Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 NSIC Volleyball

Originally posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post
    I assure you the committee does not even care about national polls. It's solely about the numbers, and then, if teams are close, then it breaks down the "human element" in comparing top wins / bad losses / etc.

The biggest problem in the Central region for volleyball is that the top teams from the NSIC purposely schedule away from the MIAA/GAC top teams in the nonconference portion of the season, so unless teams meet by accident / day two at the Premier, there's never a common opponents category for the committee to use.
    Purposely schedule away? I don't believe that for a second.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
      Purposely schedule away? I don't believe that for a second.
      OK. Just relaying what I've heard, that's all.
      Last edited by TSU_Mike59; 11-08-2018, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Comment

Here is Concordia's non-conference schedule.

At Ferris: Hillsdale, Wayne State U, Ferris, Rollins

At MSU-Denver: Commerce, MSU-Denver, Central Missouri, Southwest State.

I'm not going to bother looking at the other NSIC schedules but that probably isn't ducking.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest69 View Post
            USF beat SMSU in five this year, second time overall; first time they'd beaten Concordia...two weeks ago. How am I just now finding this volleyball thread?
            Not only did I just find the volleyball thread, I'm embarrassed to admit I watched my first USF volleyball match on Tuesday night.

Really enjoyed it. I'll definitely be watching more and make it a point to see some in person next season.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
              I'm not going to bother looking at the other NSIC schedules but that probably isn't ducking.

SMSU Non-Conference/Neutral Site (5-3):

-@ #2 West Florida Invitational (8/24-8/25): #5 Western Washington (W 3-0), #15 West Florida (L 1-3), #7 Regis (Colo) (L 2-3), #24 Wheeling Jesuit (W. Va) (W 3-0)
              -@ #8 Colorado Premier Challenge (8/31-(9/1): Colorado Christian (W 3-2), Saint Leo (Fla) (W, 3-0), Missouri Western State (W 3-0), #2 Concordia-St. Paul (L 0-3)

SMSU Conference Losses:
              -#7 (9/14) Winona St. (0-3)
              -#10 (9/22) #2 Concordia-St. Paul (2-3)
              -#10 (10/6) St. Cloud St. (1-3)
              -#12 (10/9) Sioux Falls (2-3)

*Don't shoot the messenger on rankings if they're wrong. I used SMSU game recaps - and opponent recaps if nothing was listed (or they were contradictory).

SMSU (2018) vs. SMSU (2014 - National Runner Up) thru 29 Games:

-2014: 21-8
              -2018: 22-7

Non-Conference/Neutral Site Record (First 8 Games)*:

-2014: 5-3
              -2018: 5-3

*Both include (1) 0-3 loss from Concordia-St. Paul @ neutral site.

NSIC Tournament Record:

-2014: 1-1
              -2018: 1-0

-It's also worth pointing out that the 2014 team finished 26-10 overall. The 2018 team won't finish with more than 9 losses.

I don't intend for anything in this post to be any sort of real analysis (especially the second half), it's just a bunch of information I found to be interesting - I thought I'd share it with the thread.
              Last edited by SW_Mustang; 11-08-2018, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Here is Concordia's non-conference schedule.

At Ferris: Hillsdale, Wayne State U, Ferris, Rollins

At MSU-Denver: Commerce, MSU-Denver, Central Missouri, Southwest State.

I said MIAA teams, because common opponents and head-to-head directly impacts who hosts the regional. And on that list, the only top MIAA team was day two at the Crossover, which isn't something they directly schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post
                  Not only did I just find the volleyball thread, I'm embarrassed to admit I watched my first USF volleyball match on Tuesday night.

Really enjoyed it. I'll definitely be watching more and make it a point to see some in person next season.
                  Agree. A lot of athleticism in collegiate volleyball. I watched the Mn State/Northern game the other night; first college VB game I have. I was head coach at the high school I taught at for five years, but kind of got away from it since. The skill level of the players is quite amazing at the college level.

