X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Agree with you on Slip. They could win the conference and they can also finish as an also-ran. Grady has his work cut out for him.

They are very interesting. On paper, they look like a very good team. However, they have some 'personalities' to manage before they cut down any nets.

I do like what Grady did this off-season. He brought in his two potential stars in Maceo Auston and Ike Herster, but he also signed several quality complimentary pieces. Luke Howes (Walsh) is a very good PG. Ja'Mier Fletcher (Wagner) is a huge (6'7", 245 lb) physical presence to go alongside Lashon Lindsey (who is one of the more underrated forwards in the league).

Austin has enormous upside at the D2 level. Herster is very dynamic, but is known to have some issues on the court. Both are 6'5" and strong slashers/shooters.

They also return Jomo Goings, who has the potential to be an elite shut-down guard. He is an annoyance for offensive players. Nik Cazacu and Bobby Clifford have both been there forever and are quality depth guys. Off the bench they have the massive Enire Bowens (6'10", 250 lbs.), along with a cast of guards.

I have no doubt there will be nights this team looks incredible. I'd also be willing to bet there will be nights the wheels fall off the wagon. They can't all be stars. Grady's biggest challenge this year is going to be keeping things calm. But, unlike many transfer-heavy teams, they do have a good mix of parts -- skill, massive size, shooters/slashers, defenders, PG, etc.

They will be a handful to play.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Pitt-Johnstown plays at Pitt tonight (exhibition).

Mercyhurst opens its season this weekend in Lakeland, FL.

The Lakers play Central Oklahoma on Saturday and Colorado School of Mines on Sunday.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPHawks24 View Post

Hard to say... same thing happened after their Elite Eight season- added Bradley, Cannady and Gross and had a really strong season. None of who were well known recruits, but ended up being very strong players. They brought in a couple D1 transfers that year, but neither played because of injury if I recall correctly. Finding a suitable replacement for Bradley would be my question mark.

Personally, I think IUP will be fine if the Akron PG is good. They have Ethan and then have some excellent defensive players around him. Dillard is a great defender and I think Damir Brooks is going to have a breakout season. Joe does an excellent job coaching them up on defense too, so that's worth something.

Cal is going to score like crazy, but they will be susceptible defensively around the rim, unless they've brought in an immediate impact defensive big. If they can get the tempo increased, it might not be as much of an issue. A ton of scorers- Palek, McClurg, Whitehead, Hall, Collins, Polak. That's six guys that can get you 20+ any night.

Slippery Rock has a great roster. Will they figure out how to play together? My gut says yes, but they need to show they can make the whole equivalent to the sum of the parts. Howes had a solid year at Walsh before getting hurt I'm assuming last year and not playing. He could be an X-factor.

Gannon has an interesting roster. Little meat inside, but they should make shots. If the PG transfer from Chestnut Hill is good, that could make a big difference. The Indiana State transfer looks legit.
    Agree with you on Slip. They could win the conference and they can also finish as an also-ran. Grady has his work cut out for him.

Leave a comment:

• IUPHawks24
    replied
    Originally posted by bballfan03 View Post

I think Hurst will be in trouble... looking at their roster - they didn't really bring in any "big guns"... a lot of freshmen and bench players from last year returning.
    Hard to say... same thing happened after their Elite Eight season- added Bradley, Cannady and Gross and had a really strong season. None of who were well known recruits, but ended up being very strong players. They brought in a couple D1 transfers that year, but neither played because of injury if I recall correctly. Finding a suitable replacement for Bradley would be my question mark.

Personally, I think IUP will be fine if the Akron PG is good. They have Ethan and then have some excellent defensive players around him. Dillard is a great defender and I think Damir Brooks is going to have a breakout season. Joe does an excellent job coaching them up on defense too, so that's worth something.

Cal is going to score like crazy, but they will be susceptible defensively around the rim, unless they've brought in an immediate impact defensive big. If they can get the tempo increased, it might not be as much of an issue. A ton of scorers- Palek, McClurg, Whitehead, Hall, Collins, Polak. That's six guys that can get you 20+ any night.

Slippery Rock has a great roster. Will they figure out how to play together? My gut says yes, but they need to show they can make the whole equivalent to the sum of the parts. Howes had a solid year at Walsh before getting hurt I'm assuming last year and not playing. He could be an X-factor.

