Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was a fun and exciting night to open the new stadium. Coach Schmidt was trying to blow the doors off the new stadium with the onside kick, which backfired a little as SMSU got the short field and the first ever TD in the stadium. Then the first play was designed to go for the bomb and a quick TD. The Mustangs were prepared for both. Overall it was a good performance for the Wolves, after halftime especially.

The defense played admirably, but there are still questions there. The SMSU QB had a couple pretty big misfires to open receivers that could have kept them in the game. As I said last week the better QBs in the league will make the Wolves pay on those plays. What was a little more concerning last night was SMSU’s ability to run the ball right up the gut. SMSU doesn’t have a great offense and they only scored 13 points, but the D needs to tighten things up to compete with Bemidji and Duluth.

Ingram is another really good WR for the Wolves. Larson garnered a lot of attention from the SMSU secondary, and Ingram made them pay. NSU has a ton of weapons for Trautman to throw the ball to. The running game is another story. They didn’t really try to run all that much against Mankato, but they were just generally unsuccessful against SMSU. Trautman cannot be our leading rusher.

After 2 weeks I think Wolves fans are generally pretty happy with the team so far. It seems obvious that Mankato isn’t what they have been the previous seasons and SMSU is a rebuilding program. But, NSU has played well and hopefully can keep building and improving this season.

Comment

I didn’t catch the game vs UMD because I was actually on a date (hehe) but sounds like I didn’t miss much.

just from some of the quick clips and stats that I looked at, It sounds like the mavs are a huge resemblance to the 2016 team that went 8-3. There are still nine games left but that is where I am seeing this team right now and now it’s clearly a retooling/rebuilding season for them.

Comment

Originally posted by CalifOKRA View Post
        Minot State is bad. I played at Delta State University back in 2006 and 2007; I was a JUCO transfer. I'm currently stationed in Minot, so I'm going to try to go to a few games while I'm here. Is MSU the worse team in the NSIC? Is it just their location, they don't get players? I love the small school football atmosphere either way and will continue to go to Minot games unless they're during a Delta stream.
        Delta - I feel as if our paths crossed or we have mutual acquaintances. I love the team this year, best team in recent memory!

Back to Minot - Location doesn't matter, remember the Grizzlies? Montana football was a powerhouse and Montana gets snow in September! HS football was no good there, Texas 6A JV teams would beat their state champions in my opinion. You can win anywhere.

I heard from someone years ago, not sure if true, but that Crookston and Minot just want big rosters, well-rounded students, and don't have many scholarships. I was looking at both school's sites - great baseball schools though. Too bad Crookston doesn't have football anymore though.

Comment

Originally posted by debergfan View Post
          I heard from someone years ago, not sure if true, but that Crookston and Minot just want big rosters, well-rounded students, and don't have many scholarships. I was looking at both school's sites - great baseball schools though. Too bad Crookston doesn't have football anymore though.
          This has largely been the case with Southwest over the past decade or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
            This has largely been the case with Southwest over the past decade or so.
            That's too bad. Are the coaches professors and tenured? The information I was told seems true based on their records and roster sizes.

Football NSIC records last three years
            SW 9-24, Minot 7-29, Crookston 1-32...all roster sizes 80-108

Men's Basketball NSIC records last three years
            SW 16-35, Minot 19-35, Crookston 17-41...all roster sizes 18-20. They must have JV teams with rosters that big? My HS baseball team had 11 guys and 3 left handers, maybe they have managers on the roster.

Comment

That's too bad. Are the coaches professors and tenured? The information I was told seems true based on their records and roster sizes.

Football NSIC records last three years
              SW 9-24, Minot 7-29, Crookston 1-32...all roster sizes 80-108

Men's Basketball NSIC records last three years
              SW 16-35, Minot 19-35, Crookston 17-41...all roster sizes 18-20. They must have JV teams with rosters that big? My HS baseball team had 11 guys and 3 left handers, maybe they have managers on the roster.
              To clarify, this is the case for football, not as much in other sports necessarily. Football once had roster size under 50 in the D2 era.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

To clarify, this is the case for football, not as much in other sports necessarily. Football once had roster size under 50 in the D2 era.
                My kind of team. “Hey coach, I’m wr and db,”

I’m just wondering why those three schools are not more successful. If the head coaches are winning only 30% or less of their games in football and mbb, can’t be fired, sounds like a nice job as long as they don’t drop the sport. All three schools seem to be good at one sport so maybe the rest have two scholarships to share? Football has large rosters but mbb you really can make a difference with a strong 1 or be really good with 5. 18-20 mbb players seems like a lot - maybe they have to spread the wealth, I guess. As a competitor, I couldn’t imagine being on a team as a player or coach where we won 1 game but I had fun and I was in the glee club.

Comment

I’m just wondering why those three schools are not more successful. If the head coaches are winning only 30% or less of their games in football and mbb, can’t be fired, sounds like a nice job as long as they don’t drop the sport. All three schools seem to be good at one sport so maybe the rest have two scholarships to share? Football has large rosters but mbb you really can make a difference with a strong 1 or be really good with 5. 18-20 mbb players seems like a lot - maybe they have to spread the wealth, I guess. As a competitor, I couldn’t imagine being on a team as a player or coach where we won 1 game but I had fun and I was in the glee club.
                  My kind of Quarterback. Steve DeBerg, six teams and top 20 statistics!

Comment

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
                    I didn’t catch the game vs UMD because I was actually on a date (hehe) but sounds like I didn’t miss much.

just from some of the quick clips and stats that I looked at, It sounds like the mavs are a huge resemblance to the 2016 team that went 8-3. There are still nine games left but that is where I am seeing this team right now and now it’s clearly a retooling/rebuilding season for them.
                    Good for you! In the last five years the Mavs have had more regular season losses than I have had dates.

Of course I mean these.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

Good for you! In the last five years the Mavs have had more regular season losses than I have had dates.

Of course I mean these.

Don't be so modest, you have too many options so you so say no to everyone as not to hurt anyone's feelings. Always took you as a raisins type of man anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

My kind of Quarterback. Steve DeBerg, six teams and top 20 statistics!
                        technically 7
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	1977T-Steve-Deberg-Dallas-Cowboys-350x350.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	599879

Comment

technically 7
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	1977T-Steve-Deberg-Dallas-Cowboys-350x350.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	599879
                          If Laker looked like Steve DeBerg he would have more female dates, instead of the kind that kept him a,"REGULAR" man.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUWarriorFan View Post

Don't be so modest, you have too many options so you so say no to everyone as not to hurt anyone's feelings. Always took you as a raisins type of man anyways.
                            How did you know???

California Raisins - Heard It Through The Grapevine (1988) - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

Of course I mean these.
                              Reminds me of the old joke where a pretty girl asked a guy if he wanted a date, but the guy replied that he preferred figs.

Comment

SMSU does pretty good in men's basketball with the scholarships it does have....which isn't much. SMSU is at/near the bottom of the NSIC year after year. And I'm not sure where you got your MBB records from. While SMSU is 11-29 in the past two seasons (COVID protocols ravaged last season), they are 29-43 in the last three seasons and 54-52 over the last four seasons.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X