Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

Even at that the 67.9 is third lowest in the PSAC.

I certainly don't expect a pushover tonight. Mercyhurst tends to shoot the lights out at the KCAC. The Lakers also had a bye this past Saturday so they've had a week of preparation. I like IUP to win tonight ... somewhere in the 80-72 range with a close game throughout. I'd assume Mercyhurst does everything it can to slow the pace down to a crawl.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Gannon's starting five all played 35 minutes (or more). That's incredible. Is Reilly having 'dog house' issues again or does he really not trust anybody on the bench? It's a testament to his starters' conditioning that they can play the whole game with next to no breathers but that doesn't seem like a very sustainable approach.

UPJ at Gannon will be one of the better games this week.
      It's not a dog-house issue; it's the fact that he is really, really comfortable with this group on the floor. Agree that it's not sustainable. Their conditioning is great, but it doesn't help anyone that the bench plays fewer than 10% of the minutes. He rarely, if ever, substitutes in the second half in particular. It lost the Stroudsburg game for GU.

It also hurts that the bench players have so little game-readiness that they probably don't perform as well when they are called on. I'm interested to see if a freshman like Jimmy Berger, who has been brilliant this season, hits the proverbial "Freshman Wall" due to the number of minutes he has logged throughout the year.

Will be a fun one tonight against UPJ at the Hammermill. We'll be following the live stats for IUP / Mercy as well (not that we have a shot to catch IUP ... just because it should be a decent game).

Comment

UPJ is a nice, scrappy team. I think their record should be a little better than it is to this point. I really like the point guard. Leahey isn't flashy but can do some serious damage. On the right night they can be a really dangerous opponent. That's kind of been their deal the past few years .... always on the verge but not quite over the hump. Ruckavina (sp) does a nice job up there. It's probably not the easiest place to recruit to but he's been there 24-25 years.

Comment

IUP wins a slop fest by 11 points.

Best summary of IUP's 25 turnover performance is to puke in a garbage can for three minutes and then stick your head in it for three minutes and enjoy the aroma.

Sums it up pretty well.

If I'm Joe there is no film review. Bury it and move on to the next one.

Positive is they shot over 50 percent and creamed the Lakers on the boards 34-18. Cottrell 15 points and 7 blocks.

But ... ugliest IUP performance I've seen in a long time.
          Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 02-01-2017, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Yeah, not exactly a great game for the first webcast of the year. The teams combined for almost as many turnovers (43) as made field goals (45). Ugly even by PSAC West standards.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              IUP wins a slop fest by 11 points.

Best summary of IUP's 25 turnover performance is to puke in a garbage can for three minutes and then stick your head in it for three minutes and enjoy the aroma.

Sums it up pretty well.

If I'm Joe there is no film review. Bury it and move on to the next one.

Positive is they shot over 50 percent and creamed the Lakers on the boards 34-18. Cottrell 15 points and 7 blocks.

But ... ugliest IUP performance I've seen in a long time.
              IUP beat Gannon pretty easily despite a crapload of turnovers. They will have to control those if they want to compete in the regional.

Gannon UPJ was a very interesting game. Great touch pass from Miraud to Phoenix for go-ahead basket with eight seconds left.

Zay Jackson did not start (think he was sick), but played significant minutes before leaving with an injury. He hit the floor hard on a drive to the hoop. Status unknown. He is needed for GU to have any shot.

Comment

If they want to act like Allen Iverson and Pete Marovich against the Regional level teams .... the season will end pretty quickly.

To have 25 TO and still win by double digits is hard to fathom but it happened.

Joe dodged a bullet last night. Thirty-some games ... it will happen. Hopefully it is now out of the system.

My hair gets a little more gray by the game.

This is the most bizarre 20-2 team ever.

Side note last night was the first home game with students since Dec 10. That's incredible.

More incredible: watching the entire student section empty and leave with 9 minutes left in a 2-point game. What a joke.

The women's game, btw, was a thriller last night with IUP getting a big, 73-71, buzzer-beating win over Mercyhurst.

Comment

Slippery Rock (8-8, 12-10) at IUP (15-1, 20-2)

2-4-17
                  7:30 p.m.

The best home game of the year has finally arrived. It's hard to say exactly 'why' but many in the IUP following consider this the biggest rivalry game of the year. It generally has one of the largest gate draws of the season and also one of the more excited crowds. And, to think, some say Kevin Reynolds is bad for business. If his visit to town is enough to get the KCAC amped up ... more power to him.

A look inside the series:

* IUP is 8-3 in the past 11 meetings against SRU.
                  * Joe is 20-6 career vs. Kevin Reynolds
                  * Recall, under similar circumstances a year ago, SRU dealt IUP a devastating upset defeat inside Morrow in late February (ending IUP's 13-game winning streak).
                  * Slippery Rock's last win in Indiana was during the 1990-91 season
                  * IUP leads the all-time series, 104-73
                  * SRU has a win against IUP in 3 of the past 4 seasons -- very impressive all things considered
                  * Slippery Rock's last 'Saturday night' visit to Indiana (not over a break), during the 2014 season, drew more than 3,100 (The same night of the infamous Reynolds technical that ultimately blew the game for SRU). That was 'one of' the better atmospheres ever at the KCAC that night. The crowd got to him that night more than the game and he finally lost it.
                  * IUP won the first meeting this season, 65-50, on Jan. 6 at Morrow Field House
                  * A footnote some may not know: Kevin Reynolds was an assistant coach at IUP under Gary Edwards. So much irony as Edwards' sideline antics were very similar to Reynolds.
                  * Slippery Rock is No. 1 in the PSAC in scoring defense -- giving up just 61.3 ppg
                  * Slippery Rock is also No. 1 in the PSAC in Rebounding Margin (10.8)
                  * Free Throw shooting has been the Rock's Achilles' Heel -- SRU is shooting just 64.5% from the line. At minimum, this has cost SRU 4-5 games this season.

Side note: The women's game is the rematch of IUP blasting SRU earlier this season. The same night the SRU ladies got three technicals and Coach Bobby McGraw was ejected.
                  Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 02-03-2017, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Have to pull for SRU in this one. Give them the third spot in the psac west so a return visit to the hammermill is possible. Gannon is almost a lock at the two seed. That would be a must see game.

Comment

Mjtheman: I've been curious ... what school is your favorite? I can tell you follow the PSAC pretty closely ... just can't tell what camp you're in?

Comment

Just a basketball fan. Iup men and cal women are the two I really enjoy watching. I do respect a lot of other psac men's and women's teams and coaches.

Comment

SRU's last win at IUP was in 1990-91? I assume they play there every year? 26 straight wins? For real? WOW!!!

Clarion has a similar streak of futility at Gannon, but they only restarted their annual home-and-home series when Gannon joined the PSAC in 2009.

Comment

There have been several tight ones but, yes, it goes back to the 90-91 season.

I feel for Clarion. I didn't realize until I updated the standings on here today that they've dropped 13 straight.

Comment

IUP 83
                              Rock 66

Final

The women hung 105 on the rock.

SH men upset Gannon
                              Mercy all over Clarion
                              UPJ put a hundy up on Boro
                              Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 02-04-2017, 08:47 PM.

Comment

With the IUP win and Gannon loss, the Crimson Hawks' lead in the West is now four games.

IUP shot 68 percent from the field last night (83-66 win) -- SRU led the PSAC in FG% against and points against entering the game. The only negative is the team seemed to lose some interest after being up 20 at the half.

Even Reynolds was silent in the second half. He looked and acted defeated. Total mismatch.

There haven't been many total run-aways in the West as long as I can remember.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X