Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: OT: Pitt

Looks like Sean is safe in the desert ... and ESPN really butchered its report.

BTW ... ending of Virginia at Louisville .... UNREAL

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Looks like Sean is safe in the desert ... and ESPN really butchered its report.

... UNREAL
      My CI told me as much this week, Wednesday I think. Had not seen him in some time. Ran into him at the gas station. We were catching up about some local players. I asked what he knew about it. Said it was all hacked together by ESPN. He is much closer to this situation than probably anyone on this board. But, not a good time to have any type of problem within U of Arizona athletic Dept. Rich Rod did his damage, also issues with a coach of another net sport.

Comment

We only knew what we read. Forever ESPN was seen as a credible news source so I can see why everybody believed what they reported.

In this era of fanboy bloggers, fake news, etc., they remained a viable source. But, they've taken some black eyes lately.

Recall in their basketball game broadcast last Saturday night they reported Miller was fired.

But, the public perception of the heavyweights all being dirty is very real. This era of D1 college basketball may eventually be looked back upon much the same way the steroid era is remembered in MLB.

It is hilarious to hear Rick Pittino say he knew of nothing. Those guys are the biggest control freaks on the planet. There isn't a thing they don't know about inside that program. That notion is what makes the PSU debacle all the more sickening.

Comment

We only knew what we read. Forever ESPN was seen as a credible news source so I can see why everybody believed what they reported.

In this era of fanboy bloggers, fake news, etc., they remained a viable source. But, they've taken some black eyes lately.

Recall in their basketball game broadcast last Saturday night they reported Miller was fired.

But, the public perception of the heavyweights all being dirty is very real. This era of D1 college basketball may eventually be looked back upon much the same way the steroid era is remembered in MLB.

It is hilarious to hear Rick Pittino say he knew of nothing. Those guys are the biggest control freaks on the planet. There isn't a thing they don't know about inside that program. That notion is what makes the PSU debacle all the more sickening.
          Careful not to feed the Joebots.

Comment

Yeah right. F the creepy joebots.

Comment

Rumormill is swirling in Pittsburgh. Tom Crean, former Indiana coach, getting a lot of buzz tonight.

Lot of radio play today ... somebody may know something.

Comment

Rumormill is swirling in Pittsburgh. Tom Crean, former Indiana coach, getting a lot of buzz tonight.

Lot of radio play today ... somebody may know something.
                I think that Tom Crean would get some people fired up perhaps. I have not heard a word on anything. Maybe tune in to the 10:35PM sports talk call in on CW.

-

Comment

• Comment

That's awesome.

Wasn't long ago Pitt was the feared team in Manhattan during this week.

Comment

The latest in the Pitt debacle:

Stallings has a $9.4m buyout. Pitt offered $7.1m. Stallings, obviously, rejected it.

There are rumors Pitt is trying to dig up some 'cause' to fire him but it doesn't seem to have anything on him.

The two sides and their attorneys are meeting in Oakland this morning.

If I'm Stallings ... walk in to the meeting and ask if Pitt has the check for $9.4m ... if they say no ... walk out. He's the coach until he's paid. Pitt gave him that ridiculous contract ... now they need to pay him.

Comment

Unless Pitt has a much better guy who is ready and waiting for the offer (such as a Tom Crean) I think the only course of action is to give him another year but maybe dictate that he hire a hot young assistant (such as a Brandin Knight) who could take over if Stallings isn't able to make sizable progress next year.

I don't think its worth throwing the money away just to buy him out. Such a huge waste of money. I think there are better ways to improve the program with $7-9M.
                        Last edited by Fightingscot82; 03-08-2018, 09:03 AM.

Comment

It's already well known they offered him a buyout ... can't go back now. What would that tell potential recruits? Pitt would become a bigger joke than it already is at this point.

Stallings went 0-for-the-ACC ... and holds all the cards. It's actually amusing. He's going to leave Oakland with a gold parachute.

Comment

Now official per 93.7 The Fan ... Stallings is out.

Comment

Now official per 93.7 The Fan ... Stallings is out.
                              Thank God Almighty! An absolutely terrible and horrendous hire for Pitt two years ago. Nothing personal against the guy at all---just completely the wrong man for the job.

So who does our esteemed Pitt Basketball Roundtable see as the leading candidates for the job? I don't buy into the people who say that this is a bad job at all. I think it could be a very good job for the right person. Pitt hoops can rise again. Great university in an urban setting and membership in the ACC. If you can't sell that to potential recruits then you are in the wrong line of work.

That said, there are likely to be some lean years before this mess gets cleaned up.

I personally really like former Indiana skipper Tom Crean for the job. He had to clean up a mess at IU and he also was once a Pitt assistant some 20+ years ago.

-

Comment

Interesting spot.

Chances are if they are targeting a sitting coach ... he's likely still playing. That delays things a while.

Hiring Crean could be done quickly. And, as any incoming coach knows, time is money when it comes to salvaging a recruiting class (and deciding which returning players you want to convince to stay).

I'm on board with Crean. He got a raw deal at Indiana after doing a great job of fixing the mess.

I also don't buy the 'Pitt is a bad job' nonsense. How many people call the $2+ million dollar salary Pitt will offer a 'bad job'? Sign me up if that's the case. I'll take it.

Virginia seems to be doing awfully well running the old 'defense first' Pitt style.

Fair or not, Stallings was crucified before his introductory press conference. But, there are now $9.4 million reasons not to feel too bad for him. He may be at Seton Hill soon.

Pitt is a good job. Ben Howland thrived here. Jamie Dixon did, too, for the most part.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X