Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Minot clearly seems to have punted on regional recruiting efforts, which creates a nice lane for Jamestown to come in and establish itself before Minot comes to its senses and a new AD brings in someone who cares about the region.

20 California
    16 Arizona
    10 Florida
    7 Nevada
    ---
    8 Minnesota
    5 North Dakota
    3 Montana

Just for comparison, UMary had 35 players from the three-state region this season. Heck, even if you take out Minnesota recruits for obvious reasons, MSUM had 26 players from North Dakota and Montana.
    These are wild numbers to look at. I agree focusing on Southern State recruiting does not work. Over the years I have seen FL, CA or TX kids come out swinging in first 3-4 weeks only to see them fizzle out as losses pile up. Not saying this is the norm and all kids who are recruited take this route but this is an interesting hire for sure.

Comment

Minot clearly seems to have punted on regional recruiting efforts, which creates a nice lane for Jamestown to come in and establish itself before Minot comes to its senses and a new AD brings in someone who cares about the region.

20 California
      16 Arizona
      10 Florida
      7 Nevada
      ---
      8 Minnesota
      5 North Dakota
      3 Montana

Just for comparison, UMary had 35 players from the three-state region this season. Heck, even if you take out Minnesota recruits for obvious reasons, MSUM had 26 players from North Dakota and Montana.
      Players “fizzle out” from every state. Is retention a problem with warm state players—-absolutely.

Where is the best/most talented high school football played? Texas, California, Florida. Florida has no D-2’s and 1FCS program. California has 1 D2 football, many FBS and few FCS. It is a gamble to recruit warm weather states—-but some gambles may pay off. I suspect that is Minot’s recruiting plan— that of the 20-5 to 10 hit (play-perform & stay).

Comment

Originally posted by FB Player Coach & Fan View Post

Players “fizzle out” from every state. Is retention a problem with warm state players—-absolutely.

Where is the best/most talented high school football played? Texas, California, Florida. Florida has no D-2’s and 1FCS program. California has 1 D2 football, many FBS and few FCS. It is a gamble to recruit warm weather states—-but some gambles may pay off. I suspect that is Minot’s recruiting plan— that of the 20-5 to 10 hit (play-perform & stay).
        The goal is to build a program, is it not? Sure, you could say UMC hit on some gambles in its day too. But if you hit on two or three out of 50+ Southerners and over half of them flame out and transfer closer to home, what are you building when you have to re-recruit those spots over and over and over again? Sure, guys from the Midwest can flame out too, but it's probably not as quick of a "pack up and go home" when you are within a "tank of gas radius", because odds are lower that football is the only thing that brought you there.

There's also a "culture" thing you'd see, not only within the locker room but on campus as a whole. Guys from the south are more likely to stick out and feel out of place in Minot than someone from Minnesota or South Dakota. The littlest things can divide locker rooms and make it more difficult to find cohesion as a team, which affects the odds of a player staying or leaving when adversity hits.

Comment

The goal is to build a program, is it not? Sure, you could say UMC hit on some gambles in its day too. But if you hit on two or three out of 50+ Southerners and over half of them flame out and transfer closer to home, what are you building when you have to re-recruit those spots over and over and over again? Sure, guys from the Midwest can flame out too, but it's probably not as quick of a "pack up and go home" when you are within a "tank of gas radius", because odds are lower that football is the only thing that brought you there.

There's also a "culture" thing you'd see, not only within the locker room but on campus as a whole. Guys from the south are more likely to stick out and feel out of place in Minot than someone from Minnesota or South Dakota. The littlest things can divide locker rooms and make it more difficult to find cohesion as a team, which affects the odds of a player staying or leaving when adversity hits.
          My read and opinion—he is not planning on being a D2 lifer. He wants some level or degree of improvement (the bar is low) win 4/5 games and he is heading for greener coaching pastures. My opinion— he is not planning on staying as a HC in Minot until retirement.
          you bring up good points with out of area players-but am sure Midwest kids cause culture issues and other things you mentioned. And those Midwest kids are not capable of being the skill level difference makers that are required to get those much needed 6/7/8 wins (for more established programs).
          when you don’t have speed—you must play mistake free football. And that is very difficult to do for 11 weeks, not impossible but very difficult.

Comment

Minor point, but CA does not have a D2 program after CPH and APU dropped the sport. In fact, if one draws a line starting at North Dakota and ending at New Mexico, the only programs west of that line are CWU and WOU.

Comment

you bring up good points with out of area players-but am sure Midwest kids cause culture issues and other things you mentioned. And those Midwest kids are not capable of being the skill level difference makers that are required to get those much needed 6/7/8 wins (for more established programs).
              I get why that mentality exists. But I don't agree with it.

Look no further than some of the guys who have made the NFL out of the NSIC.
              Adam Thielen - Detroit Lakes
              CJ Ham - Duluth Denfeld
              Zach Moore - Chicago Simeon
              Brian Leonhardt - Spring Lake Park
              Brandon and Shane Zylstra - New London-Spicer
              Chris Reed - Omaha Central

And if these difference-makers from the South are required to build an established program, why does one of the NSIC's best programs in Bemidji State only have a combined 6 players from Arizona (2), Florida (2), California (1) and Texas (1).

