• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

LOL.

For those who haven't got to see any games yet (0-3 on video feeds) ... Bryce Radford is having a really good start. He's hit 4 treys per in 2 of the 3 games. Very long range shooter. He's officially a freshman but an academic junior so he's very mature and polished for being an R-FR. He's going to have a pretty elaborate scoring resume by the time he leaves town.
    I followed along by listening to Jack on the U92.5 app last night for the game. Really wish there was a feed. Any word on when it'll be coming? Obviously only so much you can take away from listening on the radio, and it's early, but it did seem like they just are a complete group. The size and depth in the front court is something I haven't really seen since I've been watching Joe's teams. I'm not sure he's had a bigger more athletic team up front, combined with elite guard play at this level.

Shawndale Jones has picked off right where he left off from March of 2020 when they won the PSAC. He was a monster those couple playoff games. It's amazing they didn't have any attrition through all of this. My sister's wedding was this past weekend, so I was unable to really follow along with either of the first two games, but felt refreshing to listen last night. It had been 20 months since I had the opportunity to follow along, watch, or listen to an IUP basketball game. Almost two years. That's a long, long time. Really excited for this season.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

There's going to be quite a few of these third-year freshmen in the league this season. It will be interesting to see how many of them hang around after their senior academic year.
    That's true. But, if you play and the school is willing to pick up the tab for grad school ... why not.

IUP has a football player next year who took a redshirt in 2019, Covid 2020 and took a medical redshirt this year. He'll be an academic senior in the Fall and a football freshman. That's crazy.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

LOL.

For those who haven't got to see any games yet (0-3 on video feeds) ... Bryce Radford is having a really good start. He's hit 4 treys per in 2 of the 3 games. Very long range shooter. He's officially a freshman but an academic junior so he's very mature and polished for being an R-FR. He's going to have a pretty elaborate scoring resume by the time he leaves town.
    There's going to be quite a few of these third-year freshmen in the league this season. It will be interesting to see how many of them hang around after their senior academic year.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    The most important news surfacing out of IUP is it sounds like the Hawks avoided a major injury last night. David Morris left the game early in the second half. Tony reported today that it isn't serious. The game was already a blowout when he got hurt so there was no point to risk anything. Sounds like he'll be fine.

He was away from the ball when it happened so I'm not sure if he just got tangled up with the player he was defending or exactly what happened. He was walking fairly normal afterward so hopefully it was just precautionary.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

LOL.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    LOL.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

If that's all true, what you're describing sounds frighteningly like NWMo last year. Several of the strongest guards in D2 (Hudgins and Bernard) and a couple of stretch bigs (including Hawkins, who is now merely averaging a double-double in D1).

You're not doing anything to dissuade me from thinking that WLU's travel coordinator better start booking rooms at the Hilton Garden-Indiana in mid-March. : )

Long way until March. I'm more worried about the West schedule this year. This is the deepest West in a long time. Going to be some wars in Jan/Feb. Gotta stay healthy, too.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied

WL's press is much better than Le Moyne's -- and Le Moyne doesn't have near the quality shooters that WL possesses.

The post player problem IUP causes this year is they have two who basically can play power forward or drain deep shots on you. Demo is essentially a 6'9" guard but also an incredible rebounder. Porterfield is 5-tool. Then, the muscle comes off the bench. It's a problematic blend.

But, the real strength is the three starting guards. Shawndale, Armoni and Morris are pretty elite. They draw so much attention that the post players are having a field day. So far. Early, as you said.
    If that's all true, what you're describing sounds frighteningly like NWMo last year. Several of the strongest guards in D2 (Hudgins and Bernard) and a couple of stretch bigs (including Hawkins, who is now merely averaging a double-double in D1).

You're not doing anything to dissuade me from thinking that WLU's travel coordinator better start booking rooms at the Hilton Garden-Indiana in mid-March. : )

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Thinking about some down-the-road-possibilities, I don't like to hear this. A 4-guard lineup with one SF + Pressing game plan = the same thing WLU would likely try to do if a Regional match-up were to materialize.

It's obviously WAY too early to be thinking about this--LOTS of basketball left to be played. But I remain convinced that the Region goes through the KCAC this year. So anyone with hopes of competing in the Region will need to figure out how to deal with IUP.

Meanwhile, WLU first has to figure out how to win a tough one in Johnstown tonight.

WL's press is much better than Le Moyne's -- and Le Moyne doesn't have near the quality shooters that WL possesses.

The post player problem IUP causes this year is they have two who basically can play power forward or drain deep shots on you. Demo is essentially a 6'9" guard but also an incredible rebounder. Porterfield is 5-tool. Then, the muscle comes off the bench. It's a problematic blend.

But, the real strength is the three starting guards. Shawndale, Armoni and Morris are pretty elite. They draw so much attention that the post players are having a field day. So far. Early, as you said.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied

Le Moyne will win a lot of games this year. So, it will be a quality win down the road. They just got overpowered last night -- right from the start. Playing this Joe team with a 4-guard lineup and 1 SF is recipe for disaster. They stayed in their press most of the night which was useless.
    Thinking about some down-the-road-possibilities, I don't like to hear this. A 4-guard lineup with one SF + Pressing game plan = the same thing WLU would likely try to do if a Regional match-up were to materialize.

It's obviously WAY too early to be thinking about this--LOTS of basketball left to be played. But I remain convinced that the Region goes through the KCAC this year. So anyone with hopes of competing in the Region will need to figure out how to deal with IUP.

Meanwhile, WLU first has to figure out how to win a tough one in Johnstown tonight.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Apparently LeMoyne was a bit weaker this year than expected

Le Moyne will win a lot of games this year. So, it will be a quality win down the road. They just got overpowered last night -- right from the start. Playing this Joe team with a 4-guard lineup and 1 SF is recipe for disaster. They stayed in their press most of the night which was useless.

Shawndale - 24 pts, 7 assists, 4 steals

Armoni - 17 pts, 10 assists, 7 rebounds

Porterfield - 19 pts, 5 rebounds, 2 blocks

Morris - 16 pts, 2 steals

Demo - 11 pts, 9 rebounds, 2 steals

Radford - 12 pts (4 treys)

IUP shot 64% from the field

Morris and Demo had the best alleyoop fast break I think I've ever seen at IUP. It was nuts.

Gate was on the small side again at 1,487. But, a lot of students came for those tee-shirts so it was at least a lively 1,487.

Odd stat: IUP was up 55-33 at halftime and Armoni didn't score in the first half. He scored all 17 of his points after halftime.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied
    IUP 106
    Le Moyne 67

Final
    Apparently LeMoyne was a bit weaker this year than expected

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    IUP 106
    Le Moyne 67

Final

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    No reason to have Armoni in the game late. The triple double means nothing if he gets hurt!

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X