Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SRU

Norman Dale told Jimmy he didn't care if he played on the team or not.

Comment

Too bad they don't have a Jimmy Chitwood at SRU that will stand up and say "if I play coach stays, if he goes I go." Then maybe they would re-vote and keep Coach Reynolds.

Comment

I just laughed out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtybird View Post
          Too bad they don't have a Jimmy Chitwood at SRU that will stand up and say "if I play coach stays, if he goes I go." Then maybe they would re-vote and keep Coach Reynolds.
          Lol

Comment

Last edited by boatcapt; 12-14-2018, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
              I think Huggins penalty is only 30 secs if I recall correctly. Real bikes and horse are two different architectures compared to fitness cycle. Where is a mech. Engineer or human physiology or exercise major when we need them!
              Lol
              If a Huggins player can stay on the treadmill for 4 minutes, then you call USA Track & Field. lol

Comment

• Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                  I'm saying they're intentionally targeting Pell Grant eligible recruits because that's free money. This year's Pell Grant amount is $6,059. Right off the bat you're subtracting $6,100 just because the kid's parents don't make a lot of money. If he's a good student, having a 3.7+ GPA and a 1,200 SAT gets you a $7,500 scholarship at West Liberty, and you're already covering nearly the entire cost. Its why PSAC schools are much more successful recruiting kids from lower income high schools and not the big upper middle class suburban high schools. Just for being from a lower income family you get free federal money for college. In PA the same students get an additional $3,300 from PHEAA.
                  I seem to recall other schools across the country using the same approach, in that they'll recruit talented players from families from, for lack of a better way to say it, lower income brackets (not necessarily saying exclusively targeting kids from the inner city, but not all kids in the suburbs have parents making a ton of money, either). When I was at the 2015 national football title game, that's what one Northwest Missouri fan was suggesting about the players they were getting (though, Northwest Missouri, if I'm not mistaken, can use state funding for scholarships as other state schools in Missouri can).
                  Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                    I seem to recall other schools across the country using the same approach, in that they'll recruit talented players from families from, for lack of a better way to say it, lower income brackets (not necessarily saying exclusively targeting kids from the inner city, but not all kids in the suburbs have parents making a ton of money, either). When I was at the 2015 national football title game, that's what one Northwest Missouri fan was suggesting about the players they were getting (though, Northwest Missouri, if I'm not mistaken, can use state funding for scholarships as other state schools in Missouri can).
                    FYI total family income for pell grant cannot exceed $50k. Majority of Pells go to families < $20k.
                    Source:
                    https://www.scholarships.com/financi...ederal-grants/

Comment

...would Kevin Reynolds recruit Jimmy Chitwood?

Comment

To chime in on the defense stuff here, I think people, not just this board, make a big deal about points scored and points allowed; I know you have to score to win. But that isn't the numbers that you should focus on. A good defensive effort is predicated on %. In most cases, if you hold your opponents under 42% from the field and 31% from three, it has been a good defensive night; those numbers consistently bear out. There are some teams that play really fast and give up more points, but that is because their pace of play is so high. I think points scored and allowed isn't the biggest tell in determining if it was a good defensive night. Look at the percentages.

Comment

Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
                          ...would Kevin Reynolds recruit Jimmy Chitwood?
                          Only if he was bounced from his first program and played one year at a JUCO first!!

Comment

Originally posted by PSAC76 View Post
                            To chime in on the defense stuff here, I think people, not just this board, make a big deal about points scored and points allowed; I know you have to score to win. But that isn't the numbers that you should focus on. A good defensive effort is predicated on %. In most cases, if you hold your opponents under 42% from the field and 31% from three, it has been a good defensive night; those numbers consistently bear out. There are some teams that play really fast and give up more points, but that is because their pace of play is so high. I think points scored and allowed isn't the biggest tell in determining if it was a good defensive night. Look at the percentages.
                            I think your approach would be a good indicator for most styles of basketball. However, it does not take into account turnovers.

Looking at it from a game theory perspective, isn't the purpose of defense to limit the average points per offensive possession of the opponent?
                            A possession can result in:
                            1) made 1 point, 2 point or 3 point or 4 point shot,
                            2) one or more missed shots for zero points
                            3) turnover or
                            4) time expiration like end of half.

As you said, more possessions means more points for both teams.

I'm not sure how to precisely compute number of offensive possessions without processing the play-by play account of the game. Complication factor is And-1 plays for scenario 1.
                            Also a missed shot that goes to the other team can either be due to a defensive rebound or the missed shot going out of bounds, which is probably not considered a turnover.
                            Probably there are some other cases.

There are many strategies for minimizing the average points per possession of your opponent while maximizing your team's average points per possession.
                            All styles can be successful, depending on the execution.

WLU does the defensive full-court trapping approach on makes and misses to create turnovers and fatigue (which will hopefully lower shooting percentage and create unforced errors), while giving up some dunks and layups on run outs.

WLU tries to optimize its return on possession by recruiting players who are deadly three point shooters (everyone has the green light on an open 3) who are fundamentally sound, unselfish and interchangeable (except maybe for PG) in order to take the first great (open) shot, which, if the shot is made, allows them to apply pressure on defense. On the other hand they give up size and strength, which increases opponent's percentage because they get in the paint as well as the run-outs. If WLU is cold and the 3 pt shot is open and missed, then the pendulum swings toward the opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                              I think your approach would be a good indicator for most styles of basketball. However, it does not take into account turnovers.

Looking at it from a game theory perspective, isn't the purpose of defense to limit the average points per offensive possession of the opponent?
                              A possession can result in:
                              1) made 1 point, 2 point or 3 point or 4 point shot,
                              2) one or more missed shots for zero points
                              3) turnover or
                              4) time expiration like end of half.

As you said, more possessions means more points for both teams.

I'm not sure how to precisely compute number of offensive possessions without processing the play-by play account of the game. Complication factor is And-1 plays for scenario 1.
                              Also a missed shot that goes to the other team can either be due to a defensive rebound or the missed shot going out of bounds, which is probably not considered a turnover.
                              Probably there are some other cases.

There are many strategies for minimizing the average points per possession of your opponent while maximizing your team's average points per possession.
                              All styles can be successful, depending on the execution.

WLU does the defensive full-court trapping approach on makes and misses to create turnovers and fatigue (which will hopefully lower shooting percentage and create unforced errors), while giving up some dunks and layups on run outs.

WLU tries to optimize its return on possession by recruiting players who are deadly three point shooters (everyone has the green light on an open 3) who are fundamentally sound, unselfish and interchangeable (except maybe for PG) in order to take the first great (open) shot, which, if the shot is made, allows them to apply pressure on defense. On the other hand they give up size and strength, which increases opponent's percentage because they get in the paint as well as the run-outs. If WLU is cold and the 3 pt shot is open and missed, then the pendulum swings toward the opponent.
                              I would completely agree on the efficiency and points per poss, as well as your points about turnovers. My overarching point was that too many times we just look at scoring and make a determination that points per game is what defines a good offense or defense. To calculate possessions, I believe the formula is...

FGA - OFF REB + TO's + (FTA / .600) = TOT POSS

Then you just divide the points by poss and that gives you the efficiency

Comment

We fans, myself included, always want the easy answer to what are really complex questions. Does my team play good defense or offense are just two of the questions we tend to dumb down. Just because a team scores a lot of points doesn't mean that they are a good offensive team...just because a teams opponent doesn't score 50 points doesn't mean that the team played great defense...just because two teams play a 106-105 game doesn't mean that both teams played great offense...and just because two teams play a 50-52 game doesn't mean that both teams play great D.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X