X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penguins87
    replied
    Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

He took a pay cut to go there. No assistants going with him, but former player will go as GA.

Leave a comment:

• Sportsnut
    replied

Appears it's a real circle jerk going on at the Admin level at WL. Mr. Watson being retired over a year and not announcing the position yet to be filled for AD. Why is this, trying to save money, just guessing? Anyway, the one good thing we have now is in jeopardy. Hope Ben Howlett gets the job and another player from the Crutch area gets hired as assistant to keep the same type of play. Probably Ben did most of the recruiting for the present players and he has been the primary recruiter for the last 5 or 6 years.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

WL is a D2 brand name in basketball. You put a decent salary out there and the applicants will come crawling. There's tons of schools in isolated locations. WL is pretty extreme but nonetheless.

The timing issue, as Boat mentioned, is very important. As I've said, Calhoun is done at Fairmont within days of their season ending. That's a lock.

I can't see Sancomb getting the YSU job but you never know.

At the very least, WL could be competing against Fairmont for applicants should they 'open' the position to the outside world. Staying with a Crutch disciple likely means keeping the WL style of play.

A name nobody has mentioned who might have genuine interest ... Kent McBride. While he did as good as could be done with the mess he inherited at Cal, he also got exposed to playing in front of 'announced' crowds of 250 people in a 6,000 seat arena and was exposed to a season of 'playing in the mud' of PSAC West basketball and its famous 55-52 games. I wouldn't rule him out for any of the potential other MEC jobs.

Leave a comment:

• FlyHawk98
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Chaminade ... as in Honolulu, Hawaii ... like Paradise, USA. Come back to West Liberty, WV? I guess stranger things could happen.

I have no idea. If he has family in the area then you never know. I just know that he is also a great person, and he has HC experience.

I want Ben Howlett but I'm just throwing out other options in case he doesn't want it.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by Bware2 View Post
    You are right on boat, It is instability.. Crutch wasn't even asked his opinion on who he thought might take over as the new AD. All started with Huffman stepping down and It got that bad with this cronyism that has started with these two new coach/ADs. Hasnt been the same since Jim Watson left 2 years ago..Crutch would tell you that..

This president has been listening to the wrong people
    Well...the academics got what they wanted when they forced out the pervious President. Got a guy who appears to be in way over his head and either unwilling or unable to make a decision! Does WLU have geographic issues that are going to cause some applicants for the AD and now BB HC jobs to not apply? Sure...but with a national caliber basketball team, they should have been enticing enough to a host of hard charging experienced AD looking to step up and make a name for himself to apply. To the best of my knowledge, the AD position isn't even announced!!!!! Now that AD position looks a bit less attractive knowing that Crutch is gone. And prospective coaches looking to apply for the BB HC position are going to see this disfunction/inability to select a permanent AD and could think twice before applying...particularly if they have a good resume or are in a good position now.

Robin Capehart has to be sitting somewhere laughing.
    Last edited by boatcapt; 03-22-2017, 02:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied

Originally posted by FlyHawk98 View Post
    Does Coach Boavair (spelling?) want to come back? He was an assistant under Critchfield and has been the head coach of Chaminade for a few years now.
    Bovaird I believe

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Chaminade ... as in Honolulu, Hawaii ... like Paradise, USA. Come back to West Liberty, WV? I guess stranger things could happen.

Leave a comment:

• Bware2
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    We're approaching a year since AD Watson retired. That is just ridiculous and I wouldn't be surprised if that instability didn't play into Crutch's decision.

As I said a couple of months ago, the only logical choice for AD was Crutch. Coach with the highest winning % in college basketball history...respected by everyone who came in contact with him...proven ability in other sports in addition to the one he was most famous for. Seemed like a no brain pick for AD to me. Fact that the President ether couldn't see this or didn't have the stones to make it happen speaks volumes.
    You are right on boat, It is instability.. Crutch wasn't even asked his opinion on who he thought might take over as the new AD. All started with Huffman stepping down and It got that bad with this cronyism that has started with these two new coach/ADs. Hasnt been the same since Jim Watson left 2 years ago..Crutch would tell you that..

