Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

That's an impressive exhibition schedule. The Notre Dame women are a powerhouse. I've said it many times this off-season ... Tom's biggest hurdle this year isn't going to be talent on the floor ... it's going to be keeping all that said talent happy (and the parents). When you have a roster legitimately 12-13 deep ... that's a lot of mouths to feed.

Comment

Parents should be non factors!!! It's college not little league!

Comment

Lol ... agree 100 percent. But ... ask Jeff Dow how that theory worked out.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
          Parents should be non factors!!! It's college not little league!
          Politics is still politics!

It should be real interesting to see how a certain situation plays out this season!

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            Lol ... agree 100 percent. But ... ask Jeff Dow how that theory worked out.
            No need to ask Jeff Dow, if he isn't strong enough to keep the parents away then he's got to go!!! It's college and these girls are adults. Parents = good bye!!!

You don't see Joe having these problems!!!

Comment

True. Joe doesn't recruit IHS kids, either.

Dow ran in to a very sticky situation with some VERY influential locals. Much of it never made this board or obviously in to the press.

On that note, I could see Joe having some interest in IHS rising senior Carlos Carter.

Comment

The Dec. 19 game against Fairmont State is confirmed to be in WV.

Fairmont initially posted the game as being in Indiana.

Comment

Gannon added a post player to the roster. Kofi Mills (6'8", 220 lbs) from Niagara CC (JUCO). He doesn't bring overly impressive stats with him (started about half the games there and averaged about 6 pts and 5 boards but does block shots).

Gannon took two major off-season losses with freshman PG Jimmy Berger and guard Ian Gardner leaving the program. Not sure what to expect in the Hammermill this season. Each off-season lately is becoming a mass exodus of its top players.

Comment

Gannon added a post player to the roster. Kofi Mills (6'8", 220 lbs) from Niagara CC (JUCO). He doesn't bring overly impressive stats with him (started about half the games there and averaged about 6 pts and 5 boards but does block shots).

Gannon took two major off-season losses with freshman PG Jimmy Berger and guard Ian Gardner leaving the program. Not sure what to expect in the Hammermill this season. Each off-season lately is becoming a mass exodus of its top players.
                    Admittedly haven't had my ear to the ground, but where did Gardner and Berger go? Both were nice players.

Comment

The Dec. 19 game against Fairmont State is confirmed to be in WV.

Fairmont initially posted the game as being in Indiana.
                      So here is my question... Was this the supposed 2 for 1 contract that IUP apparently wanted and WLU said no too? Is Fairmont coming to IUP then for the 2018 season?
                      Last edited by IUP24; 08-23-2017, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Hard to say. I'd like to see them continue the series. Maybe WL would be more open to the series now. In Crutch's defense, if that story is true, I wouldn't have agreed to a 2-for-1, either. I think Joe can pull that stuff with the lesser programs but not with heavyweights. That said, Joe wouldn't have taken the opposite of that with Fairmont so I'm sure they'll be at the KCAC the following year to complete a 2-and-2.

For as close in proximity as many schools are I'd much rather watch these games than see WL host Cheyney, etc. IUP used to routinely play Wheeling Jesuit but that stopped many, many years ago. I'd have loved to see IUP vs. Wheeling Jesuit this year in the regular season. Or WL/Fairmont vs. Shippensburg. But, we probably will soon enough come March. There are some real loaded teams this year in SR1. IUP's been building up for these next two years for a couple years. I don't think expectations for the next two seasons could be any higher.

Comment

Hard to say. I'd like to see them continue the series. Maybe WL would be more open to the series now. In Crutch's defense, if that story is true, I wouldn't have agreed to a 2-for-1, either. I think Joe can pull that stuff with the lesser programs but not with heavyweights. That said, Joe wouldn't have taken the opposite of that with Fairmont so I'm sure they'll be at the KCAC the following year to complete a 2-and-2.

For as close in proximity as many schools are I'd much rather watch these games than see WL host Cheyney, etc. IUP used to routinely play Wheeling Jesuit but that stopped many, many years ago. I'd have loved to see IUP vs. Wheeling Jesuit this year in the regular season. Or WL/Fairmont vs. Shippensburg. But, we probably will soon enough come March. There are some real loaded teams this year in SR1. IUP's been building up for these next two years for a couple years. I don't think expectations for the next two seasons could be any higher.
                          You might be able to tell me more about this, but I actually heard that a big part of the reason was that Crutchfield turned down the IUP series was because he wanted to use MEC officials for all of the games, but Joe said no. That's what a friend of mine who worked in the athletic department told me. He said it wasn't so much the 2 for 1. Apparently that was going to be okay, but Crutch wanted his guys in stripes for all 3 and never Joe's.

How does that work in basketball anyways? I know in football the road team's conference supplies the officials. That's how it works in Division 1 football at least. No idea if it's the same at the D2 level or if it's the same in basketball. If that whole thing is true, he must have really feared potentially playing against big boys in the post who would likely be allowed to muscle up, get physical, and play ball all game.

I think Crutchfield was a great coach at West Liberty. I often times think he was the only coach in the region with an ego bigger than Joe's though.

Comment

Interesting. I can't recall who officiated the last time they played (in the Regional final). As you recall in that game it wasn't so much a physical game as IUP was actually able to slow them down and it seemed to really frustrate them to not be able to dictate their frantic pace. Even the year before in the Regionals when WL won like 99-98 or something in Double OT Joe did a real good job of slowing the pace. That game should have never went to OT but that's part of the game. Damn missed foul shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                              Interesting. I can't recall who officiated the last time they played (in the Regional final). As you recall in that game it wasn't so much a physical game as IUP was actually able to slow them down and it seemed to really frustrate them to not be able to dictate their frantic pace. Even the year before in the Regionals when WL won like 99-98 or something in Double OT Joe did a real good job of slowing the pace. That game should have never went to OT but that's part of the game. Damn missed foul shot.

Marcel missed the front end of a 1 and 1 with just under two minutes left in the game. I think they were up 5. He sinks both of those and they go 7... Boy... you have to think IUP has a really good chance of beating East Stroud two nights later.

I think Jeffers missed one or two late in the first overtime that would have iced it, but the Marcel miss in regulation still haunts me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's amazing to think back to that 2015 regional final. I'm not sure if I've ever watched a team in any sport at any level execute a game plan that well. I can recall posts from after that game. Even West Liberty posters. Everybody said, it wasn't that WL didn't play great, IUP was just greater.

The way they tactically stuck to that idea of taking a shot if it was there early and if not waiting until there was 10 on the shot clock to run the offense was incredible. Those guys on the court didn't even blink. Not once. I recall that IUP controlled most of the 2nd half until about the last 5 minutes when things got a little frantic. What I can't recall is if West Liberty ever actually took the lead during that stretch though. I remember CJ Hester hitting a three and that place just going bananas, but I think that was to tie it. Even then, when that place was getting ready to burst, those guys just weren't phased.

I still don't know if IUP was the better of those two teams based on talent when you compare the two on paper. However, that team was "built for the moment" as they like to say. Every player on that roster was the right guy for the role he played. It's a rare combination for that, and fun to reflect on.

I can only hope Dante can find that slow heartbeat in the big games that Devante had. He will need it for these next two years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X