Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sancomb Out At Wheeling Jesuit

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Soooo....Danny's lawyer says HIS investigation shows Danny did nothing wrong. That's a shock! Hahahaha!!!

One would assume the AD had authority to open an account in the name of WJ. One would also assume that as the AD, the monthly account statements going to him would be the same as them going to the school so his lawyers assertion that the statments went to the school so "they" knew about the account is a little hard to believe.

As for who put the money in the account, my guess would begin with do and end with ners. My further guess is that they would be the "unidentified" variety.

Dont know about WJ, but my experience is that the ticket takers, scorekeepers, etc are largley from other sports teams. If you set up a method for paying them that doesnt conform to NCAA rules, you are wrong.

Just because you violate a rule with the best of intentions doesn't mean you should get off free.
    Haha ... never heard a defense lawyer claim innocence for his client. Lol. Shocker.

The Wheeling paper is getting embarrassed on this story. Get in there and get the story. Find somebody who will talk. They can't drum up a thing from the WJ side in 45 days?

Comment

Ultimately this will come down to being a Witch Hunt. Danny likely ticked somebody off there pretty bad. First chance they got ... trigger pulled.

It's going to be a fun 2018-19 season in Wheeling.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Ultimately this will come down to being a Witch Hunt. Danny likely ticked somebody off there pretty bad. First chance they got ... trigger pulled.

It's going to be a fun 2018-19 season in Wheeling.
        Reading between the lines, here is what I think happened. First, Sancomb, in the position of AD, acted as an "administrator" for WJ on a wide range of matters. So when someone says "a university administrator knew," if Sancomb knew of that fact in his position as AD, yes, the university knew. Effectively, AD Sancomb and the University are one in the same. I note that Sancomb's lawyer never sites who at the University knew of the account, who authorized it or where the funds in the account came from. Just my opinion here but it seems most likely that a number of WJ student athletes were looking for on-campus employment to supplement their scholly $'s. Probably a number of these athletes were from the basketball team. Unfortunately, the school didn't have enough money to pay the number of athletes looking for jobs. As the AD, Danny came up with a scheme to take donor dollars and use them to play the athletes for their jobs. I don't think there is anything inherently illegal about that but as they say, the devil is always in the details. As the "employer" AD Sancomb had the ability to set the athletes rate of pay and the number of hours they worked. If he set the rate of pay for basketball players above the rate for others or gave more hours to basketball players, that is a violation.

Many years ago Texas got in trouble for a booster selling cars to football players. On the face of it, there is no violation of NCAA rules for a business selling to players. BUUUUUTTTT...This donor was "selling" cars to football players for pennies on the dollar and FAR below retail.

As far as this being a "witch hunt" were WJ leadership was out to "get" Sancomb, haven't seen any evidence of that short of the actual firing. I don't read anything in the statement or interview with Sancomb's lawyer that anyone was out to get him. Short of fan speculation, I haven't seen any reports, evidence or reports of evidence that show or even imply that WJ was out to get Sancomb.

Also interesting that Sancomb's attorney says they have no intention to file a lawsuit but then makes a thinly veiled threat that if something ever comes up that is improper (pretty broad!), they will file suite. Wonder if that includes the NCAA that is investigating this matter...ORRRRR perhaps anyone from WJ that might tell their side of the story to the newspaper?? Pretty neat trick...go to the media and tell YOUR side of the story and then threaten to sue anyone who goes to the media and tells a story that differs from yours!!!!!!!!!
        Last edited by boatcapt; 06-25-2018, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Reading between the lines, here is what I think happened. First, Sancomb, in the position of AD, acted as an "administrator" for WJ on a wide range of matters. So when someone says "a university administrator knew," if Sancomb knew of that fact in his position as AD, yes, the university knew. Effectively, AD Sancomb and the University are one in the same. I note that Sancomb's lawyer never sites who at the University knew of the account, who authorized it or where the funds in the account came from. Just my opinion here but it seems most likely that a number of WJ student athletes were looking for on-campus employment to supplement their scholly $'s. Probably a number of these athletes were from the basketball team. Unfortunately, the school didn't have enough money to pay the number of athletes looking for jobs. As the AD, Danny came up with a scheme to take donor dollars and use them to play the athletes for their jobs. I don't think there is anything inherently illegal about that but as they say, the devil is always in the details. As the "employer" AD Sancomb had the ability to set the athletes rate of pay and the number of hours they worked. If he set the rate of pay for basketball players above the rate for others or gave more hours to basketball players, that is a violation.

