Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSIC Membership

A rumor that's been posted on the realignment board states Upper Iowa has/will apply to the GLVC. And Jamestown is looking to move to the NSIC.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-847354-pos...ml#pid18290001

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
    A rumor that's been posted on the realignment board states Upper Iowa has/will apply to the GLVC. And Jamestown is looking to move to the NSIC.

Wouldn't surprise me. I also have a gut feeling that Jamestown moving up is what prompted UIU to look at the GLVC, not the otherway around.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

Yes, I heard recently that UIU had applied. I hadn't heard about Jamestown. I know that the GPAC is more highly ranked that the North Star, but the travel had to be a killer for them in comparison when they made the move. I would be surprised but nothing should do that anymore.

Comment

I don't put too much stock in message board rumors, but I'm not sure UIU to GLVC is a wise move. I'd suspect the travel would be a little more burdensome, since Mankato, St Paul and Winona are closer drives to Fayette than UIU's potentially closest GLVC rival, Quincy. Those trips to Kansas City or Bolivar aren't exactly going to be easy on the budget.
        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
          I don't put too much stock in message board rumors, but I'm not sure UIU to GLVC is a wise move. I'd suspect the travel would be a little more burdensome, since Mankato, St Paul and Winona are closer drives to Fayette than UIU's potentially closest GLVC rival, Quincy. Those trips to Kansas City or Bolivar aren't exactly going to be easy on the budget.
          Well, if UIU has already applied I sure hope they gave this some thought. Maybe they just thought it sounded good and didn't even check.

Comment

No thoughts on UIU, but I would not be sad if we decided to add Newman Arena to the NSIC. Jamestown seems to have nice athletic facilities as a whole:

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
              No thoughts on UIU, but I would not be sad if we decided to add Newman Arena to the NSIC. Jamestown seems to have nice athletic facilities as a whole:

holy heck that's beautiful :o

Comment

Originally posted by Illinoisguy23 View Post

holy heck that's beautiful :o
                Yeah it is! It would rank up there with Mankato and Minot, that's for sure.

Comment

The UIU thing has been talking about for years..as they've had interest in the GLVC for some time. As mentioned on that forum link, one could make a case it's a better overall fit for them than the NSIC. I think it comes down more to the GLVC wanting them finally or not. With schools like Lindenwood departing and maybe the rumor of others, UIU might be positioned more favorably as an addition than in the past. For either league they are a geographic outpost and haven't seen a lot of athletic success..and are in a tiny market....all of which makes a school less marketable for a potential move like this. I'd figured they could've been heading to the GLVC right at LU departed..as this isn't new talk.

Like UIU, I'm not sure Jamestown offers the NSIC a lot....as they too have some of the same challenges from a marketability standpoint..however, at least they would be within the net of the Mary/Minot/Northern/MSUM area. I'm not sure the NSIC has a ton of options with regard to possible new additions, knowing the clock is essentially ticking yet for the Augie move. I keep coming back to Grand View being the best addition out there..all things considered..but they gotta want to move also. Like MSide, they might be very comfy in their space in the NAIA.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                    The UIU thing has been talking about for years.

*snip*
                    Purely hypothetical on my end, but thoughts on DSU? They are positioning themselves to be in the convo academically with USD/SDSU, and secured funding that would make their facilities the envy of much of the NSIC.

Geography is there for Sioux Falls, Marshall, and I'd even argue MSUM being close to I-29. The big drawback is the town being so small, but Fayette is smaller yet, maybe even Wayne too - and that hasn't been a problem. School size might be an issue too, but that could end up fixing itself in time.

I personally don't see it happening, at least not any time soon, but I live close to Madison and keep an eye on the activity down there given DSU's boom. Was actually just on campus a few days ago.

Comment

I inquired about them with a source who covers their part of the world....and I got no impression they are ready to make such a jump, but there's no doubt their future facility plans are impressive. I would agree they are a school worth keeping an eye on....as they are doing a lot of nice things on that campus in general and really becoming an information technology school of note in our area.

Comment

Like UIU, I'm not sure Jamestown offers the NSIC a lot....as they too have some of the same challenges from a marketability standpoint..however, at least they would be within the net of the Mary/Minot/Northern/MSUM area. I'm not sure the NSIC has a ton of options with regard to possible new additions, knowing the clock is essentially ticking yet for the Augie move. I keep coming back to Grand View being the best addition out there..all things considered..but they gotta want to move also. Like MSide, they might be very comfy in their space in the NAIA.
                        The Jamestown market actually fits the NSIC profile decently well. Jamestown is a town of 15,000, right in the niche of Marshall and Bemidji. UIU is tiny, and as you said on the outside of the footprint while Jamestown is actually inside the current footprint.

What would be the potential domino effect for travel partners, only taking out UIU and inserting UJ? My travel partner realignment suggestion, which wouldn't be too bad.

-Northern would switch from Moorhead to Jamestown (drops from 176 miles to 103 miles)
                        -Moorhead would switch from Northern (176 miles) to Crookston (70 miles)
                        -Crookston would switch from Bemidji (90 miles) to Moorhead (70 miles)
                        -Bemidji would switch from Crookston (90 miles) to Duluth (150 miles)
                        -Duluth would switch from St Cloud (150 miles) to Bemidji (150 miles)

-St Cloud would switch divisions and go from Duluth (150 miles) to Concordia (75 miles)
                        -Concordia would switch from Mankato (90 miles) to St Cloud (75 miles)
                        -Mankato would switch from Concordia (90 miles) to Winona (135 miles)
                        -Winona would switch from Upper Iowa (100 miles) to Mankato (135 miles)

Comment

While a town of 15k is similar to a Marshall MN, I don't think that's the size markets the NSIC would ideally want for expansion. The NSIC is already in ND in the biggest markets, so there isn't much gained there and they aren't likely to jump in right away as a high performing asset to the conference. That said, I think any choice (outside Grand View-Des Moines market/high performer) is likely more of a fill-in than a splash addition.

Comment

I inquired about them with a source who covers their part of the world....and I got no impression they are ready to make such a jump, but there's no doubt their future facility plans are impressive. I would agree they are a school worth keeping an eye on....as they are doing a lot of nice things on that campus in general and really becoming an information technology school of note in our area.
                            This is what put them on the map for me. What's wild is they are in the conversation nationally for some of their tech programs. They found a niche and are sticking to it, and it's showing results. It's why the state was so adamant about putting through the campus at the Sanford Pentagon. That's going to be amazing when finished. Some of their "regular" programs aren't half bad either, and they definitely fill in gaps left by SDSU in the area, which is nice.

Anyway, I figured as much. It seems like the athletic facilities upgrades are for community and alumni pride rather than moving up, which is totally cool in it's own right. I wouldn't mind seeing them in the NSIC someday, but I totally understand the interest to stay. Maybe when future shifts are made, they'll be interested.

Comment

if Upper Iowa leaves no Biggie since the school is set just like the Lone Star is even with both conference on the verge of losing a few members if Augustana and a few others move tp D1.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X