Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    The NCAA posted attendance numbers from this past (2016-17) men's basketball season.

Top Top 5 in D2:

1. Northern State (3,552 avg)
    2. Augustana (2,661)
    3. Dixie State (2,660)
    4. Fort Hays State (2,557)
    5. South West Minnesota State (2,033)

15. Virginia Union (1,502)
    21. IUP (1,367)

The top D2 conference for men's attendance was the MIAA with an average gate of 1,307. For reference, the No. 10 overall conference averaged 643. Neither the PSAC or MEC was in the Top 10.
    Wonder what the ticket prices are for the top tier programs that draw attendance?

IUP is only hurting themselves by being so stupid.

-

Comment

I agree with you guys. I think had she been pursuing head jobs she would have had one already (easily). Maybe she'll be the heir apparent when Tom hangs it up. I don't know how old Tom is but I'd have to guess about 60 or so.
      Actually he graduated POINT PARK in '84, so that makes him 54-55 and likely not going anywhere soon. KM should probably start listening to offers if she hasn't already.

Comment

By all accounts she has no interest in pursing head jobs. Who knows ... maybe she's set financially and doesn't want the added stress. I don't know her personal situation. But, I think we'd all agree she's a very big name in women's basketball and could surely being doing better career-wise at this point than being a D2 assistant. Perhaps the rumors are accurate and she just enjoys Indiana and working with the young ladies in the program.

Maybe she takes over when Tom calls it a day. Who knows. Certainly, she's had inquiries.

Comment

By all accounts she has no interest in pursing head jobs. Who knows ... maybe she's set financially and doesn't want the added stress. I don't know her personal situation. But, I think we'd all agree she's a very big name in women's basketball and could surely being doing better career-wise at this point than being a D2 assistant. Perhaps the rumors are accurate and she just enjoys Indiana and working with the young ladies in the program.

Maybe she takes over when Tom calls it a day. Who knows. Certainly, she's had inquiries.
          She did play in the WNBA and overseas (I believe). Maybe she made enough money so that isn't the deciding factor for everything. Maybe she has a husband and kids and uprooting their lives at this point is not an option. Maybe she just saw enough of what the stress of being a head coach does to people.

I would guess that Irish Tom is around 55/56ish. He has done rather well of late so I doubt that he is in much danger of losing his job.

-

Comment

The IUP women's program started its online auction last night. It's one of their big fundraisers for the year. There's some nice items.

Comment

Also on the women's front, the team will open things up with an exhibition at Pitt.

If Tom's ever going to have a team that could put a legitimate scare in to a big program like Pitt ... this is it.

Comment

The IUP women's program started its online auction last night. It's one of their big fundraisers for the year. There's some nice items.
                I bid $37.50 on Tom's car. I heard he was nearly choking in the basketball office.

-

Comment

Also on the women's front, the team will open things up with an exhibition at Pitt.

If Tom's ever going to have a team that could put a legitimate scare in to a big program like Pitt ... this is it.
                  I don't see that happening.

-

Comment

Not implying they could win ... just at least put up a decent showing ... similar to what the men did at Syracuse last year.

I remember watching when IUP went up 29-12 in the Carrier Dome and Jim Boheim called a timeout and blew up. The Orange played a little different from that point.

I think anything in the 15-25 point range against an ACC school is a good showing for a D2 program.

Not gonna lie ... I'd love to see IUP or Ship get a shot at Pitt this year on the men's side. But with that Evansville opening weekend I doubt they play a D1 exhibition this year. I think Sleva would actually start at Pitt this year.

Comment

Not implying they could win ... just at least put up a decent showing ... similar to what the men did at Syracuse last year.

I remember watching when IUP went up 29-12 in the Carrier Dome and Jim Boheim called a timeout and blew up. The Orange played a little different from that point.

I think anything in the 15-25 point range against an ACC school is a good showing for a D2 program.

Not gonna lie ... I'd love to see IUP or Ship get a shot at Pitt this year on the men's side. But with that Evansville opening weekend I doubt they play a D1 exhibition this year. I think Sleva would actually start at Pitt this year.
                      I think that it's within the realm of possibility that some of us on this forum may start for Pitt this year. Or at least until we had a screaming match with Baldo Stallings. LOL.

Did I hear the IUP WBB team is playing a scrimmage at Notre Dame this fall?

-

Comment

That's certainly the rumor for the second exhibition.

Notre Dame, my opinion, has one of the most underrated basketball facilities/atmospheres in the country. The women's program there draws huge crowds, too.

Comment

I know there is transience and turnover in all coaching ranks, but seems like there's more turnover at IUP Mens coaching ranks than typical....anyone else think so? Saw on website there's a new asst in town...

Wonder if Joe is a tough fella to work for?

Comment

It's been a pretty revolving door since Fite left. I've heard he's pretty tough on the assistants.

That said, it's very hard to make a living as a D2 assistant in basketball. The goal of any of these guys is to get to the next job up the ladder as fast as possible.

He does get on them as much during games as he does the players.

I don't know how closely you pay attention to IUP but Joe operates the program like a D1. He has the biggest game-day staff I've ever seen near the bench in 30-some years of watching D2 basketball. There is literally somebody to do everything. It's almost comical compared to other schools in the PSAC.

Joe also tends to only hire young and up-and-coming assistants -- generally guys who played D1 basketball in the not-so-distant past. I think it's a good move as they do most of the initial recruiting -- and likely suit up for practice at times. I think he's tough but also realistic that he's not going to keep guys around paying them $30,000 a year or whatever the number is now.

For most of the guys I think it's just simple. If they want to stay in the profession they have to get their year in and move along. There just isn't enough money to stay there full-time. Joe gives them a good learning year and a good resume bump and it's time to move to the next spot.
                            Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 08-15-2017, 08:35 AM.

Comment

It's been a pretty revolving door since Fite left. I've heard he's pretty tough on the assistants.

That said, it's very hard to make a living as a D2 assistant in basketball. The goal of any of these guys is to get to the next job up the ladder as fast as possible.

He does get on them as much during games as he does the players.

I don't know how closely you pay attention to IUP but Joe operates the program like a D1. He has the biggest game-day staff I've ever seen near the bench in 30-some years of watching D2 basketball. There is literally somebody to do everything. It's almost comical compared to other schools in the PSAC.

Joe also tends to only hire young and up-and-coming assistants -- generally guys who played D1 basketball in the not-so-distant past. I think it's a good move as they do most of the initial recruiting -- and likely suit up for practice at times. I think he's tough but also realistic that he's not going to keep guys around paying them $30,000 a year or whatever the number is now.

For most of the guys I think it's just simple. If they want to stay in the profession they have to get their year in and move along. There just isn't enough money to stay there full-time. Joe gives them a good learning year and a good resume bump and it's time to move to the next spot.
                              Things like this are why Joe wins every year!!!

Comment

That's certainly the rumor for the second exhibition.

Notre Dame, my opinion, has one of the most underrated basketball facilities/atmospheres in the country. The women's program there draws huge crowds, too.
                                The women playing at Notre Dame is no rumor. Take a look at their auction and there is a trip listed for their trip to be bid on. It's transportation, an ND tour, locker room access and honorary coach during the ND game.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X