• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrMustang
    replied
    Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
    That's much better.

I wasn't able to watch/listen/follow the game, but I did see a replay of Bouman to Davis on that last TD. Not sure how he caught that, honestly.

It's bitter sweet because we should be 5-2 right now, but I'll stick to focusing on the positives here. Good for the team for sticking it out and fighting for that win.
    Agree. Should be 5-2 and in the thick of the talk for a MWB bid. 2013 was fun. that could have happened again but the Bemidji loss was a monumental killer. Just awful

Leave a comment:

• MrMustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Fully agree with your take on this. The recent turnover has made it seem worse.

I think Cory does a very good job with what he's got (Marshall, less scholarships, less tradition, etc)....they have been pretty decent offensively, but need to become more solid defensively..and Sauter is an offensive guy.

Was the loss bad..obviously. But they were up 24-0 in the first place....which I didn't expect. There wasn't a lot coming back this year for SMSU and they've been respectable.
    Way too much turnover on the coaching side. It is more of a institution and budget issue that an issue with Sauter. On the administration side we've had some real idiots who run coaches out for bs reasons. Tired of it and sick of the administration that hates football not allowing Sauter to excel.

Leave a comment:

• 212 Degrees
    replied
    Good job by the Mustangs getting off the mat after last week, putting their mouthpiece back in and showing some fight Saturday. I still have no idea why we just had a 3 man rush again (like last week) on the last drive as they EASILY marched up the field. We were lucky to get that tipped pass interception and no flag.

But a win is a win.............

Leave a comment:

• Clean Liver
    replied
    On a quasi-unlrelated note, I checked in on Darveau to see where he's at. He always stuck with me because he went to Florida after his time here I believe.

Turns out he's now at the "other" USF.

Good for him.
    But they're getiin' crushed. Charlie Strong is wwwaaaayyyy overrated.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

It's pretty crazy to think about, but it's absolutely true. Had the collapse last week against Bemidji and the no-show down in Wayne gone differently, we'd be 5-2. The remaining schedule isn't easy, but there are some winnable games.
    Yeah. In some ways it's impressive, in some ways it's disappointing. It is what it is.

CSP seems winnable, and we've done well against Moorhead lately... I think finishing 5-6 is a good way to finish.

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied
    It's bitter sweet because we should be 5-2 right now, but I'll stick to focusing on the positives here. Good for the team for sticking it out and fighting for that win.
    It's pretty crazy to think about, but it's absolutely true. Had the collapse last week against Bemidji and the no-show down in Wayne gone differently, we'd be 5-2. The remaining schedule isn't easy, but there are some winnable games.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    That's much better.

I wasn't able to watch/listen/follow the game, but I did see a replay of Bouman to Davis on that last TD. Not sure how he caught that, honestly.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post

And then to Valdosta before landin' his current position. One of the REALLY GOOD guys.
    Absolutely. I was sad to see him go, but happy for him at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Witwicki
    replied
    Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

We basically have the money for 3 full-time spots, with the rest being GAs. That really hasn't changed in Sauter's time here. Let's take a look at what we've had for coaches in Sauter's 10 seasons here.....

Guenther was DC here for 8 years. Strop last year. Now McClure in his first year.

Darveau was the first OL coach, spent 4 years FT under Sauter. Frana came in for 4 years. Hiller now in his second season.

Danilo Robinson spent 1 year as LBs/recruiting coordinator. When he left, Kerr came in as LBs coach and special teams, spent 4 years here. Mike Aldrich then took that FT spot, and was here for 2 years. After Aldrich left, Ricky Thomas came in for a year. Now Bullerman is in his second season.

It's really only the one FT spot that has seen constant turnover. The other two seem to be pretty normal turnover rates, I believe. It just seems higher probably because we just recently had changes there. The rest of the staff is GAs, which obviously will shuffle in and out every couple of years.
    Fully agree with your take on this. The recent turnover has made it seem worse.

I think Cory does a very good job with what he's got (Marshall, less scholarships, less tradition, etc)....they have been pretty decent offensively, but need to become more solid defensively..and Sauter is an offensive guy.

Was the loss bad..obviously. But they were up 24-0 in the first place....which I didn't expect. There wasn't a lot coming back this year for SMSU and they've been respectable.

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied
    We basically have the money for 3 full-time spots, with the rest being GAs. That really hasn't changed in Sauter's time here. Let's take a look at what we've had for coaches in Sauter's 10 seasons here.....

Guenther was DC here for 8 years. Strop last year. Now McClure in his first year.

Darveau was the first OL coach, spent 4 years FT under Sauter. Frana came in for 4 years. Hiller now in his second season.

Danilo Robinson spent 1 year as LBs/recruiting coordinator. When he left, Kerr came in as LBs coach and special teams, spent 4 years here. Mike Aldrich then took that FT spot, and was here for 2 years. After Aldrich left, Ricky Thomas came in for a year. Now Bullerman is in his second season.

It's really only the one FT spot that has seen constant turnover. The other two seem to be pretty normal turnover rates, I believe. It just seems higher probably because we just recently had changes there. The rest of the staff is GAs, which obviously will shuffle in and out every couple of years.

Leave a comment:

• Clean Liver
    replied
    On a quasi-unlrelated note, I checked in on Darveau to see where he's at. He always stuck with me because he went to Florida after his time here I believe.

Good for him.
    And then to Valdosta before landin' his current position. One of the REALLY GOOD guys.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied

Good for him.

Leave a comment:

• Clean Liver
    replied
    Coaches come 'n go. Seems to be the nature of the business. But it is an extremely tight-knit fraternity and few of the dedicated ones are out of a job very long. It's not what ya know it's... GAs, I believe, are usually around for 2 years tryin' to get their Master's. After 2 years I'd guess they'd know if it's the field they want to pursue. I don't know about the FT guys but would guess they're year-to-year. And even then there are times when that's too long. ;-)

Leave a comment:

• DAWGS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    From what I've seen, SMSU is a stop on the career path for a lot of coaches. I don't monitor other small schools but I am guessing that's the norm.

I don't know about the transferring players. Academically, SMSU is a tougher school than most people think, and Marshall isn't -that- great of a town (sorry)... so maybe that has something to do with it.

This discussion seems to come up about once a year or so. I think we're going to have to get lucky to get some guys that want to plant roots in the community and believe in the program, and aren't just looking for a line on a resume.
    Last edited by SW_Mustang; 10-15-2019, 04:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X