Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanger86
    replied
    Is it a bad sign when the rushing offense is the second worst in Division II and the rushing defense is the worst in Division II?

Leave a comment:

• 212 Degrees
    replied
    Originally posted by Otis Day View Post

I hate to beat a dead horse (pun intended?) and you fans likely already know this, but to me this remains SMSU's glaring weakness. The guys up front are just not there.

I was shocked with how easily the Coo O-line blew off the SMSU D-line watching Saturday and frankly, it was the exact same way when I played 6 years ago. And I was an undersized o-lineman. This is likely all systematic with the lower number of scholarships affecting recruiting. But man, if you guys could ever get a team to compliment some of the skill guys and offenses you've put together, it'd be fun. Hope y'all can piece it together in the future. As a SWMN native I really hope the USF-SMSU games blossom, especially with Augie leaving.
    Yup. I saw that during the game. Both lines (DL and OL) were just manhandled. We appeared confident that we had 3 starting OLineman returning but the rushing performance seems the same as last year. The DLine (if you look at the roster/weights) just seems too small. That has to be a point of emphasis going forward.

Leave a comment:

• 212 Degrees
    replied
    Originally posted by DAWGS View Post

Unfortuneatly, for 2 years in a row now, the even "earlier trajectory game" has been with Wayne State, and SMSU has dropped that game both years. Realizing that in order to get a winning season we have to typically beat the non-upper tier teams in the south division (Wayne certainly being one of them) and defeat the beatable teams in the weaker North division. We have come out two years in a row now and played Kato tough. Holding our own. Then for 2 years in a row we have dropped the Wayne State game, which has been a huge opportunity for momentum forward in both years. Beating the nationally ranked teams in the South will happen occasionally, but rarely. I agree with "212" - if SMSU loses the next two weeks, we will be lucky to get a win the rest of the way. Getting healthy at QB, would help.
    Agreed. It's tough sledding after these 2 games. I think Upper Iowa and Minot are in the same boat and are thinking the game vs. SMSU is a must-win too.

Leave a comment:

• MrMustang
    replied
    Originally posted by DAWGS View Post

Unfortuneatly, for 2 years in a row now, the even "earlier trajectory game" has been with Wayne State, and SMSU has dropped that game both years. Realizing that in order to get a winning season we have to typically beat the non-upper tier teams in the south division (Wayne certainly being one of them) and defeat the beatable teams in the weaker North division. We have come out two years in a row now and played Kato tough. Holding our own. Then for 2 years in a row we have dropped the Wayne State game, which has been a huge opportunity for momentum forward in both years. Beating the nationally ranked teams in the South will happen occasionally, but rarely. I agree with "212" - if SMSU loses the next two weeks, we will be lucky to get a win the rest of the way. Getting healthy at QB, would help.
    correct

Leave a comment:

• Otis Day
    replied
    Originally posted by 212 Degrees View Post
    So after 3 games, our opponents are averaging 337 rushing yards per game! While, SMSU is averaging only 18 yards rushing per game! I can't believe how God-Awful that is. I know Mankato and Sioux falls are traditionally strong teams but we didn't fare any better against WSC. Please get out of the 3-4 defense and do whatever it takes to establish the running game on offense.

These next 2 games (Upper Iowa and Minot) will decide the trajectory of the season.
    I hate to beat a dead horse (pun intended?) and you fans likely already know this, but to me this remains SMSU's glaring weakness. The guys up front are just not there.

I was shocked with how easily the Coo O-line blew off the SMSU D-line watching Saturday and frankly, it was the exact same way when I played 6 years ago. And I was an undersized o-lineman. This is likely all systematic with the lower number of scholarships affecting recruiting. But man, if you guys could ever get a team to compliment some of the skill guys and offenses you've put together, it'd be fun. Hope y'all can piece it together in the future. As a SWMN native I really hope the USF-SMSU games blossom, especially with Augie leaving.

Leave a comment:

• DAWGS
    replied
    Originally posted by 212 Degrees View Post
    So after 3 games, our opponents are averaging 337 rushing yards per game! While, SMSU is averaging only 18 yards rushing per game! I can't believe how God-Awful that is. I know Mankato and Sioux falls are traditionally strong teams but we didn't fare any better against WSC. Please get out of the 3-4 defense and do whatever it takes to establish the running game on offense.

These next 2 games (Upper Iowa and Minot) will decide the trajectory of the season.

Leave a comment:

• 212 Degrees
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MrMustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Otis Day View Post
    So will Nava be back on Saturday Mustang fans??? Or will we see someone else?
    I believe Nava will start. I think Bauman is also back so both might play

Leave a comment:

• Otis Day
    replied
    So will Nava be back on Saturday Mustang fans??? Or will we see someone else?

Leave a comment:

• 212 Degrees
    replied
    Nava getting hurt changed the complexion and control of the game. It happened on a scramble and he got popped pretty good. I don't know why he didn't slide but I guess he was just being aggressive. Bouman wasn't in pads and was not an option. Herrera has an arm but it seems like Sauter didn't trust him in a close game. I wish Davis could more 50/50 ball opportunities downfield. We clearly need to take more chances with him.

The defense was bend but don't break, until it did. WSC threw the ball 38 times and didn't get sacked once. The 3 man rush on the last drive of regulation, when the needed a TD, was pretty bad. On a few plays, Coach Mac used a blitzing inside backer but WSC marched up the field pretty easily. But the D battled all night and was on the field it seemed like most of the game. Hope the team can bounce back against The Coo who had an impressive showing.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    I didn't watch on Saturday - internet was down at the house, so I followed on Twitter throughout the day.

I saw Nava got hurt, what happened exactly? Understandably so, the Twitter guys don't go into much detail.

Why wasn't Bouman brought in? I missed that too.

Apologize for the dumb questions, like I said I couldn't watch.

Leave a comment:

• MrMustang
    replied
    I'm convinced if Nava doesn't get hurt we win by 20-6 or 20-13. I think we score again if he plays the 4th quarter.

Having said that, what a gut punch loss. Brutal in so many ways and in 30 years I have seen a lot of bad losses.

3rd stringer can't even throw a pass so we didn't try... maybe just get Bug open a 5 yarder or a tight end short pass.

And in OT, you knew Wayne would just run it 2 times to get in the middle of the field yet we only had 7 in the box. Can't make it up.

Leave a comment:

• 212 Degrees
    replied
    Can we talk about that gut-wrenching loss on Saturday (WSC tying us with 3 seconds left in regulation) or do we all still need more time?

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Injuries, I think. Still has a chance to rank pretty high in the rushing record books.
    That makes sense. I had him on record watch last year, career TDs I think. If he picks it up a little he may still have a chance to nab it.

Leave a comment:

• SMSUFOOTBALLFAN
    replied
    Nava will get the start tonight against the Wildcats - lets hope he makes the best of it, running game has to get more yards than last week (4)

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X