Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BIGvikingFan View Post

That's very cool. Not saying there aren't good backups, but when your down 24-10 late in the game you put your best 11 out there, not 2 starters and 9 backups. Even the big pass play right before the break away the streaming announcers commented USF was taking advantage of the backups. Only PurpleMavMan thinks you have to have a coaching resume to think that's bad strategy.
    I donโ€™t know the circumstances of the game, but NO team plays the same 11 guys on D the whole game. I get youโ€™re talking situational, but which group was on the field the drive prior? And the one before that? Which group gave up the 24 points up to that point? Maybe itโ€™s all the backups. Likely not.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
      I thought the overall game environment on Saturday was probably only rivaled by the first football game between these two schools. Earlier game date + more lax rules on alcohol + amazing weather + two undefeated teams was a tremendous recipe.

Augie got owned on both lines of scrimmage for most of the game. Riersdorfer is menace. Bauman didn't play well until the fourth quarter as he missed numerous passes and receivers the first three quarters. Any turnover stinks but that muffed punt to start the 3rd was awful after the defense gave them a chance to offset the back to back possessions for the USF offense.
      Good summary. Props to JJs Beer Garden. Was a nice touch, forgot y'all had added that.
      4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
      2016 NSIC Champions
      ๐Ÿ”‘๐Ÿ”‘๐Ÿ”‘๐Ÿ”‘๐Ÿ”‘๐Ÿ”‘๐Ÿ”‘๐Ÿ”‘

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

I donโ€™t know the circumstances of the game, but NO team plays the same 11 guys on D the whole game. I get youโ€™re talking situational, but which group was on the field the drive prior? And the one before that? Which group gave up the 24 points up to that point? Maybe itโ€™s all the backups. Likely not.
        You are correct. Wouldn't have brought it up if it was just obvious normal substitution, especially with the big guys. The revolving door has been happening all season and nearly lost us the BSU game. When the announcers pointed out the pattern this game, I rewound and compared to the 2-deep for 5 plays so see what was really going on. Were the nine starters out because of injuries? Nope, they were in the next series and held 3 and out. Don't have time to do that for the whole game, but likely your hunch is correct and brilliant.

Comment

A win is a win against a young winless UIU team. Final score 31-14. Passing game was awful, 74 yards and 3 interceptions although I was happy 5th year senior Conner Neil got to play QB for a half. Running game was awesome, 302 yards at 7.4 yards a carry. WR Isaiah Huber was pressed into action at RB and responded to with 146 yds, while big David Addo added 101.

Defense flexed their muscles holding the Peacocks to 10 yards rushing, 190 passing. Grayson Diepenbrock had 2 sacks to set the all-time career sack record.

2 freshmen have had their redshirts lifted. Earlier DB TJ Murray from Baltimore MD. and Boys Town Omaha. Saturday I spotted a tall lengthy WR line up and I immediately thought Sean Engel got another year eligibility. It was Will Boyles of Lubbock TX a true frosh lining up. Coaches OJ and Schrenk have always liked 6' 5" receivers. Boyles must be impressive in practice to have his RS pulled mid-season. Next homecoming week things get a lot tougher playing 5-1 Wayne State.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
            Saturday I spotted a tall lengthy WR line up and I immediately thought Sean Engel got another year eligibility. It was Will Boyles of Lubbock TX a true frosh lining up. Coaches OJ and Schrenk have always liked 6' 5" receivers. Boyles must be impressive in practice to have his RS pulled mid-season. Next homecoming week things get a lot tougher playing 5-1 Wayne State.
            A freshman from West Texas you say??? Perhaps there is a poster on the board that can give us more insight into this. It's always tough to pull a redshirt midseason, but that has to be exciting for a true freshman to play for a very good team.

Comment

A win is a win against a young winless UIU team. Final score 31-14. Passing game was awful, 74 yards and 3 interceptions although I was happy 5th year senior Conner Neil got to play QB for a half. Running game was awesome, 302 yards at 7.4 yards a carry. WR Isaiah Huber was pressed into action at RB and responded to with 146 yds, while big David Addo added 101.