Many years ago Texas got in trouble for a booster selling cars to football players. On the face of it, there is no violation of NCAA rules for a business selling to players. BUUUUUTTTT...This donor was "selling" cars to football players for pennies on the dollar and FAR below retail.

As far as this being a "witch hunt" were WJ leadership was out to "get" Sancomb, haven't seen any evidence of that short of the actual firing. I don't read anything in the statement or interview with Sancomb's lawyer that anyone was out to get him. Short of fan speculation, I haven't seen any reports, evidence or reports of evidence that show or even imply that WJ was out to get Sancomb.

Also interesting that Sancomb's attorney says they have no intention to file a lawsuit but then makes a thinly veiled threat that if something ever comes up that is improper (pretty broad!), they will file suite. Wonder if that includes the NCAA that is investigating this matter...ORRRRR perhaps anyone from WJ that might tell their side of the story to the newspaper?? Pretty neat trick...go to the media and tell YOUR side of the story and then threaten to sue anyone who goes to the media and tells a story that differs from yours!!!!!!!!!
          Interesting thoughts. Although I don't agree with him politically, Noam Chomsky had an insightful quote: " it is not the questions that the media asks that is important, but it is the questions they DON'T ASK!

You laid out a few in your post. It is prudent to parse every word from a lawyer carefully as you did.
          1. What was the max $ paid to any one person or family?
          2. How much money was deposited in the account over its life?
          3. Did anyone or a relative of someone associated with AAU receive $ if so how much total?

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
            Interesting thoughts. Although I don't agree with him politically, Noam Chomsky had an insightful quote: " it is not the questions that the media asks that is important, but it is the questions they DON'T ASK!

You laid out a few in your post. It is prudent to parse every word from a lawyer carefully as you did.
            1. What was the max $ paid to any one person or family?
            2. How much money was deposited in the account over its life?
            3. Did anyone or a relative of someone associated with AAU receive $ if so how much total?
            Edits to your three questions. Add:

1. And who received those payments?
            2. And who were the donors?

I'd add a 4th question - Did your client set up any other account or mechanism to pay student athletes?

Comment

The problem with all your story is Sancomb's lawyer was not talking about when Sancomb was AD, but when he was no longer in that position. There was no other account when Sancomb was AD, but when he was not 2 past ADs ago now at the school. None of the game workers paid were his student-athletes as per MEC rules basketball table workers cannot be students at the scoreboard, game or shot clock positions.

Comment

Unless I misunderstood your point, Danny was indeed AD from at least Aug 2011 through Dec 31, 2012, based on published news articles, which would cover the period in question.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                  Unless I misunderstood your point, Danny was indeed AD from at least Aug 2011 through Dec 31, 2012, based on published news articles, which would cover the period in question.
                  Just analyzing several reports over time. I recall reading that the allegation stems from activity begun in 2011. Recent information from Sancomb's own lawyer says the allegation is related to an account that was created to pay game workers. If both are true then yes, Sancomb was the AD at the time of the alleged actions.

Don't know when this account was set-up in 2011 but there is every reason to believe that Sancomb set it up when he became AD with the intention to pay game day staff. As I said previously, I don't think it was a violation to set up such an account to play game day staff. I think the violation is probably in how money was funneled into the account, the players who were paid from this fund, and how much they were paid.

Comment

I guess that's the part I'm struggling with here ... 'paying' people out of a bank account seems to me like a form of 'under the table' payroll. At the very least ticket takers, etc., would be paid as contract employees. I've never heard of a school paying people in such a manner. Maybe a little league but not an NCAA institution.

Very well could be they saw nothing wrong with it (and/or how the money got in to the account). Doesn't mean it was legal in NCAA bylaws, however.

Comment

• Re: Sancomb Out At Wheeling Jesuit

Second part of this ... perhaps my 'witch hunt' theory ...

We're talking 2011 here. It's 2018. How easy would this have been to sweep under the rug? Yes, I know, the NCAA and its members are so full of ethics (wink, wink).

As always, two sides to every story. It's like watching Dateline. You always think the defendant is guilty as heck until the defense gets its turn to make their case. The only 'side' we know as of now is from a defense lawyer ... which most value as much as a used car salesman or insurance salesman.

