Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Iowa to GLVC Rumors

According to a thread on the GLVC boards, Upper Iowa has reportedly applied for membership in the GLVC. Has anyone in the NSIC heard about this rumor? Because it strikes me as one that came out of nowhere.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    According to a thread on the GLVC boards, Upper Iowa has reportedly applied for membership in the GLVC. Has anyone in the NSIC heard about this rumor? Because it strikes me as one that came out of nowhere.
    I believe someone brought it up early in the year but also (I think) wscsuperfan brought it up this past weekend. If it wasn't wscsuperfan, someone did

Comment

It started in June: https://www.d2football.com/forum/for...sic-membership

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

I believe someone brought it up early in the year but also (I think) wscsuperfan brought it up this past weekend. If it wasn't wscsuperfan, someone did
        I was told they have applied.

Comment

I have heard this rumor and also that Jamestown or Dakota State have been rumored as possible future replacement for UIU.

Comment

This makes much more sense than an Assistant Coach who's telling his Girlfriend that they're dropping to D3 lol....hearing that 3rd hand. I figured that was B.S.

Comment

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
              I have heard this rumor and also that Jamestown or Dakota State have been rumored as possible future replacement for UIU.
              I think the latter is just speculation based on facilities upgrades. I'm not sure their AD is ready to make that jump.

Comment

Dakota State's future plans for facilities;

https://dsu.edu/trojans-unite.html

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I think the latter is just speculation based on facilities upgrades. I'm not sure their AD is ready to make that jump.
                  Both Jamestown and Dakota state are clear speculation. One of those two may make the most sense if UIU leaves, but certainly no guarantees that either would make the jump.

Comment

Here is what I've heard over the years..

UIU has shown interest in the GLVC before but word was in the past the GLVC wasn't offering. The GLVC makes more sense for UIU due to competitive level, proximity (at least a little better anyhow), and more peer schools seemingly in the GLVC. Since late 2021, I've been getting text messages and such about this idea..so it's not new.

Like some others have eluded to....other than the future facility plans for DSU, they don't seem ready for such a jump....or at least this soon. It's not like they've been wow in NAIA athletics. There's no question their future facilities look outstanding..no matter NAIA or D2.

Assuming there is a replacement need....Jamestown seems to be the most credible solution..as they've expressed potential interest and have schools up near them with Mary-Minot-Moorhead-Northern within a few hours each, etc. At face value they look a little more ready-right-now also.

A friend of mine said don't sleep on the Morningside idea. With a newer Athletic Director who might have ambitions above their current accomplishments in the NAIA.

I assume a Neb Kearney is a little too far away, being 3 hours past Wayne....creating a new geographic outpost. I'm guessing the league would much rather stay within the existing footprint.

Comment

Upper Iowa (and St Cloud) are in the GLIAC for men's soccer. Someone could figure out the mileage for UIU to the GLVC compared to the NSIC- I would guess that it might be shorter- I just don't know how much. I could see it happen.

I would dismiss Dakota State even with the plans for great new facilities. Jamestown would make more sense but they haven't been setting the world on fire, at least in football, in the GPAC which is IMO the top conference in that sport in the NAIA.

Now Morningside would be great- top dog not only in the GPAC but also in the entire NAIA in football. They are already inside the NSIC footprint. I did talk at length about this with one of the Morningside coaches when I watched the Mavs practice in their stadium the night before they played at Wayne back in 2019. He told me that they were happy where they were, especially competing not just for a conference championship but a national one. Made sense.

Like Kearney, outside the footprint- Grand View. A long trip to Des Moines but they have built a great program.
                      Last edited by laker; 11-02-2022, 08:12 AM.

Comment

If I missed this, then please forgive. Is there a need to replace? Seems like a lot of teams in NSIC already and just as a thought exercise was wondering why replace. Obviously, it would lead to unbalanced divisions and hell for schedule makers, but seems doable. What am I missing?

Comment

Originally posted by WPHB View Post
                          If I missed this, then please forgive. Is there a need to replace? Seems like a lot of teams in NSIC already and just as a thought exercise was wondering why replace. Obviously, it would lead to unbalanced divisions and hell for schedule makers, but seems doable. What am I missing?
                          I believe you hit the nail on the head as to why the NSIC would be interested in a replacement team. Similar to silo-scheduling: while it's not popular with fans, it is very popular with the decision makers because it makes scheduling a lot easier.

Comment

This would be the biggest reason by far. I think it could be doable with abolishing divisions and playing 10 conference games. This would give each team one non conference game each year. That has long been a wish for many, especially the top teams in the conference. However, under this scenario it would require there to be one team each week with a non-con game (one week would have three teams). I can imagine trying to schedule a non-con game for most of the conference will be a little difficult even early in the season. Trying to schedule a nonconference game for Week 11 will be almost impossible. Life is a lot easier when you have your schedules ready to go, but I guess that is one of the reasons ADs have jobs too, they should be able to figure out one nonconference football game a year...

Comment

The more I look at it, the more I think it is feasible. The GLIAC (Michigan) and GLVC (Missouri) currently operate with 7 teams so they already have non-con games late in the year. If UIU joins the GLVC that gives them 8 football schools. There are natural opponents for NSU, Mary, and Minot with the SD RMAC teams and Chadron. Augie, USF, and Wayne could also play them as the RMAC has 2 non-con games each year. The rest of the RMAC in Colorado would be doable, but a little farther. The other conferences to schedule would be GMAC (Ohio) and LSC (Texas). Those would be longer trips, but one every 2 years should be possible to fit into an athletic department budget. The biggest hurdle would still be working with other conferences to ensure we could have non-con games in the middle and end of the season. GLIAC would be easier as they also have an odd number of teams. The others would have to be willing to accommodate the NSIC which would make their own scheduling more difficult.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X