Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NSIC's Future

On a sort of related note.....

Morningside just won the NAIA national championship....beat Benedictine 35-28

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
      So what's everyone's best guess?

I doubt the league stays at 15. I look for one of the Minnesota D3's to move up
      Haaaaaaa not a chance!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
        He!! no...my goodness, if we want to go the route of just title hunting, then sure, let's just go North Star or anywhere back in the NAIA. I hate that mentality. When I coached at a D3 school in the UMAC it was a constant battle. Oh, won the UMAC, that's exciting! No...it isn't. The UMAC may be the worst conference in D3, you know what is fulfilling? Competing at the region level or even lifting the conference to another level. This isnt an attack on you, I promise, but you build to beat the best, there are Steps to get there no matter who you are, but seeking an easier route for a lesser prize make me want to puke. Its borderline where NSU was in the early 2000s (athletic mentality throughout) and makes me so grateful for where it has gone to now.

Sorry, I'm sure you are off my lawn by now, haha
        None taken...I'm part of the extreme minority on this board that wants MSU to move up

Comment

Very little chance of that as they are content to just stay small d3 schools and hate the other D3 schools in this state....the only off chance IMO would be Gustavus

Comment

There wouldn't be a good option there other than St. Thomas. And if they move up, I'd bet they would skip right past D2.

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
              Very little chance of that as they are content to just stay small d3 schools and hate the other D3 schools in this state....the only off chance IMO would be Gustavus
              Gustavus would struggle to be as competitive as Crookston.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                He!! no...my goodness, if we want to go the route of just title hunting, then sure, let's just go North Star or anywhere back in the NAIA. I hate that mentality. When I coached at a D3 school in the UMAC it was a constant battle. Oh, won the UMAC, that's exciting! No...it isn't. The UMAC may be the worst conference in D3, you know what is fulfilling? Competing at the region level or even lifting the conference to another level. This isnt an attack on you, I promise, but you build to beat the best, there are Steps to get there no matter who you are, but seeking an easier route for a lesser prize make me want to puke. Its borderline where NSU was in the early 2000s (athletic mentality throughout) and makes me so grateful for where it has gone to now.

Sorry, I'm sure you are off my lawn by now, haha
                This is in reference to your question on the basketball side about the empty Taylor Center. Many fans still see the NSIC as much lesser than the NCC. Which leads to far fewer butts in seats. Same mentality as you reference here (and I agree with you).

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
                  This is in reference to your question on the basketball side about the empty Taylor Center. Many fans still see the NSIC as much lesser than the NCC. Which leads to far fewer butts in seats. Same mentality as you reference here (and I agree with you).
                  To pair with that ... Nobody gets up for Mary, or CSP, or Minot, or USF (basketball) .... There's just no rivalries that were added other than Winona but that existed before we moved to the NSIC

Comment

To pair with that ... Nobody gets up for Mary, or CSP, or Minot, or USF (basketball) .... There's just no rivalries that were added other than Winona but that existed before we moved to the NSIC
                    Hard to imagine why a team in Mankato, Minnesota can't develop a good rivalry with a team in Bismark, North Dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                      Hard to imagine why a team in Mankato, Minnesota can't develop a good rivalry with a team in Bismark, North Dakota.
                      That's part of the problem though, not every game has to be (or will be) a rivalry game. If every game was a rivalry game, they would just be normal games.

Comment

That's part of the problem though, not every game has to be (or will be) a rivalry game. If every game was a rivalry game, they would just be normal games.
                        I prefer a structure in which most of the games at least had the potential to become rivalries, and teams had the opportunity to go out and schedule non-conference games. Obviously the NSIC decided to go a different route.

Comment

Most logical I suppose is to find a new No. 16. Who is that?
                          I hear there are some good teams in Washington. Maybe they want to join.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                            I prefer a structure in which most of the games at least had the potential to become rivalries, and teams had the opportunity to go out and schedule non-conference games. Obviously the NSIC decided to go a different route.
                            Rivals aren't made from geography alone though. When Mary had their little run in basketball, there was a mini-rivalry between them and others.

In football, MSU and CSU-Pueblo are forming a nice little rivalry. And they're even further away than North Dakota schools are.

Comment

Ok, fine. Throw out the word "rivalry" and replace it with "interesting". There aren't that many games that I'm interested in going to anymore. My God ... I get more excited to watch the St Cloud v St John's basketball game than 99% of the NSIC games.
                              Admittedly a percentage of that disinterest is due to the mediocre football and basketball teams at SC lately. But when SC when north, my interest in NSIC sports went south. You people in the south have no idea ...

Comment

Oh I'm sure they do. The NSIC had times where they could stand toe to toe via a team here or there, but the NCC as a whole was the bigger, better, higher funded schools.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X