X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: PSAC WEST

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    and only 4 scholarships.
    Well, most of KR's tenure at SRU he only had between 3 and 4 rides -- and he put some awfully competitive teams on the floor. I think he was a master at the 'work around' and found other ways to get those guys money. That's just talking out loud ... no clue if he even applied.

Here's a mind bomb: Either JR or KR as head coach and the other as assistant. You'd have game officials on suicide watch by the intermission.

Comment

Meadville's LaShawn Lindsey has signed with SRU.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Meadville's LaShawn Lindsey has signed with SRU.
        He's a headache!

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
          He's a headache!
          That's good. He'll fit right in.

Comment

Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
            Owen Chambers, from Coudersport, is going to Mercyhurst. He's the all-time leading scorer in District 9 at over 2,200 points. He's 6-2 and rail thin. But I've seen and covered a handful of his games...he's a gamer and a deadly shot. I think he'll get minutes in their 11-man rotation.
            This kid can score a lot of points in a hurry. I will be curious how he will do defensively. Going to have to hit the weight room and wonder if a redshirt year is in his future As a PIAA district 9 fan we will be rooting for him for sure. And I am sure there are a lot of north central PA HS coaches glad to see him graduate!!

So as a newbie here and the last thing I needed was another site to follow, but oh well..... my question is this.... I see a lot of not really bashing but suggestion that Mercyhurst doesn't play the most exciting of basketball. And that certainly may be the case, but looking at the scores from their games the last two seasons their offensive average isn't horrible. Again, I am new not only to this site but to PSAC basketball as well so I really don't have a clue. I just find it odd that the Chambers kid would end up at a slow it down type system as he always seemed to be a score and score a lot kind of player. I guess slow it down systems still need shooters!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by bvillejoe View Post
              This kid can score a lot of points in a hurry. I will be curious how he will do defensively. Going to have to hit the weight room and wonder if a redshirt year is in his future As a PIAA district 9 fan we will be rooting for him for sure. And I am sure there are a lot of north central PA HS coaches glad to see him graduate!!

So as a newbie here and the last thing I needed was another site to follow, but oh well..... my question is this.... I see a lot of not really bashing but suggestion that Mercyhurst doesn't play the most exciting of basketball. And that certainly may be the case, but looking at the scores from their games the last two seasons their offensive average isn't horrible. Again, I am new not only to this site but to PSAC basketball as well so I really don't have a clue. I just find it odd that the Chambers kid would end up at a slow it down type system as he always seemed to be a score and score a lot kind of player. I guess slow it down systems still need shooters!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bvillejoe View Post

Mercyhurst is seen as boring -- typically by the teams who get made to look like pretenders the night prior.

Boring. Exciting. Dull. Whatever. Who cares.

Manchal's team came in to Indiana this March and made then 30-2 IUP and West Liberty look like major pretenders. IUP looked like they'd never seen a zone before (have they?) and West Liberty was just blasted on the boards.

The thing is with Mercyhurst, though, is that won't happen every year. Gary has to build up to that point -- or, like last year, hit the lottery with his one-year transfers (Patrick Smith and Jason Massey).

They typically go back to 'above average' after a big season. Never easy to play but they seem to only get that one great team every 3-4 years.

This upcoming season has the look of a total rebuild. Not only are Smith, Massey and several others gone, but returning (star to be) PG Derrick Ellis transferred out (likely not wanting to take part in the rebuild).

So, 'boring' is a tough word to use. The last month of this past season, ... I may use the word 'suffocating' or 'dominant' instead.

The other issue they have with being consistently very good is it's hard to find the right players to buy in to that system -- especially with Manchal more-recently starting to lean on transfers. That defensive system is hard to learn -- especially for one-year guys. He caught lightning in a bottle last season with Smith and Massey.

I'd peg them to finish this upcoming season somewhere in the 17-13 range. They'll pull a big upset along the way because there are some teams (not to mention any names) that look like deer in the headlights against that zone.

Comment

Mercyhurst is seen as boring -- typically by the teams who get made to look like pretenders the night prior.

Manchal's team came in to Indiana this March and made then 30-2 IUP and West Liberty look like major pretenders. IUP looked like they'd never seen a zone before (have they?) and West Liberty was just blasted on the boards.

The thing is with Mercyhurst, though, is that won't happen every year. Gary has to build up to that point -- or, like last year, hit the lottery with his one-year transfers (Patrick Smith and Jason Massey).

They typically go back to 'above average' after a big season. Never easy to play but they seem to only get that one great team every 3-4 years.

This upcoming season has the look of a total rebuild. Not only are Smith, Massey and several others gone, but returning (star to be) PG Derrick Ellis transferred out (likely not wanting to take part in the rebuild).

So, 'boring' is a tough word to use. The last month of this past season, ... I may use the word 'suffocating' or 'dominant' instead.

The other issue they have with being consistently very good is it's hard to find the right players to buy in to that system -- especially with Manchal more-recently starting to lean on transfers. That defensive system is hard to learn -- especially for one-year guys. He caught lightning in a bottle last season with Smith and Massey.

I'd peg them to finish this upcoming season somewhere in the 17-13 range. They'll pull a big upset along the way because there are some teams (not to mention any names) that look like deer in the headlights against that zone.

LOL

Comment

This might be off base, but I've always seen those types of teams that play those styles as a cop out more than anything else. To them, it's probably easier to slow teams down, frustrate them, etc., then it is to run up and down the court, score, shoot threes, play basketball with a flow, etc. It's tough to totally say that about Mercyhurst though, given that they are deeper than IUP is each and every year (that's a different discussion though).