This president has been listening to the wrong people

Leave a comment:

• FlyHawk98
    replied

Does Coach Boavair (spelling?) want to come back? He was an assistant under Critchfield and has been the head coach of Chaminade for a few years now.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by Bware2 View Post
    Trust me it is not the money, he's taking a pay cut
    We're approaching a year since AD Watson retired. That is just ridiculous and I wouldn't be surprised if that instability didn't play into Crutch's decision.

As I said a couple of months ago, the only logical choice for AD was Crutch. Coach with the highest winning % in college basketball history...respected by everyone who came in contact with him...proven ability in other sports in addition to the one he was most famous for. Seemed like a no brain pick for AD to me. Fact that the President ether couldn't see this or didn't have the stones to make it happen speaks volumes.

Leave a comment:

• Bware2
    replied

Originally posted by timbertopper View Post
    Don't discount the money factor. State government is in total disarray here in W.Va. with significant higher education funding cuts forcing every institution - including West Liberty - into huge cutbacks on an annual basis. Athletics funding has major sustained cuts - as it should - along with everything else for the past few years and another enormous cut is looming on the horizon as the legislature fights about the budget in Charleston. We're still in the business of educating leaders for the states surrounding us. :)

Another poster pointed out that several other MEC coaches are testing the waters or have one foot out the door - just like Cal (Pa.) wisely raided Concord for its new coach a year ago. Hard to blame Crutch for heading south to much "greener" ($$$$$) pastures - especially when there's a beach involved. More will follow.
    Trust me it is not the money, he's taking a pay cut

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Given the general dysfunction in the WLU athletic department, I have no doubt they will take the easy way out and promote from within. Of course we have two capable assistants so that doesn't necessarily have to end up bad. But thats assuming Crutch doesn't take them with him. Given the dysfunction of the athletic department, could you blame either (or both) for hoping on a non-stop from Pittsburgh to Miami and never look back. Have you SEEN the facilities at Nova?? Makes WLU look like a one A school!

He11, who are we kidding. One of our "Co-Acting Athletic Directors" will probably just hire himself for the job. That way he will be the Head Coach of the mens and women basketball team, the Co-Acting Athletic Director and the color announcer for WLU's football games. And our new President will be just fine with that.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

How much was Crutch making at WL? Any idea the yearly amount from Nova?

Leave a comment:

• timbertopper
    replied

Don't discount the money factor. State government is in total disarray here in W.Va. with significant higher education funding cuts forcing every institution - including West Liberty - into huge cutbacks on an annual basis. Athletics funding has major sustained cuts - as it should - along with everything else for the past few years and another enormous cut is looming on the horizon as the legislature fights about the budget in Charleston. We're still in the business of educating leaders for the states surrounding us. :)

Another poster pointed out that several other MEC coaches are testing the waters or have one foot out the door - just like Cal (Pa.) wisely raided Concord for its new coach a year ago. Hard to blame Crutch for heading south to much "greener" ($$$$$) pastures - especially when there's a beach involved. More will follow.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied

Well, Hilltopper faithful, our greatest fears are realized....Crutch is leaving...can't bad mouth him at all...He was the king of the hilltop, and made the program what it is today---One of the most recognized D2 basketball programs and perenially a TOP 10 fixture...

Sounds like he needed a change and sounds like lack of leadership in the administration, and wanting a challenge lead him to FL.

As for the transition, I vote for Ben Howlett as Head coach...Not sure why I favor him over Aaron Huffman, but I do...I think if you hire an internal candidate, most, if not all, players stay...if you go outside, then you could lose some players...And being realistic, you lose players anyway, even when there isn't a coaching change...Beau Justice, Marco Columbo, Shawn Dyer, Bubby Goodwin, Torin Wetzel, Nick Brown...the list goes on.... And even if Crutch stayed, you almost have to expect one defection on average anyway...

But make no mistake this is big news, and quite a coup for Nova SE...

Anyone want to speculate on coaching hires?

Do they even consider anyone outside the hilltop? It's a unique program for sure, and if you want to keep the "running hilltopper" brand, you better stay internal...Who makes the decision to hire? Sounds like a quagmire of incompetence at the top...

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X