Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sancomb Out At Wheeling Jesuit

Goodness. No statute of limitations in the NCAA?

I can't judge until actually hearing both sides of the story.

Seems safe to say it's a heck of a witch hunt or he did something real bad in 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Goodness. No statute of limitations in the NCAA?

I can't judge until actually hearing both sides of the story.

Seems safe to say it's a heck of a witch hunt or he did something real bad in 2011.
      Depends on what the violation is. I note that the leaker appear willing to leak the year of the alleged violation but appear to be reluctant to leak what the violation is. If it is a technical violation like failing to report millage on a recruiting trip, 7 years ago is a long time...If it is knowledge of boosters paying recruits to attend WJ, 7 years isn't that long.

Comment

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post
        According to certain social media and being posted on other sites, it appears that the violations occurred in 2011. It is 2018.

I don't know if this information is correct or not. But if true, it appears information is being leaked out gradually by certain parties. If true, and I emphasize "if", then it appears someone up there has it in for him.
        Well if it relates to Sancomb - it could be that there was disagreement on the institution's proposed self-imposed sanctions that led to the dismissal. They could have proposed a scholarship reduction or a post-season ban. I imagine that would set off a coach in his position.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
          Well if it relates to Sancomb - it could be that there was disagreement on the institution's proposed self-imposed sanctions that led to the dismissal. They could have proposed a scholarship reduction or a post-season ban. I imagine that would set off a coach in his position.
          Can a program self-impose a suspension as a punishment for a violation? I would imagine that if they proposed a 10 game suspension on Sancomb as a punishment for the violation, he might be inclined to balk at that.

I would imagine that Sancomb is under no gag order from releasing just what the allegations are. Seems pretty curious that he hasn't presented his side of the story. If they are minor violations trumped up by WJ just to "get" Sancomb as some people are speculating, seems like it would be in his best interest to get it out in the open for all, including potential future employers, to see.

I would imagine that at some point the NCAA will release what the violation is and what the sanctions are for it.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
            Can a program self-impose a suspension as a punishment for a violation? I would imagine that if they proposed a 10 game suspension on Sancomb as a punishment for the violation, he might be inclined to balk at that.

I would imagine that Sancomb is under no gag order from releasing just what the allegations are. Seems pretty curious that he hasn't presented his side of the story. If they are minor violations trumped up by WJ just to "get" Sancomb as some people are speculating, seems like it would be in his best interest to get it out in the open for all, including potential future employers, to see.

I would imagine that at some point the NCAA will release what the violation is and what the sanctions are for it.
            I suspect Danny's statement was vetted word for word by his lawyers. He must avoid any remarks that can be construed as damaging to WJU so that they do not have grounds to counter-sue him. I would not be surprised to see a settlement announced with non-disclosure requirements placed on both parties. WJU can just hit up the diocese for more $ for the settlement, as they surely won't get it from the boosters :-).

The NCAA is another story - not sure if they have open records on all self-reported violations.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
              I suspect Danny's statement was vetted word for word by his lawyers. He must avoid any remarks that can be construed as damaging to WJU so that they do not have grounds to counter-sue him. I would not be surprised to see a settlement announced with non-disclosure requirements placed on both parties. WJU can just hit up the diocese for more $ for the settlement, as they surely won't get it from the boosters :-).

The NCAA is another story - not sure if they have open records on all self-reported violations.
              Statements of fact in and of themselves can not be found damaging, particularly when the school itself found them sufficiently truthful enough to self report. It would be a tough case to make for WJ to say Sancom's statement that he was terminated because WJ felt he didn't report recruiting expenses appropriately in 2011 was defamatory.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                Statemen...terminated because WJ felt he didn't report recruiting expenses appropriately in 2011 was defamatory.

Comment

Was there an actual announcement by WJ or is this speculative hearsay?

Comment

Sorry for the confusion...No, no announcement. It was a poorly worded "example" of a violation that was minor and probably would not result in the coach being fired...that is unless the school was looking for a reason to fire him. Effectively the school has said you did something wrong and we fired you for it. I don't think Sancomb would be libeling WJ if he simply said, "They said they fired me because in 2011 I didn't file my recruiting travel authorization correctly"...if that is the reason they gave him.

Comment

Any names surfacing yet for the WJ opening?

Comment

Looks like two recruits chose other schools. The big guy went to Florida Southern and the guard signed with Millersville.

Comment

Something doesn't seem right here. Generally, you get two stories and the truth is somewhere in the middle. However, it doesn't seem WJU is talking, so we are only getting one story. Makes no sense, with his success, to be letting him go; unless there are MAJOR, not minor violations

Comment

Cal so quickly hiring Sancomb would lead you to believe they did their homework on him and didn't see any issues.

It makes the WJ firing all the more odd.

Fact is Cal just landed a Top 3 coach in the Atlantic Region.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                              Cal so quickly hiring Sancomb would lead you to believe they did their homework on him and didn't see any issues.

It makes the WJ firing all the more odd.

Fact is Cal just landed a Top 3 coach in the Atlantic Region.
                              It doesn't sound like anyone knows the violations yet, unless there is a leak that Cal heard.

http://www.theintelligencer.net/spor...ng-of-sancomb/

Comment

I think the point is there maybe no violations.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X