Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OT: Pitt

LOL ... I think Jimmy Chitwood was about 5'9" in real life.

I really enjoy the movie The Pistol (about Pete Marovich). It's kind of hard to find and rarely on TV.

He Got Game isn't a bad basketball (based) movie. It's pretty far-fetched but entertaining. Jesus Shuttlesworth

Blue Chips ... what a film. I saw it in the theater long ago. Old Coach Pete had buyers remorse. That was quite the recruiting class he landed -- regardless of what it cost.

How about Teen Wolf and Coach Bobby Finstock (the 1985 version)? Is that a 'basketball' movie?

p.s. Rick Pitino called Kevin Stallings a 'jackas$' this morning. All pub is good pub.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      LOL ... I think Jimmy Chitwood was about 5'9" in real life.

I really enjoy the movie The Pistol (about Pete Marovich). It's kind of hard to find and rarely on TV.

He Got Game isn't a bad basketball (based) movie. It's pretty far-fetched but entertaining. Jesus Shuttlesworth

Blue Chips ... what a film. I saw it in the theater long ago. Old Coach Pete had buyers remorse. That was quite the recruiting class he landed -- regardless of what it cost.

How about Teen Wolf and Coach Bobby Finstock (the 1985 version)? Is that a 'basketball' movie?

p.s. Rick Pitino called Kevin Stallings a 'jackas$' this morning. All pub is good pub.
      There are far worse things we could call Rick Pitino and we wouldn't even be lying.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
        There are far worse things we could call Rick Pitino and we wouldn't even be lying.
        Pr*ck would be the first word that comes to mind for me. A total one at that.

Did anybody ever see the Robbie Benson movie from circa late 1970s One on One (I believe that was the title). He played a hotshot college frosh recruit. The film did a nice job of documenting the struggles of a college athlete caught in the web of jerk win at all costs coach who cares nothing about his players but merely thinks only of winning.

Though I don't ever recall watching it---there was a television show about basketball on when I was a kid called The White Shadow.
        -

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
          Do you think that Jimmy Chitwood could play in the ACC? I guess for the purpose of the film he was a Jerry West-type. He probably could've played anywhere so long as it was 1950s ball. LOL.

But Hoosiers was a great film. What were some of the great basketball movies over the years? I really liked Blue Chips a lot. But no way does Nolte grow a conscience like that at the end and do what he did. Granted I think he was a good man, but no one is going to look a gift horse in the mouth like that. Especially when everyone else under the sun is doing the same exact thing.

-
          Hoosiers is my favorite film ever. What made it great? (1) I read that there was a huge sign in the studio that read THIS IS NOT A SPORTS MOVIE. This is absolutely true ... The movie's plot is about a sport and the fantasy-turned-reality of the small school winning the Indiana State championship, it more importantly centers around second chances and redemption. (2) The actors who played the basketball players were casted based on their basketball ability first, and their acting skills second. Too often in many sports movies the actor is horrible at the sport and it shows.

Could it also be my favorite movie because John Reilly pretty much plays a 1950's style offense? Gannon and Mercyhurst set basketball back 60 years whenever they face each other. Time to run the picket fence!!!

Comment

Don't get caught watching the paint dry.

Comment

Pr*ck would be the first word that comes to mind for me. A total one at that.

Did anybody ever see the Robbie Benson movie from circa late 1970s One on One (I believe that was the title). He played a hotshot college frosh recruit. The film did a nice job of documenting the struggles of a college athlete caught in the web of jerk win at all costs coach who cares nothing about his players but merely thinks only of winning.

Though I don't ever recall watching it---there was a television show about basketball on when I was a kid called The White Shadow.
              -
              One on One is my favorite basketball movie, and I have it on VHS. "Take you scholarship and shove it up you ass with a red hot poker" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=334mBXSQgpo The music by Seals and Croft was great too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkqjjHDEt_w
              Last edited by Bart; 01-04-2018, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Semi-Pro cracks me up every time. It's actually not a bad movie. Jackie Moon.

White Men Can't Jump is also a good film although hard to call a basketball movie.

Glory Road is a good movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
                  One on One is my favorite basketball movie, and I have it on VHS. "Take you scholarship and shove it up you ass with a red hot poker" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=334mBXSQgpo The music by Seals and Croft was great too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkqjjHDEt_w
                  I haven't seen that movie in at least three decades I know. But it did leave a very lasting impression on me. I had a real d*ckhead coach for junior high football so I can relate to it pretty well.

I prefer England Dan and John Ford Coley to Seals and Croft--- one of whom of course was England Dan's older brother.

I would love to see that film again. It's never on anywhere.

-

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
                    Hoosiers is my favorite film ever. What made it great? (1) I read that there was a huge sign in the studio that read THIS IS NOT A SPORTS MOVIE. This is absolutely true ... The movie's plot is about a sport and the fantasy-turned-reality of the small school winning the Indiana State championship, it more importantly centers around second chances and redemption. (2) The actors who played the basketball players were casted based on their basketball ability first, and their acting skills second. Too often in many sports movies the actor is horrible at the sport and it shows.

