Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 NSIC Volleyball

If you want the best teams, of course we should have five teams. CSP being in, you can make a case, being a top four is just dumb. Are they capable, of course, but they also have EIGHT losses...

Thrilled the Wolves weren't left out and here I'd hoping we play better than last week.

Comment

Region sets up nicely for UNK, who faces NSIC JV-caliber Harding then winner of banged up CSP and SMSU.

Comment

UNK has the second longest NCAA Tourney streak in Division II VB. This is the Lopers' 20th straight tournament appearance, trailing only Tampa who has made 23 straight.

Comment

Originally posted by MustangManiac View Post
          Unfortunately, SMSU played without arguably the best player in the country last night. Taylor rolled her ankle in the semifinal win. I wonder how that plays I to the committee's decision as well.
          I wasn't aware of that. The finals would have been different with her in it.

I hope she is feeling better by Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post
            I assure you the committee does not even care about national polls. It's solely about the numbers, and then, if teams are close, then it breaks down the "human element" in comparing top wins / bad losses / etc.

The biggest problem in the Central region for volleyball is that the top teams from the NSIC purposely schedule away from the MIAA/GAC top teams in the nonconference portion of the season, so unless teams meet by accident / day two at the Premier, there's never a common opponents category for the committee to use.
            BS. SMSU plays in the 2 best tournaments each year - one in Florida -- loaded with Wheeling # 1 seed, WWU #1 seed and a bunch of loaded Florida teams. Then they go to the Colorado Premiere and play the best the RMAC has and CSP also plays in that one each year -- in fact the last 5-6 years it has been SMSU-CSP in the final of that tournament.

Also, there are NOT any top GAC teams. 12 teams in the NSIC are better than any GAC team.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
              Wow, the Fall of 2014. That was a weird one here in Marshall. I watched that national title game - Slick Rick and the boys couldn't get anything going. It was brutal.

Week 10 vs. WSU - Charlie Football goes down in the second quarter and is done for the day. They have to replace him with some Red Shirt Freshman out of Marshalltown - who's only game experience up to this point was as the fill-in kicker. They won that game by 3 points. The volleyball team also went to the title game - pulling out a come-from-behind nailbiter to Sonoma State, and then sweeping GVSU. They ran into a brick wall with Tampa, losing 3-0.

The only D1 sporting events I've seen are baseball games - Mostly Gophers, and one Beavers hockey game (lots of NWL if we count that). A few of them are "notable" in some regard - mainly 2010 vs. LA Tech to open up Target Field, and 2016 vs. Seattle U, their first game @ US Bank (which had been opened earlier that morning by a couple of JUCOs). I also saw Texas when they came up here. Unfortunately, I was at the game the day after Brother Tom made them look a little funny. I met the coach of the Longhorns that day. I'd see Brother Sam skate for the Bemidji State Beavers around the same time - It's a small world.

I'm hoping to see my first D1 basketball game this season - well, D2 vs. D1. Stangs and Huskers.

The VB Final Four is at Target Center this year - I can't imagine it's all that expensive and I doubt it would sellout, so I plan to attend that as well.

Didn't mean to get the thread off track - your post just brought me down memory lane.
              The Volleyball Final Four is a lock to sell out and tickets won't be cheap. Especially is Minnesota (very likely) and Nebraska (possible) make it. Both teams have huge fan bases and Nebraska travels well and sells out 10,000 every game. Minnesota sells out 5600 but Minnesotans will eat this up (remember the Gopher women's hoops final four run). Folks who had never watched a girls or womens bb game watched every game with earnest.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest69 View Post
                Region sets up nicely for UNK, who faces NSIC JV-caliber Harding then winner of banged up CSP and SMSU.
                Every year the MIAA *****es that they have to come to NSIC Country for this.

For once, the NSIC beat the hell out of each other equally and the MIAA gets the #1 seed.

CSP is banged up beyond belief and I can't see them winning 3 in a row. So, this is the year for the rest of the field (especially those MIAA complainers.

Frankly, I think the top 6 (less CSP - only because of injury) are all about equal and any of those top 6 can win it. \

And UNK gets to host. If the MIAA doesn't get through this year, they can quit complaining.

