Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sancomb Out At Wheeling Jesuit

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Of course...they have 24 players on their basketball roster so if half leave, they would be down to what a "typical" DII team has! Guess the real question is which half leaves?

Never heard even a wild a$$ed rumor or fan "speculation" about Bethany jumping to DII. It would be interesting if they did...Three schools within 10 miles (?) of each other.
    You have that with Edinboro, Gannon, Mercyhurst.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Yeah ... what is that? Do they have a freshman team or something?
      Maybe its a way for WJ to bump up enrolement??

Didnt the NCAA decide that freshman and JV teams counted toward a players eligibility?

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
        Maybe that is it. Although WJ is private, maybe WJ thought they owned the proceeds to plow into other programs, while coach thought it belonged to basketball program.
        Seems like a reprimand type thing, or don't do it again. However, given the visibility Sancomb as given WJ on the national stage, if I were admin, I wouldn't make it the hill I wanted to die on.
        IF that is it, Sancomb could have strongly disagreed and refused to administer the funds the way leadership told him to. Refusing to do what your new bosses say to is certainly a fast road to getting fired!!

Comment

Has WJ made any form of public comment on this yet? If not, that's beyond lame -- and embarrassing for the athletic department.

Comment

Has WJ made any form of public comment on this yet? If not, that's beyond lame -- and embarrassing for the athletic department.
            The only public comment they've given so far is a vague statement about communicating with the Mountain East Conference and the NCAA about rule violations in Men's Basketball.

Full quote on Facebook/Twitter:

Comment

Wow. I guess firing a high profile coach isn't even worth a press release.

Comment

Originally posted by CardinalAlum View Post
                The only public comment they've given so far is a vague statement about communicating with the Mountain East Conference and the NCAA about rule violations in Men's Basketball.

Full quote on Facebook/Twitter:
                Wow. To fire the coach at the time of discovery seems to indicate that it was serious from a wju perspective at the very least and not a small technicality.
                In d1 schools often self report and take away scholarships and wait to see if NCAA agrees that the punishment is acceptable.

Comment

That's exactly what I thought after reading their statement. A firing right after a self-report ... certainly indicates extreme circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                    You have that with Edinboro, Gannon, Mercyhurst.
                    Not to mention four D2 schools within a similar radius within the city of Philadelphia: Chestnut Hill, Holy Family (Torresdale), Jefferson (Roxborough/East Falls) and USciences (University City).

You have five schools which are within a 20 mile radius (more or less) of each other in the San Francisco Bay Area: three PacWest - Dominican (Oakland), Notre Dame de Namur (San Mateo County) and Art U (San Francisco) - plus two CCAA schools in San Francisco State and Cal State-East Bay (Hayward).
                    Last edited by ctrabs74; 05-10-2018, 04:08 PM.
                    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

I read he's already lawyered up. There's definitely a big part of this not made public yet. This is really late in the year to do this, too.

I don't know. It's going to be an interesting job now. Candidates might say ... if they fired that guy after just winning the MEC and having one of the top programs in the region ...

I couldn't see Reynolds applying. I was shocked he didn't apply for the Cal job two years ago. Slippery Rock is a good fit for him. His antics wouldn't fly everywhere.

McBride left Concord due to lack of funds and salary which I heard was a joke. He is not going back to a conference that is in dire straights. Reynolds is real funny still laughing at that one, has not signed a HS kid in years......The job that was a Perfect fit for Sancomb was the Seton Hill job, if they only knew he was about to get canned I am sure they would of scooped him up. Similar to Wheeling, Catholic School with a lot of Scholarships and decent facility. SH could of got real lucky....As far as Wheeling job, Shepherd HC might be interested his hometown is Wheeling.....just sayin

Comment

Originally posted by IUP412 View Post
                        McBride left Concord due to lack of funds and salary which I heard was a joke. He is not going back to a conference that is in dire straights. Reynolds is real funny still laughing at that one, has not signed a HS kid in years......The job that was a Perfect fit for Sancomb was the Seton Hill job, if they only knew he was about to get canned I am sure they would of scooped him up. Similar to Wheeling, Catholic School with a lot of Scholarships and decent facility. SH could of got real lucky....As far as Wheeling job, Shepherd HC might be interested his hometown is Wheeling.....just sayin

Huh? Maybe for a Class AA high school. Remember when Joe famously called it a 'glorified high school gym similar to Indiana High School' ...

Let's not forget Sancomb got fired for a reason -- granted, a reason we don't know about yet. But, it's hard to call WJ reporting violations and then canning him a coincidence. Some baggage may emerge.

I'm not ruling McBride out. His first two years at Cal have been bad and Year 3 isn't going to be much better. He's also from down there, I believe, and has a good reputation in WV. With Cal's cutbacks it's going to be real hard to win there anytime soon. The massive following of the 90s is long gone, scholarships are down and you have to compete with some real wealthy programs in the West.

Comment

Huh? Maybe for a Class AA high school. Remember when Joe famously called it a 'glorified high school gym similar to Indiana High School' ...

Let's not forget Sancomb got fired for a reason -- granted, a reason we don't know about yet. But, it's hard to call WJ reporting violations and then canning him a coincidence. Some baggage may emerge.

I'm not ruling McBride out. His first two years at Cal have been bad and Year 3 isn't going to be much better. He's also from down there, I believe, and has a good reputation in WV. With Cal's cutbacks it's going to be real hard to win there anytime soon. The massive following of the 90s is long gone, scholarships are down and you have to compete with some real wealthy programs in the West.
                          I would imagine whom ever interviews for the WJ position will be told what the violation is. If not told, it certainly would be one of the first questions they should ask. Coaches probably have a pretty good idea what violations will cost in the form of scholarships. If the violation is likely to result in the loss of a significant number of schollys, the coach can say, thanks, pass.

Curious how the NCAA would administer scholly penalties to a D2 that is not up at the scholly limit? Say a football team that traditionally funds 10 schollys had a violation that the NCAA assessed a 2 scholly penalty for. Would the school be restricted to 8 schollys OR would they be restricted to no more than 34 schollys (which in effect would be no penalty)?

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                            I would imagine whom ever interviews for the WJ position will be told what the violation is. If not told, it certainly would be one of the first questions they should ask. Coaches probably have a pretty good idea what violations will cost in the form of scholarships. If the violation is likely to result in the loss of a significant number of schollys, the coach can say, thanks, pass.

Curious how the NCAA would administer scholly penalties to a D2 that is not up at the scholly limit? Say a football team that traditionally funds 10 schollys had a violation that the NCAA assessed a 2 scholly penalty for. Would the school be restricted to 8 schollys OR would they be restricted to no more than 34 schollys (which in effect would be no penalty)?
                            Good questions. They might go the no mec tournament and no NCAA tournament route or allow players to transfer without restriction. Firing coach is a strong penalty in its own right. Be interesting to see how this plays out. Wonder if it becomes public record at NCAA at some point?

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                              Good questions. They might go the no mec tournament and no NCAA tournament route or allow players to transfer without restriction. Firing coach is a strong penalty in its own right. Be interesting to see how this plays out. Wonder if it becomes public record at NCAA at some point?
                              Depending on the timing of the violation, they could also have to vacate their MEC Tournament Title.

Comment

According to certain social media and being posted on other sites, it appears that the violations occurred in 2011. It is 2018.

I don't know if this information is correct or not. But if true, it appears information is being leaked out gradually by certain parties. If true, and I emphasize "if", then it appears someone up there has it in for him.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X