Comment

Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post
                    Agree. A lot of athleticism in collegiate volleyball. I watched the Mn State/Northern game the other night; first college VB game I have. I was head coach at the high school I taught at for five years, but kind of got away from it since. The skill level of the players is quite amazing at the college level.
                    No kidding! I was blown away with how good both teams were. I don't know how anyone can react that fast. I had no idea that college level volleyball was this intense.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post
                      No kidding! I was blown away with how good both teams were. I don't know how anyone can react that fast. I had no idea that college level volleyball was this intense.
                      It's so fun to watch. I made time for every home game of the second half this year. As a conference, we get a ton of Top 10, and even Top 5 matchups every year - it's really something.

It's an event in Marshall. The team has their own gym and it's often packed. A lot of the other athletes come out when they can, which is neat. It gets loud in there too - holy smokes. There was one bonkers play against CSP last week, and the crowd went nuts.

I love everything about it.

The plan right now is to go see the D1 Final Four - I don't really follow D1, but that should be a blast.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                        The plan right now is to go see the D1 Final Four - I don't really follow D1, but that should be a blast.
                        In 1988 I was at Williams Arena to watch Texas beat Hawaii 3-0 in the championship game. I was at the Women's Basketball Final Four in 1995 when UConn beat Tennessee for their first title. Saw the Men's championship game in 1992 at the Metrodome when Duke beat Michigan. Saw the Final Four in Indianapolis when Minnesota was there in 1997. Great atmosphere every time. Same with the D2 Elite 8s that I have been to. The biggest disappointment was the D2 football championship in 2014. Just couldn't do anything that day.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                          I got to go to the round of 16 matches in Ames a couple years back to see Stanford, Illinois, and a couple other teams, and man, that's such high-level. If you can get to the Final Four this year up there, by all means, do it!

Comment

In 1988 I was at Williams Arena to watch Texas beat Hawaii 3-0 in the championship game. I was at the Women's Basketball Final Four in 1995 when UConn beat Tennessee for their first title. Saw the Men's championship game in 1992 at the Metrodome when Duke beat Michigan. Saw the Final Four in Indianapolis when Minnesota was there in 1997. Great atmosphere every time. Same with the D2 Elite 8s that I have been to. The biggest disappointment was the D2 football championship in 2014. Just couldn't do anything that day.
                            Wow, the Fall of 2014. That was a weird one here in Marshall. I watched that national title game - Slick Rick and the boys couldn't get anything going. It was brutal.

Week 10 vs. WSU - Charlie Football goes down in the second quarter and is done for the day. They have to replace him with some Red Shirt Freshman out of Marshalltown - who's only game experience up to this point was as the fill-in kicker. They won that game by 3 points. The volleyball team also went to the title game - pulling out a come-from-behind nailbiter to Sonoma State, and then sweeping GVSU. They ran into a brick wall with Tampa, losing 3-0.

The only D1 sporting events I've seen are baseball games - Mostly Gophers, and one Beavers hockey game (lots of NWL if we count that). A few of them are "notable" in some regard - mainly 2010 vs. LA Tech to open up Target Field, and 2016 vs. Seattle U, their first game @ US Bank (which had been opened earlier that morning by a couple of JUCOs). I also saw Texas when they came up here. Unfortunately, I was at the game the day after Brother Tom made them look a little funny. I met the coach of the Longhorns that day. I'd see Brother Sam skate for the Bemidji State Beavers around the same time - It's a small world.

I'm hoping to see my first D1 basketball game this season - well, D2 vs. D1. Stangs and Huskers.

The VB Final Four is at Target Center this year - I can't imagine it's all that expensive and I doubt it would sellout, so I plan to attend that as well.

Didn't mean to get the thread off track - your post just brought me down memory lane.

Comment

I got to go to the round of 16 matches in Ames a couple years back to see Stanford, Illinois, and a couple other teams, and man, that's such high-level. If you can get to the Final Four this year up there, by all means, do it!
                              We hosted the D2 Central Region Tournament last season - there was a buzz in the city unlike anything I'd ever experienced while living here. There were a lot of people and the stands were packed for the home team. I had to stand shoulder-to-shoulder for the Ark. Tech game - no place to sit.

Anyway, as far as the Final Four goes - I'd imagine it would be an electric atmosphere if the Gophers punch their ticket. Even still, I think it would be really fun to see. That's around finals though, so I'd have to coordinate it carefully.

Comment

Anyone else live stats not working?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X