Comment

I guess that's the part I'm struggling with here ... 'paying' people out of a bank account seems to me like a form of 'under the table' payroll. At the very least ticket takers, etc., would be paid as contract employees. I've never heard of a school paying people in such a manner. Maybe a little league but not an NCAA institution.

Very well could be they saw nothing wrong with it (and/or how the money got in to the account). Doesn't mean it was legal in NCAA bylaws, however.
                        The fact they put the $$$ in an WJU account pretty much says they didn't see anything wrong with it. Could be that part was okay but how it was subsequently used is the issue. Could be they simply wanted someone to take the hit for the whole issue and DS said " Don't look at me, I did what I was told to do"!!! Almost certain we will never know the whole story.

Comment

Second part of this ... perhaps my 'witch hunt' theory ...

We're talking 2011 here. It's 2018. How easy would this have been to sweep under the rug? Yes, I know, the NCAA and its members are so full of ethics (wink, wink).

As always, two sides to every story. It's like watching Dateline. You always think the defendant is guilty as heck until the defense gets its turn to make their case. The only 'side' we know as of now is from a defense lawyer ... which most value as much as a used car salesman or insurance salesman.
                          I imagine you are kidding but I wouldn't advocate trying to hide an infraction from the NCAA. They may never find out but if they do, you took what from an institutional level is probably a relatively minor thing and raise it into something that produces MAJOR NCAA sanctions!!

Concerning what took so long (2011-12 violation being reported in April 2018). New AD came on board in Sept 2017...I would imagine that he was a bit preoccupied with helping start a new football program and with the general management of facilities and in-season athletic programs. Not surprising that it took so long for him to discover this long dormant bank account (it was three AD's ago!). I imagine that he was poking through some old Athletic Department papers and found a bank statement for the account, started asking questions and as they say, the rest is history.

Having had need to work with lawyers for the better part of my adult life, I think I trust used car and insurance salesmen much more!!!

Comment

• Comment

I imagine you are kidding but I wouldn't advocate trying to hide an infraction from the NCAA. They may never find out but if they do, you took what from an institutional level is probably a relatively minor thing and raise it into something that produces MAJOR NCAA sanctions!!

Concerning what took so long (2011-12 violation being reported in April 2018). New AD came on board in Sept 2017...I would imagine that he was a bit preoccupied with helping start a new football program and with the general management of facilities and in-season athletic programs. Not surprising that it took so long for him to discover this long dormant bank account (it was three AD's ago!). I imagine that he was poking through some old Athletic Department papers and found a bank statement for the account, started asking questions and as they say, the rest is history.

Having had need to work with lawyers for the better part of my adult life, I think I trust used car and insurance salesmen much more!!!
                              Unless DS was paying players in cash or in kind, I don't see this affecting his status at CAL U. As far as the account, who set it up, with what money and how it was spent, that is entirely a WJU matter. Day 3 of the SANCOMB era of VULCANS MBB and all is well.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                                Unless DS was paying players in cash or in kind, I don't see this affecting his status at CAL U. As far as the account, who set it up, with what money and how it was spent, that is entirely a WJU matter. Day 3 of the SANCOMB era of VULCANS MBB and all is well.
                                And during the time of the alleged activity, Sancomb served as "WJU" in his role as the AD. The unfortunate reality is that the PERSON who violated an NCAA rule does not bear any punishment provided he leaves the school were he committed the violation (except in very extreme cases). Not comparing what Sancomb is alleged to have done is in anyway close to these guys, but look at the NCAA sanctions that have followed in the wake of Jerry Tarkainan (Long Beach State, UNLV), Rick Pitino (Hawaii, Louisville), Pete Carroll (USC), etc.

Interesting observation. The NCAA is a "private corporate entity" of which WJU and Cal are members. Sancomb has been aledged to have violated an administrative policy of this entity. For a non-judicial, administrative investigation, most private entities can compel their employees to appear and answer questions truthfully during investigations. They do not have that authority against private citizens. When Sancomb was fired by WJU, he became a private citizen and short of volunteering to testify, there was no way the NCAA could compel him to do so. Now that he is again employed by an NCAA member institution, I would think the NCAA can compel him to testify and answer every question they pose to him truthfully.
                                Last edited by boatcapt; 06-27-2018, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X