Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: OT: Pitt

I agree with FightingScot. Had Sean Miller not been born and raised and western PA, he'd be getting crucified on this board. Pitt shouldn't touch him with a 40 foot pole.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
      I agree with FightingScot. Had Sean Miller not been born and raised and western PA, he'd be getting crucified on this board. Pitt shouldn't touch him with a 40 foot pole.
      Well, he is a bit of a local legend. He was on Johnny Carson when he was a young kid dribbling basketballs. He starred at Blackhawk where I believe he played for his well-known father. He was the Pitt point guard who played on one of the Panthers most exciting teams ever and made the assist on the Jerome Lane unforgettable dunk that shattered the backboard 30 years ago. He diligently worked his way up the coaching ranks. He is known as a class guy. He was a good coach at Arizona.

That is quite a resume. Okay, most of that occurred before you were likely even born so I understand why you don't perhaps feel the same way about him like many of us do in western PA.

I think Stullings seems like a pretty good guy to be honest. Nothing personal against him.

This is going to be interesting. Lyke did say that he did work hard and never gave up. Maybe he gets another year, maybe not. Time will tell.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
        Well, he is a bit of a local legend. He was on Johnny Carson when he was a young kid dribbling basketballs. He starred at Blackhawk where I believe he played for his well-known father. He was the Pitt point guard who played on one of the Panthers most exciting teams ever and made the assist on the Jerome Lane unforgettable dunk that shattered the backboard 30 years ago. He diligently worked his way up the coaching ranks. He is known as a class guy. He was a good coach at Arizona.

That is quite a resume. Okay, most of that occurred before you were likely even born so I understand why you don't perhaps feel the same way about him like many of us do in western PA.

I think Stullings seems like a pretty good guy to be honest. Nothing personal against him.

This is going to be interesting. Lyke did say that he did work hard and never gave up. Maybe he gets another year, maybe not. Time will tell.

-
        Regardless of any of that. The guy is alleged to have committed white collar felony crimes. He's on FBI wiretaps. He's burnt toast. I'm fairly certain most people feel the same about Miller as I do.

Comment

Regardless of any of that. The guy is alleged to have committed white collar felony crimes. He's on FBI wiretaps. He's burnt toast. I'm fairly certain most people feel the same about Miller as I do.
          Well, I'd hire him in a second. He didn't do anything that the rest of these programs across the nation haven't done. Okay, I guess he got caught. Bummer!

I'd be giddy to see a guy like Miller or Calapari take over Pitt. We need a coach to deliver a winner.

-

Comment

How good are these guys though when they have to play by the actual rules?

Busting out $100k in duffel bags sure helps recruiting.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Bingo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

But I guess one of my main points is that very likely all these big-time programs do this sort of thing. Duke. Kentucky. North Carolina. Michigan State. You name the program.

Maybe it's time for Pitt to get with the program and get on board and start winning some games.

-

Comment

But I guess one of my main points is that very likely all these big-time programs do this sort of thing. Duke. Kentucky. North Carolina. Michigan State. You name the program.

Maybe it's time for Pitt to get with the program and get on board and start winning some games.

-
                  They won't be doing it anymore.

Comment

-
                    If you want to sell your soul to the devil to win a couple college basketball games, fine. This banter is no good for anybody. I just don't want that. I would rather see Pitt be an average at best program while doing it the right way. Knowing they're doing it the right way. Pitt isn't any of the schools you mentioned. They never were. They won't ever be. Accept that. If Kevin "Stullings," as you say, runs a clean program, his kids graduate, stay out of trouble, and are competitive against a number of upper echelon programs in the ACC, then the man did his job. More college basketball programs are like Pitt than are like Kentucky or Carolina.

It's the same thing with attendance at Pitt football games. People get a skewed idea because of the cult that's in Center County. You can count the schools like Penn State on one hand. Literally. People bash Pitt constantly because they only draw 45,000 for football games. Go look at the numbers. Pitt draws as many as a number of highly successful college football programs. It's simply how you look at it and what you compare it to.

Compare Pitt basketball to who they should be compared to. Not Duke, Kentucky, or North Carolina.

Comment

They won't be doing it anymore.
                      The NCAA should use their head and start paying these athletes. Does it make sense for the coach to be making $4-5 million a year and the student-athlete being given merely tuition and room and board? It's nuts.

A wage scale/stipend for the student-athletes would be a great thing. It would make a lot of sense. It's absolutely nuts how these players provide the labor for what is likely a $billion business and they are not entitled to any of it.

-

Comment

• Comment

Without hearing the actual tapes themselves and relying on transcripts from an ESPN report which are now being scrutinized by other outlets, I'm not ready to quite say that Miller is in fact guilty unless the tapes themselves are presented. Last I checked, he's still entitled to the presumption of innocence UNLESS proven guilty in a court of law, not convicted by internet geeks who think they're Judge Wapner or Perry Mason.
                          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

The NCAA should use their head and start paying these athletes. Does it make sense for the coach to be making $4-5 million a year and the student-athlete being given merely tuition and room and board? It's nuts.