Defense flexed their muscles holding the Peacocks to 10 yards rushing, 190 passing. Grayson Diepenbrock had 2 sacks to set the all-time career sack record.

2 freshmen have had their redshirts lifted. Earlier DB TJ Murray from Baltimore MD. and Boys Town Omaha. Saturday I spotted a tall lengthy WR line up and I immediately thought Sean Engel got another year eligibility. It was Will Boyles of Lubbock TX a true frosh lining up. Coaches OJ and Schrenk have always liked 6' 5" receivers. Boyles must be impressive in practice to have his RS pulled mid-season. Next homecoming week things get a lot tougher playing 5-1 Wayne State.

Comment

Thanks to both vikingfaithful and Thunder for the mention of Will.

I think I saw that kid in the game. Pretty sure on his first play he was flagged for holding and killed a drive marching down the field....may need to nickname him drive killer. He was super excited heading into the week and probably a little over-anxious to get on the field!

Seemed it was a tough game against a young UIU squad that played much better than anticipated. Was impressed with UIU not giving up and playing hard on defense. Augie was not playing to their potential but it really felt like a get-right game from what I have seen of them this season.

Not sure about the Engel comparisons, but good to see Will get into the game after he broke his hand in fall camp (proud dad moment). Agree with everyone that next week will be a true test of how well all the players are able to gel. With so many injuries, I can't imagine that it has been easy for any of the position groups to feel any sort of stability. But halfway through the season the only thing that matters is W-L and being where we are after using three different QBs, five(?) different RBs, eight WRs and six DBs...I will take it.

Comment

Originally posted by WPHB View Post
                  Thanks to both vikingfaithful and Thunder for the mention of Will.

I think I saw that kid in the game. Pretty sure on his first play he was flagged for holding and killed a drive marching down the field....may need to nickname him drive killer. He was super excited heading into the week and probably a little over-anxious to get on the field!

Seemed it was a tough game against a young UIU squad that played much better than anticipated. Was impressed with UIU not giving up and playing hard on defense. Augie was not playing to their potential but it really felt like a get-right game from what I have seen of them this season.

Not sure about the Engel comparisons, but good to see Will get into the game after he broke his hand in fall camp (proud dad moment). Agree with everyone that next week will be a true test of how well all the players are able to gel. With so many injuries, I can't imagine that it has been easy for any of the position groups to feel any sort of stability. But halfway through the season the only thing that matters is W-L and being where we are after using three different QBs, five(?) different RBs, eight WRs and six DBs...I will take it.
                  Congratulations, that has to be an amazing feeling to see your son on the field. I don't want to be too positive toward Augie, but I can make an exception in this case. I wish him the best of luck the rest of the season.

Comment

Okay, so the season did not go the way that it was expected, and I learned another great lesson on why we shouldn't pay much attention to Pre-Season polling...what I would say is that I have seen some pretty amazing work put in by the coaches and players to be in the national conversation week in and week out all year, until this recent stretch.

Proud to be a Viking fan, and it feels like all the places are there for a pretty incredible team. Can't do anything about injuries or the past games, but with a little more work and focus, the ceiling is high for this team for next year. Lots to work on, but lots to be happy about and lots to be excited about as well.

Comment

Originally posted by WPHB View Post
                      Okay, so the season did not go the way that it was expected, and I learned another great lesson on why we shouldn't pay much attention to Pre-Season polling...what I would say is that I have seen some pretty amazing work put in by the coaches and players to be in the national conversation week in and week out all year, until this recent stretch.

Proud to be a Viking fan, and it feels like all the places are there for a pretty incredible team. Can't do anything about injuries or the past games, but with a little more work and focus, the ceiling is high for this team for next year. Lots to work on, but lots to be happy about and lots to be excited about as well.
                      Well stated WPHB. Pre-Season polls are are based on previous season performance and don't take account for graduated players. Still the Vikings played well early in the season winning against some of the best of the NSIC. Injuriรฉis certainly hurt and the rotating QB situation. If Augustana can get by a very tough Mustang squad their record would be 7-4. If not 6-5, still a winning season. Next year's team should be excellent.

