Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: PSAC WEST

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
    Wow ... Mercy has only 16 points at the half.

Comment

Seton Hill PG Trevor Lecuona has announced he is leaving the program. I believe he has one year of eligibility remaining.

For all but 8 teams in the Atlantic ... transfer season has arrived. Certainly more to follow ...

Comment

• Comment

I'd take McKinney in a second.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            I'd take McKinney in a second.
            But wouldn't that screw up your whole naming system if you had two guys named Malik? ; )

Comment

Incoming freshman center Zachary Sabol (6'8", 235 lbs) has committed to East Stroudsburg. It appears it came down to Gannon and ESU.

Combined with Ryan Smith ... lot of size there for the next several years.

Comment

Two job openings in the same off-season -- fairly rare in the West.

Any rumors about either the Gannon or Clarion jobs?

You'd surely think any good AD already had some candidates in mind prior to firing the coaches.

John Reilly to Clarion is an obvious thought. If he's interested it would be a no-brainer for Clarion.

Don't rule out the IUP24 campain of #FreeKevinReynolds.

Needless to say the calendar isn't doing either program any favors right now. Clarion just had one of its best players enter the transfer portal. Just a guess but we'll see some Gannon players leaving in the coming days.

Comment

Any word on Clarion ?

Comment

Idk if Reilly would be a good fit at Clarion. He's a great coach but his style is a little outdated. No kid wants to play slow paced basketball especially today. Also, I think that it would be a difficult gig for him considering the lack of scholarships. Whoever gets the Clarion job has to be a master at finding talent for less and being able to push players past what their skill sets already are.

Comment

Originally posted by PSACBBALL16 View Post
                      Idk if Reilly would be a good fit at Clarion. He's a great coach but his style is a little outdated. No kid wants to play slow paced basketball especially today. Also, I think that it would be a difficult gig for him considering the lack of scholarships. Whoever gets the Clarion job has to be a master at finding talent for less and being able to push players past what their skill sets already are.
                      Definitely some valid points there. Personally, I see it kind of the other way.

I see Reilly's system working best in such an environment. I say that because there will be zero pressure to win there in the first couple years. He'll get the time to slowly find the right fits. The scholarship money is a problem but you can get creative there -- academic money, etc.

Clarion also isn't going to attract star players. Reilly's system doesn't need 'star' players to function properly. Anything but, actually. Give him a roster full of kids who got overlooked and have a chip on their shoulders. That's when that system can thrive -- and his teams can get real dangerous.

Is JR 'outdated' ... perhaps a little. But, Clarion 2019 is similar to Clarion 1958. So, it may not matter. As far as pushing players past their skill set and getting them to work harder than they thought possible ... that's JR.

Clarion has to get creative to get back to winning. Reilly, in today's basketball world, runs a niche system. In the movie MoneyBall, Billy Beane said if "we play like the Yankees in here (front office) we'll lose to the Yankees on the field." Meaning, of course, Clarion can't go head to head with the fully-funded IUP's of the world. They'll lose every time. They have to find ways to even the odds. One such way is building a nasty zone defense ... aka IUP kryptonite.

Comment

Its not like there is an expectation to fundraise at either place

Comment

Don't rule out the forgotten man, either.

#freekevinreynolds

He's the master of putting teams together out of nothing.

Comment

I can't see a school in the State system hiring Kevin Reynolds given his history at SRU.

Alot will depend on how much money Clarion is willing to pony up. Guys like John Reilly or even a now available Dante Calabria, who was recently fired as Larry Brown's assistant for an Italian pro team but has past experience as head coach at D2 Keiser (Fla.), are going to require a salary in the 90-100k range. If Clarion is going to pay in the range of 55-60k like it paid to Marcess Williams, then a young hungry D2 assistant will get the job and that would probably not be a bad thing to build long term.

As for Gannon, who knows what's going on there. Anything could happen.

Comment

Kevin Reynolds did turn the SRU program around. There's no denying that. Whatever he did there must've been serious. It's not hard to recruit if your coach really cares about it. Players will come to Clarion with the right coach at the helm. They can't miss on this one this time lol.

Comment

Kevin Reynolds did turn the SRU program around. There's no denying that. Whatever he did there must've been serious. It's not hard to recruit if your coach really cares about it. Players will come to Clarion with the right coach at the helm. They can't miss on this one this time lol.
                                You sure?

He got a 'full' buyout of his contract ... a golden, three-year parachute. It couldn't have been too serious. If they had anything to pin on him they would have.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X