Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: OT: Pitt

That was unreal. A lot of coaches talk out of both sides of their mouth and ramble on with 'coach speak' jargon. That was genuine. Very impressive. Those kids are going to think twice about leaving. Granted, he may only want 3-4 of them to actually stay.

Comment

I have to say that I was utterly blown away with Capel to be honest. He's a man who has seen and done a lot in his 43 years of life. He's had a vast array of experiences-- some good and some not so good-- that probably allows him to walk with a high degree of wisdom.

I would have to agree that the Pitt players probably would have to crave an opportunity to play for somebody like him. He may want to free up some scholarships so he can bring in more of his own people if he can at this late time period-- whether they be transfers or recruits that he feels that he can scoop up.

Some of the 'burgh media seemed a little surly in the Q&A that followed (not too bad). I guess a hiring like this really shoots down their long pronounced theory that no high-quality candidate would ever come to Pitt. LOL. I guess Mark Madden, after completely trashing Pitt hoops the past month or so, just shrugged his shoulders and said "well, who cares about Pitt basketball anyways" after he ate crow when the hiring of Capel was announced. Classic!

Certainly one fear would be the return of the old ghost walking the earth of Pitt coaches leaving when their dream job opens up. We lost Ben Howland (UCLA) and Paul Chryst (Wisconsin) that way. Not sure if Capel was ever considered an heir-apparent at Duke. I never really got that feeling, but of course he would understandingly covet that job. Let's hope Coach K stays there for awhile yet.

Pitt brass and fans need to give Capel several years to complete this turnaround.

-

Comment

Pitt has fired head women's coach Suzie McConnell-Serio per multiple media outlets.

Comment

Wonder if Irish Tom will be a candidate? That would probably be way too politically incorrect and the Oakland crowd would never go along with bringing another McConnell to town.

Kelly Mazzante would probably be a good candidate for the job, but I'm sure Heather will be looking for D-I head coaching experience on the resume.

-

Comment

Google the story ... sounds like all wasn't well inside the program.

Comment

Can't really say that I care anything at all about Pitt WBB. Just happy that the men's program has a shot to return to what they should be.

I wonder if the IUP gals will continue to scrimmage Pitt this fall? Ironically, Irish Tom may have set his sister's demise in motion as early as last November when IUP beat the Lady Panthers.

That for me was one of those WTF moments. I'm sure it was double that for Heather the AD. Losing to a D-II team is not exactly in line with program excellence.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
                Wonder if Irish Tom will be a candidate? That would probably be way too politically incorrect and the Oakland crowd would never go along with bringing another McConnell to town.

Kelly Mazzante would probably be a good candidate for the job, but I'm sure Heather will be looking for D-I head coaching experience on the resume.

-

Comment

Pitt is too 'high and mighty' to look at the lowly D2 ranks but that coach at Ashland is sure interesting.

As it turns out, Pitt hired an outside party to investigate Suzie's program. They've had a mass exodus of transfers during her tenure (including three more leaving this spring). Several made some accusations of abuse against her.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                    Pitt is too 'high and mighty' to look at the lowly D2 ranks but that coach at Ashland is sure interesting.

As it turns out, Pitt hired an outside party to investigate Suzie's program. They've had a mass exodus of transfers during her tenure (including three more leaving this spring). Several made some accusations of abuse against her.
                    The Ashland coach just left for the HC position at Bowling Green...

My call is Shea Ralph for the Pitt Job. Look her up...Played at UConn...Her first college coaching gig was Pitt for 5 years as asst under Beranato, and now she's back as Asst at UConn.. 40 yrs old or so...Would be a great look I think...

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I think its fair to say that the ACC is too lofty for the straight from DII to power conference move. DII to mid-major or MAC is doable. Pitt may want to look out in Moon Township where Charlie Buscaglia is doing a great job after taking over for his dad two years ago. In two seasons he's gone 47-19 and won NEC Coach of the Year both years.

Comment

Looks like Parker Stewart will transfer out of Pitt.

Has there been any word on Capel's staff yet?

-

Comment

Rumor has it Ryan Luther may head to the desert with Sean Miller.

Comment

I heard that one. Actually, truth be told I would much rather see Capel bring in his own players. Maybe he can net some transfers here who would enjoy playing for him. He's certainly a known quantity in the world of D-I hoops and he may be happy to jettison some of these current players to get ones he wants.

It's going to take time to rebrand Pitt into a program that can run with the ACC heavies.

Thought I heard a couple of rumors that Brandin Knight might be brought back into the fold as an assistant. I'd be a bit surprised there. Might be better to cut the ties to the old Howland/Dixon regimes.

-

Comment

Luther has been nothing but a glorified lawn ornament at Pitt. If he wasn't a local nobody would care. Sleva would destroy him.

As for Knight, Capel said on the record he wants him back and has contacted him.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
                                I heard that one. Actually, truth be told I would much rather see Capel bring in his own players. Maybe he can net some transfers here who would enjoy playing for him. He's certainly a known quantity in the world of D-I hoops and he may be happy to jettison some of these current players to get ones he wants.

It's going to take time to rebrand Pitt into a program that can run with the ACC heavies.

Thought I heard a couple of rumors that Brandin Knight might be brought back into the fold as an assistant. I'd be a bit surprised there. Might be better to cut the ties to the old Howland/Dixon regimes.

-
                                Good chance that never happens.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X