Top to bottom the NSIC is vastly superior, but the top of the MIAA is very good as well. The 3 teams that made it from the MIAA are all deserving without a doubt -- so was USF who is vastly better than Harding. USF would beat Harding 3-0.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                  .The only D1 sporting events I've seen are baseball games - Mostly Gophers, and one Beavers hockey game (lots of NWL if we count that). A few of them are "notable" in some regard - mainly 2010 vs. LA Tech to open up Target Field, and 2016 vs. Seattle U, their first game @ US Bank (which had been opened earlier that morning by a couple of JUCOs). I also saw Texas when they came up here. Unfortunately, I was at the game the day after Brother Tom made them look a little funny. I met the coach of the Longhorns that day. I'd see Brother Sam skate for the Bemidji State Beavers around the same time - It's a small world.

The VB Final Four is at Target Center this year - I can't imagine it's all that expensive and I doubt it would sellout, so I plan to attend that as well.
                  I wanted to go to that LA Tech game, woke up with a terrible sore throat and stayed home to recover. Did go to watch the Gophs play Seattle. Sat next to a guy from Cleveland who had been to the Gopher basketball game and came over just to see the new stadium. After he sat down he realized that the Gophers were playing Seattle, where HE had played baseball. It is a small world.

I think that the Final Four for VB will be sold out. It is a big draw. I've been to Gopher VB games- they are packed.

Comment

1. Nebraska Kearney vs 8. Harding
                    4. Concordia-St. Paul vs. 5. Southwest Minnesota State
                    2. Minnesota Duluth vs. 7. Central Missouri
                    3. Washburn vs. 6. Northern State.

Committee gives Central Mo the nod over Sioux Falls. Central Mo beat region #10 Northwest Mo and lost to #1 UNK since final region rankings. USF beat then #2 CSP and lost to then #4 UMD in final week.
                    Welp... Disappointed but somewhat expected.
                    4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
                    2016 NSIC Champions
                    🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

1. Nebraska Kearney vs 8. Harding
                      4. Concordia-St. Paul vs. 5. Southwest Minnesota State
                      2. Minnesota Duluth vs. 7. Central Missouri
                      3. Washburn vs. 6. Northern State.

Committee gives Central Mo the nod over Sioux Falls. Central Mo beat region #10 Northwest Mo and lost to #1 UNK since final region rankings. USF beat then #2 CSP and lost to then #4 UMD in final week.
                      If you look at this http://web1.ncaa.org/champsel_new/ex...=15&division=2 from the NCAA, I don't think the CentralMO vs Sioux Falls question was much of an issue. The Jennies appear to have the better numbers in most of the catagories.

Comment

Since the regions were changed to this configuration, I don't believe an NSIC team has lost a game that didn't involve 2 teams from the NSIC. I don't think CentralMO can beat Duluth so the Washburn/Northern game or the Keaney (if they beat Harding) vs the Concordia/Southwest winner is the best chance to end this embarrassing streak.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
                          The Volleyball Final Four is a lock to sell out and tickets won't be cheap. Especially is Minnesota (very likely) and Nebraska (possible) make it. Both teams have huge fan bases and Nebraska travels well and sells out 10,000 every game. Minnesota sells out 5600 but Minnesotans will eat this up (remember the Gopher women's hoops final four run). Folks who had never watched a girls or womens bb game watched every game with earnest.
                          Good point - I will keep that in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                            I wanted to go to that LA Tech game, woke up with a terrible sore throat and stayed home to recover. Did go to watch the Gophs play Seattle. Sat next to a guy from Cleveland who had been to the Gopher basketball game and came over just to see the new stadium. After he sat down he realized that the Gophers were playing Seattle, where HE had played baseball. It is a small world.

I think that the Final Four for VB will be sold out. It is a big draw. I've been to Gopher VB games- they are packed.
                            Ha wow - that's crazy.

He didn't play that day, but one of the Gophers is the son of SMSU's AD. His (AD's) wife was coaches by Terry Culhane in HS, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                              If you look at this from the NCAA, I don't think the CentralMO vs Sioux Falls question was much of an issue. The Jennies appear to have the better numbers in most of the catagories.
                              I have no issue with the data nor the final rankings; I think ranking USF 6th in the last regional rankings was misleading. And this isn't the first time that the regional rankings have not correctly reflected the data. No reason to believe that USF was jumped by Central Mo swapped spots based on the final week results. I didn't look at the numbers in the third ranking release, but based on the final performance indicator numbers, Central Mo shouldn't have been ranked behind USF in last week's rankings. That said, I think volleyball performance indicator weighs second-order/pythagorean wins too much in their final value, but that is tough to separate when factoring in strength of schedule. Either way, on to basketball season...finally.

Comment

Regiona teams are ranked nationally as follows.

#3 #4 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10

Ridiculous.

Ridiculously hard.

amazing

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X