Comment

Well stated WPHB. Pre-Season polls are are based on previous season performance and don't take account for graduated players. Still the Vikings played well early in the season winning against some of the best of the NSIC. Injuriรฉis certainly hurt and the rotating QB situation. If Augustana can get by a very tough Mustang squad their record would be 7-4. If not 6-5, still a winning season. Next year's team should be excellent.
                        Actually fellas..I think Augie was correctly ranked preseason considering all the returning starters and such. As mentioned, Augie was 9-2 last year and brought back just about everybody but Saddler and Engel. Truthfully, considering the bodies on the squad..this shouldn't have been that big a deal. Winning the conference was a realistic goal..and the Vikings were returning more starters than just about any of the top teams in the conference.

You can never assume a team will get a lot of injuries..and to key players, so the judgement placed on the team preseason looked accurate - before a slew of hurt fellas started to change their path. Frankly, the OL didn't perform as well as expected..given their tenure and upside....and the QB position created some uncertainty instead of having a true answer. The thought of having a xfer from Montana State coming in at QB..given the size and everything else..it made most people think "here we come"..but in 2022, that wasn't how things went.

Comment

Witt, I stand corrected. You are right, based upon the information available at the time, the ranking was correct. My thought on it was not expressed clearly. It is like the regional rankings. More of a snapshot in time and I (biasedly) placed final season expectations on a pre-season outlook.

I like the pre-season rankings. I appreciate the preseason rankings. No one foresaw the issues that the team went through. I will double down on the fact that being in the national conversation for 80% of the season was pretty cool. Ultimately, it wasnt the way things went, but it sure was a pretty neat ride while we were on it.

Oh and Happy Veteran's Day to everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Actually fellas..I think Augie was correctly ranked preseason considering all the returning starters and such. As mentioned, Augie was 9-2 last year and brought back just about everybody but Saddler and Engel. Truthfully, considering the bodies on the squad..this shouldn't have been that big a deal. Winning the conference was a realistic goal..and the Vikings were returning more starters than just about any of the top teams in the conference.

You can never assume a team will get a lot of injuries..and to key players, so the judgement placed on the team preseason looked accurate - before a slew of hurt fellas started to change their path. Frankly, the OL didn't perform as well as expected..given their tenure and upside....and the QB position created some uncertainty instead of having a true answer. The thought of having a xfer from Montana State coming in at QB..given the size and everything else..it made most people think "here we come"..but in 2022, that wasn't how things went.
                            Matt, as usual, is spot on. The O-line, especially, has failed to perform at a level conducive to success at advancing the ball down the field. (How's that for being diplomatic.) Augie is averaging only 3.7 yards per rushing attempt and ranks 11th in the conference in sacks allowed.

I'd add one more item. Augie ranks dead last -- 14th out of 14 teams -- in red-zone defense. When opponents get inside the 20, they come away with points nearly every time, converting on 26 out of 29 opportunities, or 89.7 percent. By comparison, the best red-zone defense (Winona) only gives up points 48.4 percent of the time. Augie's bend-but-don't-break approach is breaking way too often.

That said, the Vikings will finish above .500 even if they lose to SMSU and found a way to beat what I believe is the best team in the conference, Bemidji, and another team likely bound for the postseason, Wayne. Sure, it's disappointing to miss the playoffs, but there still were some bright spots to enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Agreed. This is arguably one of the most talented Augie squads in years, even with the losses at RB. Tough to block when the defense and fans know what play you are running next. Shrenk has showed this lack of creativity and play calling ability over the years, so this could have been considered in predictions and I think its time to try someone new there. In only his second year, we couldn't have predicted how Sipple was going to demoralize his squad, he just needs to find a new career.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGvikingFan View Post

Agreed. This is arguably one of the most talented Augie squads in years, even with the losses at RB. Tough to block when the defense and fans know what play you are running next. Shrenk has showed this lack of creativity and play calling ability over the years, so this could have been considered in predictions and I think its time to try someone new there. In only his second year, we couldn't have predicted how Sipple was going to demoralize his squad, he just needs to find a new career.
                                Our quarterbacks seemed to lack pocket awareness and held onto the ball to long ending up getting sacked. I disagree with you on Schrenk and Sipple, coach OJ is a sharp man, I think he would fire them if they were subpar.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X