR school or pissed that they're not playing the same teams they did before?

However, I don't ever fault people for not going to games since they do cost money. And with the ability to steam for free the last number of years, I get it. Would just prefer to see more people at games. As it sounds you would too.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
        I can get on board with that side of it for St. Cloud, for sure.

Another fair point. But when you go to games, do you go to watch your team and cheer them on? Or do you go to simply watch the other team?
        Fair point

Comment

I think that people have to look at what a rivalry is- or was.

For decades MSU's biggest rival was St Cloud. Home and away in basketball, battle for the Training Kit, mutual dislike in ALL sports- baseball, softball, women's basketball. Unfortunately a lot of that has gone away. Hallenbeck used to be full- and the Taylor Center would get one of the biggest crowds of the year. The 2013 football playoff game was electric when SCSU upset the Mavs- that place was LOUD. Yes, scheduling has a lot to do with that- play football every other year, play one conference game a season in basketball.

Who is the biggest rival for the Mavs in football? In the South, USF. In the North, UMD. There is a bigger rivalry now with Winona than with SCSU. The basketball rivalry with Winona isn't what it used to be- will the other purple opponent take that spot? I would say Southwest has been a very good matchup.

Augie actually became a much bigger rival since the two schools joined the NSIC. A lot of that is because both are in the South.

Comment

Rivals aren't made from geography alone though. When Mary had their little run in basketball, there was a mini-rivalry between them and others.

In football, MSU and CSU-Pueblo are forming a nice little rivalry. And they're even further away than North Dakota schools are.
            Geography is a big factor, especially in D-II. It's always going to be exciting when the best teams play each other, but you can get a better version of that through non-conference games and the NCAA playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
              I think that people have to look at what a rivalry is- or was.

For decades MSU's biggest rival was St Cloud. Home and away in basketball, battle for the Training Kit, mutual dislike in ALL sports- baseball, softball, women's basketball. Unfortunately a lot of that has gone away. Hallenbeck used to be full- and the Taylor Center would get one of the biggest crowds of the year. The 2013 football playoff game was electric when SCSU upset the Mavs- that place was LOUD. Yes, scheduling has a lot to do with that- play football every other year, play one conference game a season in basketball.

Who is the biggest rival for the Mavs in football? In the South, USF. In the North, UMD. There is a bigger rivalry now with Winona than with SCSU. The basketball rivalry with Winona isn't what it used to be- will the other purple opponent take that spot? I would say Southwest has been a very good matchup.

Augie actually became a much bigger rival since the two schools joined the NSIC. A lot of that is because both are in the South.
              Agree. Rivals are fluid. Basketball is doing better at trying to revive the SCSU/MSU rivalry with scheduling each other for a non-conference game on top of the once a year meeting.

Football poses a different challenge with the silo scheduling. If that were to ever change, I'd guess that they'd be on each other' schedule annually.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                Geography is a big factor, especially in D-II. It's always going to be exciting when the best teams play each other, but you can get a better version of that through non-conference games and the NCAA playoffs.
                If your geographical rival (St Mary's) is a bad team, is it still exciting?

Comment

If your geographical rival (St Mary's) is a bad team, is it still exciting?
                  Not now, because they are terrible. Geography is important, but obviously the game still has to be competitive. I think they are still winning the overall win-loss war in basketball though.

In football, Winona State used to play UW-Lacrosse until they realized that it was hurting their playoff chances. I always enjoyed those games. The opposing fans would steal our cheerleaders, and there was always a lot of banter between the players and fans. I can't even imagine how intense it would be if they played in the same division. Same can be said for a few other Wisconsin schools.

Comment

Not now, because SMU is terrible. Geography is important, but obviously the game still has to be competitive. I think they are still winning the overall win-loss war in basketball though.

In football, Winona State used to play UW-Lacrosse until they realized that it was hurting their playoff chances. I always enjoyed those games. The opposing fans would steal our cheerleaders, and there was always a lot of banter between the players and fans. I can't even imagine how intense it would be if they played in the same division. Same can be said for a few other Wisconsin schools.
                    I guess that's the point I'm trying to make. Rivalries change.

Stealing cheerleaders? Those are quite the shenanigans!!

Comment

Going to throw a school out there many haven't thought about, but just had their first winning season in FB, has always been solid in BB (both mens and womens) and has an old Wayne State coach for FB, Dennis Wagner. Briar Cliff University in Sioux City. no crazier than when Upper Iowa moved up. Gives you location, sports and more southern exposure

Comment

I guess that's the point I'm trying to make. Rivalries change.

Stealing cheerleaders? Those are quite the shenanigans!!
                        Its crazy how kids remember certain things. One school stole the flag, so the opposing mascot went across, picked up one of the cheerleaders, and brought her to the other side. Probably would not get away with that in 2018.

Comment

Its crazy how kids remember certain things. One school stole the flag, so the opposing mascot went across, picked up one of the cheerleaders, and brought her to the other side. Probably would not get away with that in 2018.
                          If we can't agree on anything else today, we can agree on this!

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
                            None taken...I'm part of the extreme minority on this board that wants MSU to move up
                            In a more perfect world, that would be nice. I simply don't see a real push for it at MSU at present; nor do I see where the financial backing would come from. Awhile back I had a conversation with a higher-level MSU administrator about this topic. He mentioned that one aspect of this is would the perspective of the community and fan base change sufficiently if a move up was made, or not. In other words, would there be enough interest in the community and surrounding area to increase attendance and interest enough to justify the investment in Division I. No one knows for sure of course, but basically it is a very large risk for administrators to take a chance on this. At the end of the day, bills need to be paid and the investment justified. And that is assuming money is available for the move up. Currently I am unaware of that possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post
                              In a more perfect world, that would be nice. I simply don't see a real push for it at MSU at present; nor do I see where the financial backing would come from. Awhile back I had a conversation with a higher-level MSU administrator about this topic. He mentioned that one aspect of this is would the perspective of the community and fan base change sufficiently if a move up was made, or not. In other words, would there be enough interest in the community and surrounding area to increase attendance and interest enough to justify the investment in Division I. No one knows for sure of course, but basically it is a very large risk for administrators to take a chance on this. At the end of the day, bills need to be paid and the investment justified. And that is assuming money is available for the move up. Currently I am unaware of that possibility.
                              New stadium gotta happen for any real possibility to move up...

Comment

Whoa is me, problems of the Rich...

We'd love to have 10 teams in the GSC and you guys have a problem with 15. The scheduling issue with an odd amount of teams can be worked out; I'd suggest you guys hold on to as many teams as you can. When a third to a half of the GSC left to form the GAC with some other teams, it left the remaining teams scrapping for enough games to qualify for the playoffs. Trust me, you don't want to be in that situation.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X