Could it also be my favorite movie because John Reilly pretty much plays a 1950's style offense? Gannon and Mercyhurst set basketball back 60 years whenever they face each other. Time to run the picket fence!!!
                    I think one of my favorite sports movies ever was All The Right Moves from 1983. I was playing high school football at that time and the film really did capture what it was to play western PA high school football at that time. It was extremely well done. The actors like Tom Cruise, Chris Penn, Craig T. Nelson and Lea Thompson all did a fab job with their roles. Seemed so real. The scenes and locales (filmed of course in Johnstown) were also out of this world. As was the attention to technical detail that was paid by the director and producers. I believe that WPIAL coach Don Yanessa was the technical advisor during filming. Well, he absolutely nailed it. Incredibly realistic to right down to the most minute detail. Hoosiers was like this as well as far as I could surmise. It made you really feel that you were in 1950s rural Indiana.

-

Comment

I haven't seen that movie in at least three decades I know. But it did leave a very lasting impression on me. I had a real d*ckhead coach for junior high football so I can relate to it pretty well.

I prefer England Dan and John Ford Coley to Seals and Croft--- one of whom of course was England Dan's older brother.

I would love to see that film again. It's never on anywhere.

-
                      You can watch it on Youtube for about 3 dollars. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...e+on+one+movie Some comments I read:

The goon "Hitman" who the coach gets to teach Robby Benson what happens when you play one on one is Bobby Anderson. Bobby played football for the University of Colorado and set a rushing record at the '69 Liberty Bowl. Bobby was drafted by the Denver Broncos in '70 and played for them 4 years or so. He was a long time announcer for CU games after retiring from the NFL. His brother Dick Anderson played for the Miami Dolphins as a defensive back and intercepted 34 passes from '68 to '77. Dick was a member of the Dolphins undefeated '72 team.

The coach, G.D. Spradlin, just passed away at age 90. A great character actor who also appeared as a coach in N. Dallas Forty. In the promo for the movie " Blue Chips" starring Nick Nolte and Shaq, G.D. Spradlin (COACH SMITH) reprises his role as Western University Athletic Director warning Nolte not to have another losing season. But the scene never appeared in the movie !

Daryl Hall and John Oates also had a song title One on one, but no connection to the movie. Do you remember their concert at IUP?
                      Last edited by Bart; 01-05-2018, 04:41 PM.

Comment

The goon "Hitman" who the coach gets to teach Robby Benson what happens when you play one on one is Bobby Anderson. Bobby played football for the University of Colorado and set a rushing record at the '69 Liberty Bowl. Bobby was drafted by the Denver Broncos in '70 and played for them 4 years or so. He was a long time announcer for CU games after retiring from the NFL. His brother Dick Anderson played for the Miami Dolphins as a defensive back and intercepted 34 passes from '68 to '77. Dick was a member of the Dolphins undefeated '72 team.
                        Very interesting! I certainly have heard of Dolphins safety Dick Anderson before. Before my time but sounded like he was an outstanding player in his day. Never heard of Bobby Anderson before. I thought he looked a little bulky to be a hoops player in the download that you provided. I was reading something on the movie and I believe that it was filmed at Colorado State if my memory serves me.

Daryl Hall and John Oates also had a song title One on one, but no connection to the movie. Do you remember their concert at IUP?
                        I recall the Hall and Oates song One on One from early 1983. I have no memory of them being at IUP ever. Around what time was that?

-

Comment

I recall the Hall and Oates song One on One from early 1983. I have no memory of them being at IUP ever. Around what time was that?

-
                          May 3, 1981 I was on campus at the time, but didn't make the concert. They also played at Bloom in April 1981, but I was at IUP. One on One was filmed at Colorado, but was representing a California school like UCLA.

Comment

May 3, 1981 I was on campus at the time, but didn't make the concert. They also played at Bloom in April 1981, but I was at IUP. One on One was filmed at Colorado, but was representing a California school like UCLA.
                            I think that I was like in the fifth grade then. I believe that Blue Chips also implied that the school was UCLA.

-

Comment

Correct. 'Pete Bell' was the head coach of Western University in Los Angeles.

Irinically they shot it at USC and not UCLA.

Of course, USC is the big film school.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                                Correct. 'Pete Bell' was the head coach of Western University in Los Angeles.

Irinically they shot it at USC and not UCLA.

Of course, USC is the big film school.
                                USC is also more known as Tailback U. UCLA has that mystique of winning all those national titles under the Wizard of Westwood in the 1960s and early 1970s. Plus it has the Hollywood glitz and those glam school colors. A good choice for writers and filmmakers to use to convey that their subject is big-time college hoops. None was ever bigger than the UCLA Bruins.

-

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X