Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NSIC's Future

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
    With the way scheduling works for the biggest sports (football and basketball) I've always kind of viewed the NSIC somewhat as two separate conferences already. NSU plays the North teams every year in football and twice a year in basketball and gets built in games against the South on the schedule. When you put the two together it makes for one of the premier conferences in D2. I do believe 16 is a good number for this set up and I think the NSIC wants that too. I don't think it is really feasible to bring in another team that is already D2 (Michigan teams would seem like a combo deal, western SD and Chadron as well and too far west, Kearney maybe would they leave the MIAA?). If I was an NAIA or D3 school with any aspirations of moving to D2 I would already have made my call to the NSIC. One of the MN or WI schools would be ideal for the conference, but as was mentioned I don't think they are interested. I would expect a school from Iowa as the best possibility and personally would like to see Morningside but they may not be interested in moving up either. The conference will be a little weaker now with whoever replaces Augie, but I believe the school that joins the NSIC will have every opportunity to gain exposure and improve its athletic profile.

I agree. Whoever is interested has already made that call. I don't believe that Nebraska Kearney would be interested in a lateral move to the NSIC, and are interesting in losing the proximity with their current rivals.

University of Jamestown is a interesting option though. 90 minutes from Fargo. They recently have been putting a lot of money into athletics, and stated that they would continue to do so. I was up there when they were recruiting my son, and they may want to move up. But they just joined a conference this year so the interest may not be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
      I think the timing of this suggests, Augie or not....Sioux Falls and the NSIC will continue to be partners since the conference tourney has bloomed since arriving at the Pentagon in SF....and the NSIC has surely seen how Sioux Falls has been a tremendous host for the Summit League basketball tournament, the NAIA hoops championship, the D2 natty (hoops), and such. The group that runs this in SF really does a top notch job of making the event feel big-time for the kids and I know the commish Erin Lind values the partnership as we've chatted about SF as a host at Pentagon events before.

Having the games and such on Midco (regional cable) with their HD production helps from an exposure standpoint..especially when comparing with other D2 conference tournies. I realize that people in other communities would like to see events like the conference tournament in different locations, but if I'm the NSIC office no need to change a really good thing. I'm sure they don't see another NSIC town bringing as much to the table as what they have with SF now.
      Agree

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
        There will always be people who will not care, no matter where you're at. That's not what I'm talking about.

Don't forget about the importance of media coverage. The tournament would get zero exposure if it were hosted in St. Paul, for example. Sioux Falls has treated the NSIC well, and Midco being in the backyard has no doubt played a significant role in keeping the tournament there. Remember that the NSIC likely is paying Midco a decent amount to provide coverage. In another town, if you still paid them to cover it, along with that would be 5 or 6 nights of hotels for the probably close to 40 crew members. Most of them probably live in or around SF, so there's no extra expense needed for hotels.
        They tried doing it in the Twin Cities at CSP for a long time and the Twin Cities media ignored us. At least Sioux Falls and Midco care. We can complain about the league being Sioux Falls focused, but that is partly because when we tried to get the Twin Cities media to care, they didn't

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
          Can we PLEASE put this to rest. Neither school is goimg D1 anytime soon, if at all. As I've said many times before, the only people who think those schools are thinking D1 are fans of other schools.
          True and fair point. Just my trolling !

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
            Can we PLEASE put this to rest. Neither school is goimg D1 anytime soon, if at all. As I've said many times before, the only people who think those schools are thinking D1 are fans of other schools.
            I find this more likely though than the league splitting into 2 - both unlikely, but this would happen before 2 leagues

Comment

Originally posted by 212 Degrees View Post
              University of Jamestown is a interesting option though. 90 minutes from Fargo. They recently have been putting a lot of money into athletics, and stated that they would continue to do so. I was up there when they were recruiting my son, and they may want to move up. But they just joined a conference this year so the interest may not be there.
              Interesting indeed. A couple of random thoughts.....
              -Facilities are adequate. Looks like football field is grass though.
              -Actually didn't realize the city of Jamestown was as big as it is. Size is comparable to Marshall and Bemidji. Adequate.
              -Fits within the conference footprint. Three NSIC schools within ~100 miles.
              -Possible drawback: Would it force SCSU to the NSIC South? Arguably creates even more imbalance.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
                True and fair point. Just my trolling !
                No pie for you! :smile-big:

Comment

-Possible drawback: Would it force SCSU to the NSIC South? Arguably creates even more imbalance.
                  This would sit well for maverick fans!!

Comment

Interesting indeed. A couple of random thoughts.....
                    -Facilities are adequate. Looks like football field is grass though.
                    -Actually didn't realize the city of Jamestown was as big as it is. Size is comparable to Marshall and Bemidji. Adequate.
                    -Fits within the conference footprint. Three NSIC schools within ~100 miles.

They would have to make some improvements with their stadium but on our visit, they just opened a new field turf practice field, training center, basketball arena, and had plans for more expansion. They appeared convinced that the program, athletic department and facilities would continue to expand because the backing of the university and community.

I bet further improvements and location would make for a good sales pitch to NSIC. I think the NAIA Iowa schools would need convincing to move but I think Jamestown would jump at it.

Just a theory.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
                      They tried doing it in the Twin Cities at CSP for a long time and the Twin Cities media ignored us. At least Sioux Falls and Midco care. We can complain about the league being Sioux Falls focused, but that is partly because when we tried to get the Twin Cities media to care, they didn't
                      100%. I've never had a problem with Sioux Falls being the hub, and it seems that most don't either from comments on the board. I'd rather have a hub that cares and promotes it than try the twin cities again and get ignored.

Comment

One thing I hadn't realized before my research on Grand View is that their football and wrestling programs are only about a decade old. Both started in 2008.
                        The GVU wrestling program would change with a move to D2. They've relied on NCAA transfers alot and that would need to be adjusted once they would leave the NAIA. They may (as well as other NAIA D-I bball schools) look at NCAA more seriously now that the NAIA is going back to one Basketball division with just 8 scholarships, that's a reduction from 11 (NAIA D-2 allows 6 currently). GVU football would compare with Upper Iowa and SMSU at this point. Its been 5 years since they won the Chipper and whipped Drake in back to back seasons. solid program, but not top 5 in the NAIA anymore

Comment

:smile-big:
                          Last edited by MaxMarauder53; 01-15-2019, 11:04 PM. Reason: Change of information

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                            Minot, Mary and Crookston to the North Star. Problem solved :)

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
                              You would be quite dominant for some time imo

In Basketball but there are other sports as well.

Comment

If you remember Morningside was in the NCC. They dropped out for a reason. Cash! I believe they like were their at.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X