Gannon has an interesting roster. Little meat inside, but they should make shots. If the PG transfer from Chestnut Hill is good, that could make a big difference. The Indiana State transfer looks legit.

Leave a comment:

• bballfan03
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Joe even alluded that Cal is the favorite. I think many think Danny is a jackass and didn't vote for him. I don't think he's made many friends in the coaching ranks.

Joe has new guys all over and Mercyhurst is exceptionally young. Cal was the clear-cut choice.
    With some players back from last year and some transfers - I think IUP should be the "preseason" favorite... can't knock them off until they do it themselves.

Leave a comment:

• bballfan03
    replied
    I thought Ian Grady had the most interesting interview today. He said they have 10 guys back and added 4 impact transfers.

Obviously only 5 play at a time, and, well, we know a couple of their players can tend to pout when things go bad or they have to sit.

That may be a popcorn-worthy team by Christmas.

Manchel was pretty entertaining. He's either being coy or he thinks they could be in trouble.

Joe and Danny pretty much did the normal coach speak.

Danny is so soft-spoken and seems so shy in interviews. Little different on the court.
    I think Hurst will be in trouble... looking at their roster - they didn't really bring in any "big guns"... a lot of freshmen and bench players from last year returning.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

Joe even alluded that Cal is the favorite. I think many think Danny is a jackass and didn't vote for him. I don't think he's made many friends in the coaching ranks.

Joe has new guys all over and Mercyhurst is exceptionally young. Cal was the clear-cut choice.
    Coaches' polls are always interesting and often do give you some indication of how a coach is viewed by his fellow division members. That's especially true in the PSAC with its large number of veteran coaches. I think part of the charm of the league and what makes it competitive is watching these coaches go at each other year after year to see who is the top dog in a given season. Joe has definitely had the best of it recently, but IUP does look a little vulnerable this year for the first time in a while.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Were you surprised that IUP got the first-place vote? Obviously, there is still a lot of residual respect for that program.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    I thought Ian Grady had the most interesting interview today. He said they have 10 guys back and added 4 impact transfers.

Obviously only 5 play at a time, and, well, we know a couple of their players can tend to pout when things go bad or they have to sit.

Manchel was pretty entertaining. He's either being coy or he thinks they could be in trouble.

Danny is so soft-spoken and seems so shy in interviews. Little different on the court.
    Were you surprised that IUP got the first-place vote? Obviously, there is still a lot of residual respect for that program.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    PSAC Men's Preseason Coaches' Poll

1. IUP (5)
    2. California (4)
    3. Mercyhurst
    4. Slippery Rock
    5. Pitt-Johnstown
    6. Seton Hill
    7. Gannon
    8. Clarion
    9. Edinboro

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    What ever came of the Jefferson lawsuit?

In message board world it seems like a long time ago, but in legal time it's still pretty fresh.

I haven't heard anything further on it. We may never unless somebody does the research. I'm sure Gannon won't want it publicized. The KJ Era was such a disaster that they'll just want that slate cleaned.

My hunch all along was they'll just come to a settlement and it will go away.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    What ever came of the Jefferson lawsuit?

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

Battle for second in my opinion. Hope I'm wrong. It will be an interesting season. I think 2 thru 6 will be strong but Cal is just a level above them this year.
    Based on how Cal looked last year and with their additions, you're probably right. That said, we all know how an injury here or there or just a mysterious lack of team chemistry can change a season. I think a healthy Porterfield would be hard to match up with against you guys, and I've never known IUP to lack talent. I think the East if something of a mystery this year. I'll be interested in seeing what the coaches' poll says. Chris Fite has made a couple of late roster additions to simply get more size on the team. Ship could potentially be a good-shooting team, but with their overall size they'd better be. I imagine East Stroud will be deep as usual, but they have a lot of new faces. Lakeem McAliley and Justin Paz seem to be their chief returners. West Chester lost some guys, but should have a strong backcourt with guards such as Robert Smith and the addition of Mekhi Allen from Clarion. There are very few familiar names on the Millersville roster. They seem to have kids from all over the place. Shepherd could be a sleeper. They don't have much height, but have some hard-nosed forwards and Daniel McClain-Corley was probably one of the two or three most talented guards Ship faced last season.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Looks as if it might be the most competitive year in the West in a while.
    Battle for second in my opinion. Hope I'm wrong. It will be an interesting season. I think 2 thru 6 will be strong but Cal is just a level above them this year.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X