Clear All

• MrMustang
    replied
    Anyone seeing or hearing on recruiting? not much noise

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post

Gettin' old but hardly a troll. Just a realist with an opinion about what should or shouldn't be considered a sport and if its inclusion will or will not boost student interest and population. I'm very happy you gifted SW with this new activity and look forward to see how it works. Although I didn't come up with such a gift, I did, over 7 years, financially and substantially support SW in various ways.

Merry Christmas.
    When I found out this was going through, I knew there would be negative feedback somewhere along the line. That's okay - what I don't appreciate is non-constructive criticism. If you'd like you have an open-minded conversation about what the plans are, then I'm all for it. Calling the project 'a joke' is not that. I can answer all of your questions to the best of my knowledge - but you have to meet me in the middle.

The term 'eSports' is what was bestowed upon the activity in question 20-25 years ago. It's out of my control what the global community has chosen to refer to itself as. I personally don't care for the term myself - it often leads to pointless debates about the semantics. It would be like trying to rename the football team "handegg" because it more accurately represents the activity in question - we just aren't going to do that.

We have adopted the program for the sole purpose of increasing enrollment. I was very adamant with the people I spoke too about this - we are not going to see returns in the first few years. Our first step is to recruit internally to build a program, then recruit externally once we get going. As of now - any student interested in participating in eSports in MN at a varsity level has two options - CSP or SMSU. My next project is to integrate it with academics, ala SD Mines/UC-Irvine/Ohio State, etc. It will work - it will take time.

As far as it being handled by the athletic department - the administration wants to issue scholarships. As it is a competition with other campuses, it only makes sense that it's handled by the athletic department moving forward. Maybe someday it can branch off into it's own governance, but for now this is how the system works and we are choosing to play by those rules.

The fact of the matter is this - SMSU will be a sinking ship in the next 5-10 years if nothing is done to boost visibility and ultimately increase enrollment. Students just don't want to come to SMSU - as hard of a pill is that is to swallow. From start to finish, I did my two SMSU degrees in 7 years - during that time, I didn't feel as if anything was being done to fix the problem. This is (one of) my 'put-up-or-shut-up' contribution to a problem I'd been complaining about. As I say a lot at my job- it will either work or it won't, but at least I can say I tried.

Leave a comment:

• Clean Liver
    replied
    Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Go away. We get it, you're playing the "old man yells at cloud" trope. It's getting old.

eSports at SMSU was my project. It was my gift to the university. I met with President Jayasuria personally and we agreed this was the direction we wanted to move in. Hmiwelwski worked very, very effing hard on this. I know he did - I sat in his meeting. The only student there, because it was my effing idea.

I'd explain how it will boost enrollment but you clearly don't care, so I won't bother. You're just here to troll, clearly. Your research means nothing to this university or this project.
    Gettin' old but hardly a troll. Just a realist with an opinion about what should or shouldn't be considered a sport and if its inclusion will or will not boost student interest and population. I'm very happy you gifted SW with this new activity and look forward to see how it works. Although I didn't come up with such a gift, I did, over 7 years, financially and substantially support SW in various ways.

Merry Christmas.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

I'm curious, does it still fall under Title IX restrictions even though it's not sanctioned by the NCAA?
    I would assume so.

Believe it or not - it's recognized by the United States Federal Government as a sport for immigration purposes, so I would imagine it would be held to the same standards. If not, a case could probably be made for it.

Thankfully, eSports is so cheap to run at the collegiate level that it shouldn't be an issue. I know that it's been brought up internally too, so I doubt there's much oversight.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied

That's a joke, correct?
    Go away. We get it, you're playing the "old man yells at cloud" trope. It's getting old.

eSports at SMSU was my project. It was my gift to the university. I met with President Jayasuria personally and we agreed this was the direction we wanted to move in. Hmiwelwski worked very, very effing hard on this. I know he did - I sat in his meeting. The only student there, because it was my effing idea.

I'd explain how it will boost enrollment but you clearly don't care, so I won't bother. You're just here to troll, clearly. Your research means nothing to this university or this project.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

Nah, it was mostly just venting. I think I'm better now.
    I didn't mean you...

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied
    Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

First off, a little morbid for my liking. Secondly, it seems Southwest has found themselves their own Common Sense (RIP)
    Nah, it was mostly just venting. I think I'm better now.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

It means quite a bit in terms of the donations from boosters and other gifts, which tie into the number of scholarships that can be offered. More dead alums equal more potential money.
    First off, a little morbid for my liking. Secondly, it seems Southwest has found themselves their own Common Sense (RIP)

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied

Means nothin'.
    It means quite a bit in terms of the donations from boosters and other gifts, which tie into the number of scholarships that can be offered. More dead alums equal more potential money.

