• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Re: Iup basketball

http://www.gannonsports.com/news/201...ing-class.aspx

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Anybody thinking about making the trip to Evansville?

That's a great two days of basketball ... four games per day.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

St. Francis went as far as including Vaughns in its recruit press release so he was definitely signed there coming out of National LOI Day. The word I've heard around town is half the team didn't even know about it until he showed up at a practice. Shortly after, Pittsburgh Basketball Report announced a late signing for St. Francis. Who knows what happened. I saw him down at the gym one night. I can tell you he's not a 'freshman' ... he's a house. I'd put him around 6'5" to 6'6", 220 lbs. Picture a much more athletic version of Daddy Ugbede. However it happened, Joe may have stole a big one there.

Joe mentioned Vaughns would play power forward with Cobo at small forward. Willem obviously replaces Cottrell. I guess you could make a case that Danielak can really play every post position in a hybrid role.

There's your four post players to go along with the four guards -- Dante, Glover, Malik and Hutton.

Anthony White (redshirt used already), Todd Fetsko (redshirt used already), Armoni Foster and Keyes round out the roster.

That's a tough call on Keyes. He can play and he's a tough guy ... gritty. But, ... that's why Joe makes the coin. He gets to make those decisions.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

Yeah I guess it would depend a lot on just how aware Keyes was of the possibility. Vaughns kinda showed up on the roster out of nowhere. Was he a very late signing or did everybody involved just do a really good job of keeping it under wraps? If it's the former, that would be a tough pill to swallow for an upperclassman.

So if it all plays out this way I guess Danielak is back to the backup center role.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Finally got to read the article ... They must be pretty big on Jalen Vaughns.

Joe knows best, obviously. If Keyes would only get 10-12 minutes a game and he's willing to red-shirt ... sounds like the best path long term.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

He (Keyes) had so many offers ... I hope if that is the case he stays positive. Sitting as a freshman is one thing ... Sitting out as a junior would really be tough.

If anything he gives a real nice insurance policy if somebody would get injured.

That 2015 team ... still bothers me. That's the ultimate 20-20 look back.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

Joe is a pretty strict adherer to the 8 man rotation and in the article he even makes mention of the "eight guys who will play" so I'd say it's likely Keyes is the odd man out. Who among us thought Danielak was going to sit a year when that signing became known?

That schedule is just....wow. Makes the one they played Norfleet's senior year look like a cakewalk.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

That's surprising about Keyes. I'll be shocked if it happens.

When you dive in to that non-conference schedule ... it's for real.

Findlay: 25-7 last year and whole core returns

Ferris: 28-5 last year and traditional power

Urbana: blah

VA State: 22-6 last year ... ultra athletic ... certainly an upgrade over our typical tournament invitees

(at) Bowie: Defending CIAA champion ... always a tough game

The Sciences: cupcake

Fairmont State: Played in NC last year ... new coach and lost a lot of studs ... has a lot returning. Wherever the game actually is ... won't be easy.

Crossover:

(at) West Chester: Damien Blair has won last two versus Joe
    ESU: Always tough
    Bloom: TBA ... Christian Mortellite makes it rain when he plays IUP
    Lock Haven: Joe says they have best player in the PSAC
    (at) Cheyney:
    (at) Mansfield: Played IUP tough last year for 35 minutes

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

Preview of the finalized roster in the Gazette today. Dom Keyes is a redshirt candidate, the non con schedule is brutal which we knew already and some other pretty interesting nuggets. Street & Smith's has them pegged at #3 in their preseason poll. Joe's not hiding the fact that he expects this team to be very good. Should be exciting. The Small College Classic will be here before we know it.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Originally posted by bball15 View Post
    It is called Bridgewater college. http://www.bridgewatereagles.com/sports/wbkb/index
    Thanks for the info. Certainly I recognize Brittany Batts of Gannon WBB fame.

I wonder how many former IUP gals players are currently in coaching? I would have to think on that one.

-

Leave a comment:

• bball15
    replied

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    Do you remember the name of the school she is coaching at? I'm drawing a blank on it----was it something like Falling Water?? But I don't think that is a school.
    It is called Bridgewater college. http://www.bridgewatereagles.com/sports/wbkb/index

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Originally posted by bball15 View Post
    That is great to have her back in the game! She did attend that coaching convention her senior year at the D1 final four. I remember watching her play and was always impressed with her PG position. I read in an article on the colleges website that she is still currently employed with that insurance company plus this college coaching gig. Good for her.
    Do you remember the name of the school she is coaching at? I'm drawing a blank on it----was it something like Falling Water?? But I don't think that is a school.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Both the IUP and Fairmont State web sites are now showing the game in Indiana.

Leave a comment:

• bball15
    replied

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
    It was in this afternoon's local edition that former IUP WBB player Marita Mathe has been named as a college assistant coach. And just because I can't recall the name of the school does not mean that I am lying. I believe it is in Virginia. I thought she had a fat job with some insurance company or something. Best of luck to her and great to hear that she is getting back in the game.

-
    That is great to have her back in the game! She did attend that coaching convention her senior year at the D1 final four. I remember watching her play and was always impressed with her PG position. I read in an article on the colleges website that she is still currently employed with that insurance company plus this college coaching gig. Good for her.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Along that front the women's roster posted.

Tom's got a loaded hand ... it may be a roster good enough to win the last game of the season.
    Looks like pretty much the same rooster as last season with the addition of Oduho. I believe that Courtney Storm is no longer on the rooster.

It would be really cool if the IUP gals could host the PSAC and Atlantic Region come next March at the KCAC. That would be very exciting for the community.

-

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X