Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPJ has posted its men's roster. No real surprises as just about the whole team is back.

They are going to be a real headache to play this season. Senior guard Josh Wise returns and should make a legit case for West Player of the Year. Guard Drew Magestro returns after missing last season with a knee injury. He's a huge addition and will take a lot of heat off of Wise.

At point guard Fred Mulbah and Joe Batt are both a year older and more seasoned. Add to it a slew of big guys headlined by John Paul Kromka and Caiden Landis.

Bob Rukavina has had many good teams up there in Johnstown. I don't recall one ever looking this good in the preseason.

The last date of the regular season ... UPJ at IUP. That one could have real high stakes.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      The last date of the regular season ... UPJ at IUP. That one could have real high stakes.
      Could be, but there are so many darn conference games now that the odds are the teams will be pretty spread out and the last game will mean very little in the conference standings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Golden89 View Post

Could be, but there are so many darn conference games now that the odds are the teams will be pretty spread out and the last game will mean very little in the conference standings.
        Other than seeding.

Comment

• Originally posted by Golden89 View Post

Who knows, I guess.

The West is going to be pretty deep this year. From my own research, I'd project something like this:

1. IUP - This may be Joe's deepest team in his tenure in Indiana.

2. UPJ - Great combination of smart, seasoned players. They play old school ... annoying to play against.

3. California - Vulcans must stay healthy. They aren't overly deep beyond 1-7. If they do they will win many games this season. Starting Five is very strong. Well-coached.

This is where it gets tricky.

4/5. Slippery Rock and Mercyhurst - Both lost a ton of players. But, both have a history of rebuilding quick. You want the Lakers early. By January the team starts mastering that Triangle and Two.

6/7. Gannon and Edinboro - Both have a lot of unknowns. Edinboro will score a lot of points this year. They just play zero defense.

8/9. Seton Hill and Clarion - The Griffins are in complete rebuild. The same is likely the case in Clarion.

Comment

• UPJ roster is really solid, with good depth. Rukavina deserves a 'ship after alot of years grinding on the sidelines. He will need some help and luck along the way but I hope he gets one this year or next. IUP still probably wins the West, but gotta root for UPJ.

Gannon should be interesting to watch this year. A totally new philosophy with many of the same players returning and a head coach with no college head coaching experience. Let's see if the angry AD got it right. I am guessing there will be less emphasis on defense.

Seton Hill brings in no JUCOs or transfers and 9 frosh despite a weak overall returning group. Really? Good luck with that philosophy in the PSAC. For this year, guard Davis and noone else. Saunders is recruiting like he is a D3 (where Seton Hill is headed) or like he is at the Navy. It's also a risky long term strategy to divide up limited scholarship money on 9 frosh. No way even half of them can play in the PSAC and no way all 9 frosh will stay all 4 years. When half of them leave, are you going to repeat the cycle with 4-5 new frosh?

Assuming Clarion can field a team, really looking forward to the Clarion v Seton Hill game. Clarion brought in a very average prep school guard and a frosh Big, that's all I know of.

Comment

• Originally posted by PSACwatcher View Post
              UPJ roster is really solid, with good depth. Rukavina deserves a 'ship after alot of years grinding on the sidelines. He will need some help and luck along the way but I hope he gets one this year or next. IUP still probably wins the West, but gotta root for UPJ.

Gannon should be interesting to watch this year. A totally new philosophy with many of the same players returning and a head coach with no college head coaching experience. Let's see if the angry AD got it right. I am guessing there will be less emphasis on defense.

Seton Hill brings in no JUCOs or transfers and 9 frosh despite a weak overall returning group. Really? Good luck with that philosophy in the PSAC. For this year, guard Davis and noone else. Saunders is recruiting like he is a D3 (where Seton Hill is headed) or like he is at the Navy. It's also a risky long term strategy to divide up limited scholarship money on 9 frosh. No way even half of them can play in the PSAC and no way all 9 frosh will stay all 4 years. When half of them leave, are you going to repeat the cycle with 4-5 new frosh?

