Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSIC Adding Instant Replay for 2024 Season

Because it's Friday and we could use a break from discussing all thing Jamestown and Week 0, I finally got around this week to listening to Coo Coach Cast from signing day. Glo shared an interesting tidbit I don't think had been brought up yet or publicly annouced: The NSIC is instituting instant replay for the 2024 season. USF's scrimmage vs MSU-Moorhead in April will serve as a dry run of sorts with the officiating crew

50min mark for those wanting the source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVRM20aTYvU

I believe the MIAA has had it for a few seasons now. Curious if there will be limitations on its usage, etc.I could see some significant variations based on the school's video capabilities but overall seems like a positive development for clear cut plays like out of bounds or getting feet down.
    4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
    2016 NSIC Champions
    🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Sounds interesting, most of the live stream or broadcasts are so bad you can't see anything. I assume they are going to add some cameras to all games in order to implement?

Comment

Originally posted by 34blast View Post
      Sounds interesting, most of the live stream or broadcasts are so bad you can't see anything. I assume they are going to add some cameras to all games in order to implement?
      Maybe the quality of streams will improve then. Holy cow some are downright awful

Comment

I don't like instant replay in any context. we used to complain about missed calls, but it was part of the game. Now they have replay and if they blow a call but don't fix it we are still mad.

I also accept i am a dinosaur and we are going to have to forever and I am ok with that. If I were Czar, no replay.

The streams are usually good and compared to 20 years ago great. However, folks are used to NFL replay and it can't be that good from a production standpoint.It seems ok hi basketball, but the football cameras miss a lot as they don't have great coverage of the field often.

I am open to this as most fans want it and like I said, my opinion is the minority and it is NOT a hill I would die on. will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Comment

I look at it like when they start making us pay. I told Jen Flowers tis summer, I am ok with paying a fee for the feed if it is good. Money well spent. But if I pay and get the Crookston feed that misses half the game I will want a refund. She agreed 100%. I think that is probably the comment they get most. Folks will pay if a good product. But they you can't have a lousy feed that doesn't stream and misses action.

Comment

Originally posted by 34blast View Post
            My take of the way it works in other conferences with replay is that the refs can look at whatever cameras angles are available. There's no mandate of a certain number of cameras, or where those cameras are placed. If the school only has one camera sitting on the roof of the press box, then that's what they can use. If no camera caught a clear view of the play in question, then the call on the field stands.

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

Maybe the quality of streams will improve then. Holy cow some are downright awful
              Don't expect this.

Comment

Virtually every major D2 conference had this put replay into action a year ago..and when I heard the league (coaches, I'm talking to you) voted against it, I was like..why..and voiced my displeasure on our shows. If this can possibly fix a terrible call that is "game costing" for a squad, let's do it.

A season later, they realized they should have used replay....and put it into play for 2024.

I don't recall the exact specifics of how it'll be used (because we covered this a year ago for everyone else nationally..lol) but it's limited use and the spirit of this is plays at the end of a game and hoping that streaming cam happens to get a good enough look to replay if needed. There will be an IPad in one extended end zone area on a table that's in a tent..for the officials to head into and see if anything was captured to help with the challenge. I'm guessing that the better productions like Moorhead will naturally have a better video for them to work with let's say Mary, USF, or others who tend to work with the one stand-alone shot from the 50 yard line.

At the most, I could see a 2-camera setup for games becoming needed. I would not expect this to have much of an impact on overall production..as the NSIC isn't looking to have this become a sizeable expense for the schools to suddenly take on.

Comment

Most conferences are using a system that comes with it's own cameras. It's really affordable. Like less than 5 grand if I remember correctly.

The thing I've liked most about it is that targeting calls are reviewed.

Comment

Kinda cool. So long as we're not reviewing every missed holding call, I'm down with it. A little extra security to ensure big plays are called correctly will definitely help the game.

And as Primates mentioned, targeting calls getting reviewed.

Comment

Wonder if goal-line cameras are part of the package?

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                        Kinda cool. So long as we're not reviewing every missed holding call, I'm down with it. A little extra security to ensure big plays are called correctly will definitely help the game.

And as Primates mentioned, targeting calls getting reviewed.
                        I would assume it only be used for targeting, out of bounds, completed catch, line of gain...similar do what D1 does. The NFL made pass interference review able and that only lasted 1 season.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUWarriorFan View Post

I would assume it only be used for targeting, out of bounds, completed catch, line of gain...similar do what D1 does. The NFL made pass interference review able and that only lasted 1 season.
                          I'd be okay with that I think.

I kinda like the faster pace we adopted last year, would like to see that remain intact as much as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Otis Day View Post

I believe the MIAA has had it for a few seasons now. Curious if there will be limitations on its usage, etc.I could see some significant variations based on the school's video capabilities but overall seems like a positive development for clear cut plays like out of bounds or getting feet down.
                            It has worked well in the MIAA. Very well I'd say.

The capabilities of each school in addition to the location of a play on the field are variables that make challenges very strategic. A call in the far corner of an endzone are less likely to be challenged than a catch/drop or ball spot in the center of the field.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
                              However, folks are used to NFL replay and it can't be that good from a production standpoint.It seems ok hi basketball, but the football cameras miss a lot as they don't have great coverage of the field often.
                              Not even close to NFL quality.

As I mentioned previously, the location in question will have an impact on whether or not a play is challenged.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X