Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vikingfaithful
    replied
    Can someone explain to me why SCSU is losing so much ground in the world of higher education?

Leave a comment:

• zimmy21
    replied
    Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
    It used to be such a great school. Beautiful campus on the river, proud athletics department... it's a shame they've fallen so far.

6,000 students in a decade is a real accomplishment by the leadership. That's more than some of their peer institutions even have.
    Yet again, time for the NSIC to be proactive and drop them and UMC. Reinstitute the bylaw of required football, and get back to the way things should be.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    It used to be such a great school. Beautiful campus on the river, proud athletics department... it's a shame they've fallen so far.

6,000 students in a decade is a real accomplishment by the leadership. That's more than some of their peer institutions even have.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Brookens
    replied
    Never a more appropriately named University President than the one who's running St. Cloud into the ground right now.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    I'm guessing SCSU will not be adding football back:

St. Cloud State announces $24 million deficit, dozens of cuts | kare11.com

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

Lol...the Summit is in Sioux Falls and is packed. You can go anywhere in Sioux Falls and if you see anything it's SDSU or USD...its not Augie or USF stuff. A lot of alum move to Sioux Falls, Northern sees this when they play in Sioux Falls and they are obviously much smaller.

It might be popular but if you think Augie is ever going to have more fans in Sioux Falls than USD or SDSU you are hitting some pretty hard stuff today.
    Odd, because they can't seem to be bothered making the short trip to either location for games. Though I don't blame them for not wanting to watch Summit League basketball lol. Pretty sure the Stampede outdraw USD basketball consistently.

I never said Augie would have more fans, I said there was a market opportunity and Augie is in the best position to harness it. I do see plenty of Augie merch in Brookings though. It's generally accepted that hockey is rapidly growing in eastern SD, they picked a great time to join.

I also said Sioux Falls is rapidly expanding. I know SDSU folks want to think the world revolves around them, but it does not - and much of the influx doesn't know (or care) about the Jacks. I think the town will look much different in the coming years.
    Last edited by SW_Mustang; 05-15-2023, 10:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• zimmy21
    replied
    Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

He retired and new ceo has been more frugal with the charitable gifts.
    Was not aware honestly. That's a shame for Augie. Good thing he got you kick-started for Hockey. Maybe we both can get invited and then we can pressure the league to sponsor hockey lol

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied
    Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

What happened to the Sanford guy with all that cash that was pushing Augustana to go D1?
    He retired and new ceo has been more frugal with the charitable gifts.

Leave a comment:

• zimmy21
    replied
    Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

1st sdsu and usd would vote NO on Augustana. As do most schools that are FCS sdsu gets 45%, usd 66% of their athlectic budget from state aid and student fees. AU would have to raise and additional 8-10 million every year, a tall order for a private school of 2100 students. Do D2 state schools rely on state aid for their athletic budgets? You have to give USF credit for putting good athletic products out, despite easily being the smallest school in the the NSIC.
    What happened to the Sanford guy with all that cash that was pushing Augustana to go D1?

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied

Exactly, if they get passed up again that door is shut for quite awhile if not forever. Honestly any school that's thinking of making a move, it's go time. The moves aren't done by any means so anyone interested better get their ducks in a row
    1st sdsu and usd would vote NO on Augustana. As do most schools that are FCS sdsu gets 45%, usd 66% of their athlectic budget from state aid and student fees. AU would have to raise and additional 8-10 million every year, a tall order for a private school of 2100 students. Do D2 state schools rely on state aid for their athletic budgets? You have to give USF credit for putting good athletic products out, despite easily being the smallest school in the the NSIC.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

I disagree. SF is changing rapidly and I doubt either school will maintain the stranglehold they once had in 10 years from now. The schools are just too small and too far away to have any real claim to the market. I guess only time will tell, but the mainstream market pouring into the city probably is only vaguely aware either place even exists.

It's one reason why I think Augie was smart to add hockey when they did, even if it is just a consolation prize. I think it could be more popular than most give it credit for.
    Lol...the Summit is in Sioux Falls and is packed. You can go anywhere in Sioux Falls and if you see anything it's SDSU or USD...its not Augie or USF stuff. A lot of alum move to Sioux Falls, Northern sees this when they play in Sioux Falls and they are obviously much smaller.

It might be popular but if you think Augie is ever going to have more fans in Sioux Falls than USD or SDSU you are hitting some pretty hard stuff today.

Leave a comment:

• zimmy21
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

yeah seems like now or never for Augie - at least short term
    Exactly, if they get passed up again that door is shut for quite awhile if not forever. Honestly any school that's thinking of making a move, it's go time. The moves aren't done by any means so anyone interested better get their ducks in a row

Leave a comment:

• MrMustang
    replied

Now we'll find out if Augie will ever have a chance at D1
    yeah seems like now or never for Augie - at least short term

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

They have SDSU and USD, that's the Sioux Falls Market already
    I disagree. SF is changing rapidly and I doubt either school will maintain the stranglehold they once had in 10 years from now. The schools are just too small and too far away to have any real claim to the market. I guess only time will tell, but the mainstream market pouring into the city probably is only vaguely aware either place even exists.

It's one reason why I think Augie was smart to add hockey when they did, even if it is just a consolation prize. I think it could be more popular than most give it credit for.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

Kato would be a nice upgrade over most Summit League towns. Aside from like... St. Paul and Omaha their geography is horrendous. It's crazy they didn't want the Sioux Falls market.

I wasn't sure what a Vermillion was until I arrived, and I'm still not quite sure what that was.
    They have SDSU and USD, that's the Sioux Falls Market already

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X