Comment

I get why that mentality exists. But I don't agree with it.

Look no further than some of the guys who have made the NFL out of the NSIC.
                Adam Thielen - Detroit Lakes
                CJ Ham - Duluth Denfeld
                Zach Moore - Chicago Simeon
                Brian Leonhardt - Spring Lake Park
                Brandon and Shane Zylstra - New London-Spicer
                Chris Reed - Omaha Central

And if these difference-makers from the South are required to build an established program, why does one of the NSIC's best programs in Bemidji State only have a combined 6 players from Arizona (2), Florida (2), California (1) and Texas (1).
                skilled guys can be found in the Midwest-true and absolutely. But you just don’t have the depth and numbers of those type of athletes. The depth of the talent pool applies here. It’s not that they don’t exist; it’s that the depth of the talent pool is shallow compared to those 3 states specifically listed.
                In my career, at 1 school I had six former players make it to NFL, a first round draft choice, a third round draft choice, a 6 th round draft choice and 3 free agents. One was a 3 time Super Bowl champion and 2 are currently playing in the league. From just an average solid football program—not a perennial powerhouse.
                it’s not a recruiting strategy for all schools and programs. It’s just an option or a part of the recruiting plan.
                My opinion, the use of southern states should be to fill out and augment the bulk of the roster from your recruiting footprint

If you have a recruiting philosophy or plans that works—- keep using it. But if it’s not, then I always want to look for ways that we/you can make the team and roster better.

Comment

Originally posted by Umdfan35 View Post

Petrino let go by NDSU
                  https://gowyo.com/news/2024/1/12/jas...ies-coach.aspx

Former Mary and Winona DC ends up as Safety coach at Wyoming

Comment

Fmr. SMSU OL Coach Jeremy Darveau accepts same position at the University of Pittsburgh.

Comment

Looks like North Dakota is hiring WInona State Offensive Coordinator Isaac Fruechte

https://x.com/UNDfootball/status/175...035568946?s=20

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2024/...th-dakota.aspx

Comment

Given the history that Isaac Fruechte has on his resume....former Gophers player and then a stint in the NFL, I felt like that would open some doors for him..and that's occured here with him heading up to UND. He had a strong offense with Northern (they got some dudes during COVID times), but then his offenses at Winona in 2022 and 2023 averaged mid 20's per game. In 2022, their D was the strength of the team when Winona made the postseason.

I will be interested to see who lands at Winona State for his OC spot. Considering WSU is fully funded (or close)..has a winning tradition and a great location (can recruit WI-IL-IA-MN within a few hours)..they should get a decent candidate. A few names that came to mind for me right away were former star QB Jack Nelson (who recently took the Quincy OC job), Charlie Cosgrove (Gustavus longtime OC)..seeing as Bergy the HC of WSU is tightly connected there as he was a star defender there and then coached in St. Peter as well. Other thoughts could be current assistants in the NSIC currently..but I wouldn't be shocked to see if Bergy looks at SDSU or a previous stop and their mid-level staff that would seek out the experience of being a DC at a good location in D2.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                          Given the history that Isaac Fruechte has on his resume....former Gophers player and then a stint in the NFL, I felt like that would open some doors for him..and that's occured here with him heading up to UND. He had a strong offense with Northern (they got some dudes during COVID times), but then his offenses at Winona in 2022 and 2023 averaged mid 20's per game. In 2022, their D was the strength of the team when Winona made the postseason.

I will be interested to see who lands at Winona State for his OC spot. Considering WSU is fully funded (or close)..has a winning tradition and a great location (can recruit WI-IL-IA-MN within a few hours)..they should get a decent candidate. A few names that came to mind for me right away were former star QB Jack Nelson (who recently took the Quincy OC job), Charlie Cosgrove (Gustavus longtime OC)..seeing as Bergy the HC of WSU is tightly connected there as he was a star defender there and then coached in St. Peter as well. Other thoughts could be current assistants in the NSIC currently..but I wouldn't be shocked to see if Bergy looks at SDSU or a previous stop and their mid-level staff that would seek out the experience of being a DC at a good location in D2.
                          I would imagine they move quickly on this hire. Would be interesting to see if Jack Nelson leaves his current job in Illinois to head back. I think this is the first year Mary has had its full staff stay together heading into spring.

Comment

[QUOTE=SW_Mustang;n810556]

Minor point, but CA does not have a D2 program after CPH and APU dropped the sport.

Lincoln University, Oakland CA. Opened in 2019 (timing is everything). They are a private D2 that plays an independent schedule. Tough existence- but for the time being it exists.
                            i just double checked, and I am wrong—they just announced their 2024 schedule and the are playing a GLVC schedule or a number of GLVC schools.
                            Last edited by FB Player Coach & Fan; 02-01-2024, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Lincoln University, Oakland CA. Opened in 2019 (timing is everything). They are a private D2 that plays an independent schedule. Tough existence- but for the time being it exists.
                              i just double checked, and I am wrong—they just announced their 2024 schedule and the are playing a GLVC schedule or a number of GLVC schools.
                              I believe that is the other Lincoln, in Missouri.

Lincoln in Oakland is…a football team.

Comment

D-2 part in Oakland CA is correct. The conference I provided was wrong.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X