Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sancomb Out At Wheeling Jesuit

Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
    I think the point is there maybe no violations.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
      It doesn't sound like anyone knows the violations yet, unless there is a leak that Cal heard.

http://www.theintelligencer.net/spor...ng-of-sancomb/
      Presumably as a part of the dismissal interview WJU officials would have told DS what rules he is accused of violating (unless they're invoking double secret probation) and he would give CALU officials that information as part of his hiring interview. Either he feels the accusations are false or the violations so minor as to be inconsequential. Apparently PRES. JONES, AD HJERPE and whomever else had a say were satisfied with his explanation and the rest of us can wait until Thurs @1PM to hear more. Given the administration's effort to keep athletics as clean as possible, I have to believe that they did their due diligence and starting next week a rebirth of the best of VULCAN MBB will get another shot.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
        Presumably as a part of the dismissal interview WJU officials would have told DS what rules he is accused of violating (unless they're invoking double secret probation) and he would give CALU officials that information as part of his hiring interview. Either he feels the accusations are false or the violations so minor as to be inconsequential. Apparently PRES. JONES, AD HJERPE and whomever else had a say were satisfied with his explanation and the rest of us can wait until Thurs @1PM to hear more. Given the administration's effort to keep athletics as clean as possible, I have to believe that they did their due diligence and starting next week a rebirth of the best of VULCAN MBB will get another shot.
        I agree the new administration has been trying to clean up Cal athletics, which makes getting close to this coach questionable. Societal trends are convicting people on accusations.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
          I agree the new administration has been trying to clean up Cal athletics, which makes getting close to this coach questionable. Societal trends are convicting people on accusations.
          I am not familiar with Cal U history, but given their adminstration's commitment that you stated, as well as Sancomb's prior sterling reputation among alumni and players, I would be surprised if there are any significant violations.
          Apparently, there is a database of violations, which is searchable after the conclusion of the process. For example, it had major violations from West Chester from way back in 1988.
          The process is described in the link below.
          http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...s_20151029.pdf

Although the NCAA gives guidelines on penalties, the institution apparently can do whatever they want, even to suspend a coach for secondary violations, not just major violations.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
            I think the point is there maybe no violations.
            Doubtful. For that to be true WJ would have had to lied to the MEC and to the NCAA saying there was a violation when there wasn't one. Lying to your conference and to the national governing body seems like a pretty drastic move for a university to take just to can their head basketball coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
              I am not familiar with Cal U history, but given their adminstration's commitment that you stated, as well as Sancomb's prior sterling reputation among alumni and players, I would be surprised if there are any significant violations.
              Apparently, there is a database of violations, which is searchable after the conclusion of the process. For example, it had major violations from West Chester from way back in 1988.
              The process is described in the link below.
              http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...s_20151029.pdf

Although the NCAA gives guidelines on penalties, the institution apparently can do whatever they want, even to suspend a coach for secondary violations, not just major violations.
              According to the NCAA the most prevalent violations for Level III Secondary Violations that result in "other" coach suspensions (Non-D1 Head Coaches) are:

Impermissible off campus contact with prospects
              Allowing ineligible athletes to compete
              Allowing student-athletes who have not been certified by the Eligibility Center to compete
              Providing impermissible extra benefits
              Impermissible communication with potential transfer student-athlete

About Level III Secondary Violations, the NCAA says the violation is isolated or limited in nature, can be inadvertent in nature and only provides a minimal recruiting, competitive or other advantage.

If I read the NCAA site correctly, Level III Secondary Infractions are not made public. If that is true, we may never know what the underlying infraction is unless someone leaks it.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                According to the NCAA the most prevalent violations for Level III Secondary Violations that result in "other" coach suspensions (Non-D1 Head Coaches) are:

Impermissible off campus contact with prospects
                Allowing ineligible athletes to compete
                Allowing student-athletes who have not been certified by the Eligibility Center to compete
                Providing impermissible extra benefits
                Impermissible communication with potential transfer student-athlete

About Level III Secondary Violations, the NCAA says the violation is isolated or limited in nature, can be inadvertent in nature and only provides a minimal recruiting, competitive or other advantage.

If I read the NCAA site correctly, Level III Secondary Infractions are not made public. If that is true, we may never know what the underlying infraction is unless someone leaks it.
                Although we will never hear the whole story, I'm guessing either an inadvertent or subject to interpretation violation of little or no consequence. I sense a power play in which the new WJU administration felt they could set a tone by disciplining a high profile coach expecting he'd take a pay cut to keep his job. DS on the other hand felt his long term relationship with CARDINAL athletics made him impervious to severe discipline. Turns out they were both wrong. Power plays can get messy.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                  Although we will never hear the whole story, I'm guessing either an inadvertent or subject to interpretation violation of little or no consequence. I sense a power play in which the new WJU administration felt they could set a tone by disciplining a high profile coach expecting he'd take a pay cut to keep his job. DS on the other hand felt his long term relationship with CARDINAL athletics made him impervious to severe discipline. Turns out they were both wrong. Power plays can get messy.
                  Could be. I tend to think it was something that Sancomb didn't think was a violation, that the school originally was going to propose a suspension as the penalty to the NCAA, Sancomb balked at this and the school decided to fire him. NCAA wants everyone engaged in these sorts of things to at least say they admit their fault, will NEVER do it again and are satisfied with the penalty.

But unless it comes out in court, we'll probably never know for sure.

Comment

It looks like it is coming out tomorrow in the Wheeling newspaper.

Comment

Comment

Lawyer claims he was fired for opening a bank account that used to pay ticket takers and scorekeepers. That account would obviously have a paper trail that would be easy to follow. I don't think the lawyer for Sancomb would go public first if the account was used for any wrongdoing. WJU with the no comment. Account has been dormant since 2013 when it was last used to buy chicken and pasta.

http://www.theintelligencer.net/news...out-on-firing/

Comment

So, what, he was paying them 'under the table' ?

Or, was he paying them in chicken and pasta gift certificates ....

Comment

So, WJ couldn't pay employees. Danny never put money in to the account.

So ... who did? Somebody had to put money in the account.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                              So, WJ couldn't pay employees. Danny never put money in to the account.

So ... who did? Somebody had to put money in the account.
                              Soooo....Danny's lawyer says HIS investigation shows Danny did nothing wrong. That's a shock! Hahahaha!!!

One would assume the AD had authority to open an account in the name of WJ. One would also assume that as the AD, the monthly account statements going to him would be the same as them going to the school so his lawyers assertion that the statments went to the school so "they" knew about the account is a little hard to believe.

As for who put the money in the account, my guess would begin with do and end with ners. My further guess is that they would be the "unidentified" variety.

Dont know about WJ, but my experience is that the ticket takers, scorekeepers, etc are largley from other sports teams. If you set up a method for paying them that doesnt conform to NCAA rules, you are wrong.

Just because you violate a rule with the best of intentions doesn't mean you should get off free.

Comment

At IUP the KCAC has a whole staff of paid employees ... ushers, tickets, concessions, bartenders, parking, etc.

But, they are all w-2 employees.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X