Point being, if Mercyhurst played attempted to play more of an MEC game (with the proper personnel obviously), would they be any better suited? In my opinion, their gimmick defense and style of play keeps them in all games that they play regardless of the opponent's brand of basketball. To me, it's a cheap way to hang around every night. But I'm just a message board poster. Gary took his team to Evansville.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                      This might be off base, but I've always seen those types of teams that play those styles as a cop out more than anything else. To them, it's probably easier to slow teams down, frustrate them, etc., then it is to run up and down the court, score, shoot threes, play basketball with a flow, etc. It's tough to totally say that about Mercyhurst though, given that they are deeper than IUP is each and every year (that's a different discussion though).

Point being, if Mercyhurst played attempted to play more of an MEC game (with the proper personnel obviously), would they be any better suited? In my opinion, their gimmick defense and style of play keeps them in all games that they play regardless of the opponent's brand of basketball. To me, it's a cheap way to hang around every night. But I'm just a message board poster. Gary took his team to Evansville.

I can see that argument in the case of what Mercyhurst did to West Liberty in this year's Regional. When a team runs in to that defense -- hitting on all cylinders -- and hasn't seen anything near resembling it all year -- that can be quite a shock factor to overcome. Add to it the EXTREMELY slow offensive style the Lakers run (shot clock to near zero every possession) ... and it can really frustrate a run-n-gun team. Recall they also won at Wheeling Jesuit in the Regional several years back when WJ was the host seed. Same story. They suffocated them.

Now, in IUP's case this year, it was just baffling. IUP played Mercyhurst four times and scored less against them as the season went along. Part of that was because Mercyhurst was still vulnerable early in the season. But, it's hard to fathom now that IUP scored 50-some on them IN THE SECOND HALF of the first meeting in Erie.

Let's not forget that literally a week prior IUP blew Mercyhurst out in the PSAC Championship game. The first Mercyhurt win here this year never should have happened. That was the famous no timeout call which resulted in a blown defense and wide-open Pratapas three as the clock expired. But, make no mistake, when it mattered the most in the Regional, Mercyhurst blew IUP out -- regardless of that final 10-point margin.

I don't quite agree with the notion it's a 'junk' or 'gimmick' defense. It's just not the norm. When you have the right personnel it's very effective. But, it's different. Modern fans don't want defense and low-scoring games. Just ask John Reilly.

Comment

WLU and Hurst seem like the opposite side to the same coin...One focuses it's efforts (and recruting) on offense and full game pressure and the other focuses on defense with a slow down (but efficient) offense. Both teams are at the outside edge of there particular "style." I don't think it is particularly hard to find players that play either style but what is hard is finding a coach (and AD and alumni) that is willing to forgo "traditional" (and higher rated) players in favor of players who fit the style the coach is going to run. Even at the DII level, it is hard to find an AD and alumni base that is willing to accept and give a new HC full freedom to recruit teams made up of players almost exclusively at each end of the spectrum.

It would never happen for SOOOO many reasons, but it would be neat for Hurst and WLU to rent an obscure little HS gym in the middle of no where over the summer for a week and go at each other every day for 8 hours with no crowds...adjustment, counter adjustment, counter counter adjustment. Both teams would come out better for it...as they say, steel sharpens steel!!!
                        Last edited by boatcapt; 06-18-2019, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                          WLU and Hurst seem like the opposite side to the same coin...One focuses it's efforts (and recruting) on offense and full game pressure and the other focuses on defense with a slow down (but efficient) offense. Both teams are at the outside edge of there particular "style." I don't think it is particularly hard to find players that play either style but what is hard is finding a coach (and AD and alumni) that is willing to forgo "traditional" (and higher rated) players in favor of players who fit the style the coach is going to run. Even at the DII level, it is hard to find an AD and alumni base that is willing to accept and give a new HC full freedom to recruit teams made up of players almost exclusively at each end of the spectrum.
                          I think DANNY SANCOMB is going to put your theory to the test this coming year. His recruits are almost entirely of a body type and skill set that seems to say MEC basketball. Long, fast good ball handlers with no one taller than 6'7-8". With a solid core of young veterans, he will have to find a way to mix in some recruits to form what I hope will be an exciting and relevant team. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                            I think DANNY SANCOMB is going to put your theory to the test this coming year. His recruits are almost entirely of a body type and skill set that seems to say MEC basketball. Long, fast good ball handlers with no one taller than 6'7-8". With a solid core of young veterans, he will have to find a way to mix in some recruits to form what I hope will be an exciting and relevant team. Time will tell.
                            We'll see...In the past Sancomb has been a pretty traditional coach from a team building stand point. Within that traditional mushy middle there is a great degree of variation were a coach can chose to be and obviously if you get enough stars and support players, it can produce wins.

Sancomb having a 500 team this coming season should be considered a BIG win for the Cal faithful.

Comment

One thing that I really like about college basketball is that there are so many different ways to approach the game and be successful. To me, "boring" would be every single team playing the same way. The fact that you can have a Mercyhurst team play shutdown defense and win the region one year, and a West Liberty team that plays up-tempo and emphasizes the three-pointer win another year is what I love about the game and keeps me coming back (even when Gannon is terrible). The top teams in the PSAC East generally have a different style than the PSAC West, so you have to be able to match up against the styles to win the league as IUP showed.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                                We'll see...In the past Sancomb has been a pretty traditional coach from a team building stand point. Within that traditional mushy middle there is a great degree of variation were a coach can chose to be and obviously if you get enough stars and support players, it can produce wins.

Sancomb having a 500 team this coming season should be considered a BIG win for the Cal faithful.
                                .500 with 1-2 upsets mixed in would be nice !

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X