Leave a comment:

• Clean Liver
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

well that is one reason for SMSU to add it. Also enhance the college expierence for kids with another option
    That's a joke, correct?

Leave a comment:

• Clean Liver
    replied

So what's holding us back? Is it our location? Is it the youth of the institution/lack of dead big money donors? Are there ways that we can better use these things to our advantage as opposed to just taking them for what they are and not trying to improve the situation?
    Means nothin'.

Leave a comment:

• Purple Mav Man
    replied

Yeah that's why I brought that up in the last paragraph. SMSU was founded in 1967. U-Mary (1959) is the only other NSIC school that was founded this century. Bemidji State is the next youngest institution after those two, founded in 1919.

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied
    Yeah that's why I brought that up in the last paragraph. SMSU was founded in 1967. U-Mary (1959) is the only other NSIC school that was founded this century. Bemidji State is the next youngest institution after those two, founded in 1919.

Leave a comment:

• Twincitiesmav
    replied
    OK, I want to bring something up....

When St Cloud and Crookston made their cuts, there was talk that more teams could cut football down the road. As one of the lesser-funded programs in the Northern Sun, I immediately had fears that Southwest could be one of them. Those fears about the immediate future of the program have been completely eliminated for now.

HOWEVER, the more I think about it the more I wonder what the point of this football team is. Are we trying to be competitive? I think most would say yes, despite some factors holding us back. Have we been successful in that mission? In 25 years at the Division II level, we have four winning seasons: 1999, 2008, 2013, 2015. Two years of 6-5, one at 7-5, one at 8-3. Now, I applaud this team for doing the best it can with its resources. We aren't a Crookston level of bad. But are we just wallowing in mediocrity with no hope ahead?

If the team is nothing more than a tool to help enrollment numbers, I think we need to say as much and own that decision for what it is. If winning at a high level is what's most important, at some point we need to put up or shut up as a program. I'm honestly getting sick of mediocrity. A six-win season every three to four years doesn't do it for me any more. I do think we have potential to be better. But if we don't invest the necessary resources, it's never going to happen. And at that point, maybe it's better to invest our scholarship dollars in sports that actually can compete at a higher level year. What if we invested fully in volleyball, men's basketball, etc.? Would that be better use of our resources? What would be the potential fallout of a decision like that? Maybe boosters stop donating without football, which obviously would be a point against shutting down.

One thing I do appreciate though is that ever since Danahar retired, we've seemed to have support of athletics from the very top of the university. Unfortunately, that can't be said of every school and shouldn't be taken for granted. We also have pretty solid community support. These are things that should be helping us elevate the program's profile.

So what's holding us back? Is it our location? Is it the youth of the institution/lack of dead big money donors? Are there ways that we can better use these things to our advantage as opposed to just taking them for what they are and not trying to improve the situation?

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied
    OK, I want to bring something up....

When St Cloud and Crookston made their cuts, there was talk that more teams could cut football down the road. As one of the lesser-funded programs in the Northern Sun, I immediately had fears that Southwest could be one of them. Those fears about the immediate future of the program have been completely eliminated for now.

HOWEVER, the more I think about it the more I wonder what the point of this football team is. Are we trying to be competitive? I think most would say yes, despite some factors holding us back. Have we been successful in that mission? In 25 years at the Division II level, we have four winning seasons: 1999, 2008, 2013, 2015. Two years of 6-5, one at 7-5, one at 8-3. Now, I applaud this team for doing the best it can with its resources. We aren't a Crookston level of bad. But are we just wallowing in mediocrity with no hope ahead?

If the team is nothing more than a tool to help enrollment numbers, I think we need to say as much and own that decision for what it is. If winning at a high level is what's most important, at some point we need to put up or shut up as a program. I'm honestly getting sick of mediocrity. A six-win season every three to four years doesn't do it for me any more. I do think we have potential to be better. But if we don't invest the necessary resources, it's never going to happen. And at that point, maybe it's better to invest our scholarship dollars in sports that actually can compete at a higher level year. What if we invested fully in volleyball, men's basketball, etc.? Would that be better use of our resources? What would be the potential fallout of a decision like that? Maybe boosters stop donating without football, which obviously would be a point against shutting down.

One thing I do appreciate though is that ever since Danahar retired, we've seemed to have support of athletics from the very top of the university. Unfortunately, that can't be said of every school and shouldn't be taken for granted. We also have pretty solid community support. These are things that should be helping us elevate the program's profile.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X