Assuming Clarion can field a team, really looking forward to the Clarion v Seton Hill game. Clarion brought in a very average prep school guard and a frosh Big, that's all I know of.
              I've seen UPJ about 5-6 times a year the past how many years. They always play in our tournaments plus against IUP twice in the regular season and then usually here in the PSACs.

Bob coaches a great offense. It's real, old-school ... and very effective. Tons of passing. Back-doors, pick-n-rolls, etc.

My questions for them this year:

* Will the D catch up?
              * Will they handle being favored most games as opposed to that famous UPJ underdog role?
              * Josh Wise can be the best in the league any given game. He can also throw major temper tantrums, pout and vanish. The IUP crowd completley discombobulated him last year.
              * Is there a clear-cut PG?
              * They have one win over IUP since joining the league and IUP played with half a lineup that night. Can they slay the dragon?

Comment

• Rock men's roster is posted.

That seems to leave Edinboro as the last to show its hand.

Comment

• Clarion and Edinboro have finally posted their men's rosters.

Of note:

* Mason Mraz has returned to Clarion. He was originally in the transfer portal. That's a big gain for the Golden Eagles. Mraz sat out last season due to an injury. He had a strong (true) freshmen campaign two years ago. The Golden Eagles will be exceptionally young this season. They also added a grad transfer from St. Bonaventure, although it seems he was a down-the-liner for the Bonnies. Overall, Clarion, on paper, should be improved from last season.

* The Trey Staunch era at Edinboro is on for another year. He's on the roster. Most importantly for the Scots, Anthony Coleman is back and healthy.

Comment

• Edinoro also brought in the great Jack Gallagher...

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                      Edinoro also brought in the great Jack Gallagher...
                      What's his story? I did see the kid from Indiana High is no longer on the roster.

Comment

What's his story? I did see the kid from Indiana High is no longer on the roster.
                        He's very close with James Conner. His dad is a former Erie sportscaster turned sports photographer. He's good - will probably be another Jaryn Simpson. Edinboro still needs a big - they were able to fight for top of the West with a good big man (MacLemore, Tielsch, Donaldson, etc.).

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

He's very close with James Conner. His dad is a former Erie sportscaster turned sports photographer. He's good - will probably be another Jaryn Simpson. Edinboro still needs a big - they were able to fight for top of the West with a good big man (MacLemore, Tielsch, Donaldson, etc.).
                          Cleary has really struggled in the post player department. He's found lots of guards. Few bigs minus converted football linemen.

Two years ago we saw Staunch can be really effective as a garbage man for a strong guard group. Last year, with less guards as threats and a bigger role, he was exposed. It doesn't appear they got the big fella much help down there for this year. But, they should be much better this season if healthy.

Comment

Cleary has really struggled in the post player department. He's found lots of guards. Few bigs minus converted football linemen.

Two years ago we saw Staunch can be really effective as a garbage man for a strong guard group. Last year, with less guards as threats and a bigger role, he was exposed. It doesn't appear they got the big fella much help down there for this year. But, they should be much better this season if healthy.
                            I wouldn't say development as much as I'd say struggled landing guys. Most of that is because he's coaching with the lowest scholarship amount in the west - a half scholarship equivalency lower than Clarion. Good bigs usually take some dollars he doesn't have to throw around.

Benhart (Indiana HS kid) is playing at DIII Grinnell in Iowa.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I wouldn't say development as much as I'd say struggled landing guys. Most of that is because he's coaching with the lowest scholarship amount in the west - a half scholarship equivalency lower than Clarion. Good bigs usually take some dollars he doesn't have to throw around.

Benhart (Indiana HS kid) is playing at DIII Grinnell in Iowa.
                              True. BUT a big part of his job is raising money.

Benhart was a reach at D2. I thought he'd end up as one of Joe's walk-ons. His dad teaches at IUP.

Comment

True. BUT a big part of his job is raising money.

Benhart was a reach at D2. I thought he'd end up as one of Joe's walk-ons. His dad teaches at IUP.
                                He was probably still a PASSHE waiver. I believe APSCUF dependents can go to any system school.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X