A wage scale/stipend for the student-athletes would be a great thing. It would make a lot of sense. It's absolutely nuts how these players provide the labor for what is likely a $billion business and they are not entitled to any of it.

-
                            I actually blame the schools for caving to the self interest of the coaches for where we are right now. Nobody was saying players should be paid when coaches were making $250k and using the millions in revenue to subsidize the sports that don't generate much. Now they're guaranteeing coaches that the salary will be a % of the gross revenue at the expense of other sports. Schools are paying football coaches $10 million and still not fully funding Olympic sports scholarships.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                              I actually blame the schools for caving to the self interest of the coaches for where we are right now. Nobody was saying players should be paid when coaches were making $250k and using the millions in revenue to subsidize the sports that don't generate much. Now they're guaranteeing coaches that the salary will be a % of the gross revenue at the expense of other sports. Schools are paying football coaches $10 million and still not fully funding Olympic sports scholarships.
                              Right. That's the main issue. That's why paying college athletes will never work. Everybody thinks it's so simple, but the reality is, it's not. I hate to sound like the young guy who went to college and thinks he knows everything, but I actually wrote a persuasive piece on this in college. Was actually the most enjoyable college assignment I ever did. I got to choose the topic, and I went into it with an open mind. I saw both sides to that point.

The fact is, there's far too many roadblocks for there ever to be a fair system in place to pay college athletes. I'll take IUP Crimson Hawks' post as a perfect example, we care about two sports regarding payment... Football and men's basketball. Both only at the Division 1 level. What message is that honestly sending?

The girls who play women's basketball at Geneva work just as hard as the guys who will be spending a couple months at Kentucky. But nobody is clamoring for those girls to get their payment. And heck, they're paying their own way. What people don't recognize is the schedules these student athletes are on. They have mandatory periods that NCAA will not allow their to be team activities. They set limits to 20 hours of organized team activities each week while in-season. They have limits to the offseason too. It's not a bad deal. The schools that have been caught "over working" athletes have been punished. Regardless of what sport you play and what level you play it at, you're under the same guidelines. So for as much as people act like these kids are unpaid serfs, they only ever, at most, "work" 20 hours a week. Wouldn't you like that deal while getting a six figure education paid for?

Again, there's too many roadblocks. Title 9 is a huge issue that wouldn't allow it. The fact that most schools, even at the big, bad, D1 level, aren't making much money from their athletic departments. If you were to actually run the numbers, it would be a far better financial decision for many of these schools, at all levels, to simply drop football. If you started paying football and basketball players, schools would begin dropping swimming, field hockey, water polo, volleyball, etc. That's not what we want.

If somebody could ever come up with a system that pays all athletes, across all sports, at all levels, in both genders, the same amount of money, I'll get behind it. Until then though, no.

Comment

Right. That's the main issue. That's why paying college athletes will never work. Everybody thinks it's so simple, but the reality is, it's not. I hate to sound like the young guy who went to college and thinks he knows everything, but I actually wrote a persuasive piece on this in college. Was actually the most enjoyable college assignment I ever did. I got to choose the topic, and I went into it with an open mind. I saw both sides to that point.

The fact is, there's far too many roadblocks for there ever to be a fair system in place to pay college athletes. I'll take IUP Crimson Hawks' post as a perfect example, we care about two sports regarding payment... Football and men's basketball. Both only at the Division 1 level. What message is that honestly sending?

The girls who play women's basketball at Geneva work just as hard as the guys who will be spending a couple months at Kentucky. But nobody is clamoring for those girls to get their payment. And heck, they're paying their own way. What people don't recognize is the schedules these student athletes are on. They have mandatory periods that NCAA will not allow their to be team activities. They set limits to 20 hours of organized team activities each week while in-season. They have limits to the offseason too. It's not a bad deal. The schools that have been caught "over working" athletes have been punished. Regardless of what sport you play and what level you play it at, you're under the same guidelines. So for as much as people act like these kids are unpaid serfs, they only ever, at most, "work" 20 hours a week. Wouldn't you like that deal while getting a six figure education paid for?

Again, there's too many roadblocks. Title 9 is a huge issue that wouldn't allow it. The fact that most schools, even at the big, bad, D1 level, aren't making much money from their athletic departments. If you were to actually run the numbers, it would be a far better financial decision for many of these schools, at all levels, to simply drop football. If you started paying football and basketball players, schools would begin dropping swimming, field hockey, water polo, volleyball, etc. That's not what we want.

If somebody could ever come up with a system that pays all athletes, across all sports, at all levels, in both genders, the same amount of money, I'll get behind it. Until then though, no.
                                You are a bright boy. I woke up this morning and the first thing that popped into my head regarding my post last evening was Title IX. You nailed it!

Certainly I was only talking about a stipend regarding football and men's basketball at the big schools that generate the big money. But you are absolutely correct. It would never fly. You can't pay all the athletes and at most schools across the nation you probably could not pay any of the athletes.

Still no word on Stullings. One report said that his future was being reviewed by the AD. I did read that Pitt MBB hit their lowest attendance since 1982. Ouch!

Send in the moving truck, Jerome!

-

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X