• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #FreeKevinReynolds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Re: SRU

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
      Exactly. Mercedes S Class is routinely one of the highest rated cars but I don't mortgage my future to have one because it doesn't make me a better driver. I drive my wife's Elantra to work three days a week. Gets me to work just as well as my coworker's Jaguar. Gallup has proven that when given equal opportunity (same job, same experience) it doesn't matter where you went. It's fit. But the media promotes the perceived prestige.

IUP can be just as good if not better for someone than Penn State. A small town country boy could have catastrophic culture shock attending Carnegie Mellon.
      Amen! I would add that in most jobs, it really doesn't matter IF you went to college or not. Some of the smartest, most productive people that have worked for me either had no college or a very limited amount...and some of the laziest under producers had degrees from some pretty well regarded colleges.

CNBC kind of reported on this in 2017:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/19/surv...ge-degree.html

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Most D2 assistants make like $25,000 a year. Not easy to hire good ones (or keep them).
        PSAC state school full time top assistants make in the range of 45k - 50k. I think it is partly driven by the union contract. Grady, for example, made $50,142 as Reynolds' top assistant. Payne at IUP makes $47,297. Cal U ass't Bridgeman makes $48,000. Chris Bess as the top women's ass't at Edinboro makes $53,257. Not sure what the salary will be for the new SRU asst but I would put it in the $45,000 range.

Comment

Originally posted by PSACwatcher View Post
          PSAC state school full time top assistants make in the range of 45k - 50k. I think it is partly driven by the union contract. Grady, for example, made $50,142 as Reynolds' top assistant. Payne at IUP makes $47,297. Cal U ass't Bridgeman makes $48,000. Chris Bess as the top women's ass't at Edinboro makes $53,257. Not sure what the salary will be for the new SRU asst but I would put it in the $45,000 range.

Curious how then did Clarion get away with paying their former head coach just a reported $50,000 per ?

Comment

Curious how then did Clarion get away with paying their former head coach just a reported $50,000 per ?
            Oh you didn't know? Coach Al was the assistant there working strictly pro bono... he's reportedly lived out of his car for years. The legendary Ron Righter convinced him to do so. Talk about a man of persuasion.

Comment

Originally posted by PSACfan1 View Post
              Oh you didn't know? Coach Al was the assistant there working strictly pro bono... he's reportedly lived out of his car for years. The legendary Ron Righter convinced him to do so. Talk about a man of persuasion.

That still doesn't answer how PSAC West assistants were making he same as the Clarion head coach (within the union guidelines) ?

Comment

Marcess Williams was making 54k. Al was making 58k as his ass't.

The union contract has minimum salaries for head and ass't coaches. https://www.passhe.edu/inside/HR/LR/...oaches_agr.pdf The minimum salary for a head coach is 40k. Minimum salary for an ass't coach is 35k. Negotiated % increases kick in thereafter. Marcess salary of 54k is above the minimum salary for a head coach.

No idea why Clarion paid Marcess 54k except possibly that they negotiated and he wanted the job.

Comment

Most D2 assistants make like $25,000 a year. Not easy to hire good ones (or keep them).
                  Originally posted by PSACwatcher View Post
                  Marcess Williams was making 54k. Al was making 58k as his ass't.

The union contract has minimum salaries for head and ass't coaches. https://www.passhe.edu/inside/HR/LR/...oaches_agr.pdf The minimum salary for a head coach is 40k. Minimum salary for an ass't coach is 35k. Negotiated % increases kick in thereafter. Marcess salary of 54k is above the minimum salary for a head coach.

No idea why Clarion paid Marcess 54k except possibly that they negotiated and he wanted the job.
                  Based on what you've said regarding min salary for assistant coach isn't jiving with the quote above stating that 25k is about what they make.. nevertheless it's safe to assume Marcess respected that Al was a longtime staffer under Righter and didn't want to come in and step on any toes. However, I still feel like Grady and SRU could have made a better hire for an assistant. I'm just surprised that they didn't opt for a coach who could help Grady with his early development as "the man"

Comment

Based on what you've said regarding min salary for assistant coach isn't jiving with the quote above stating that 25k is about what they make.. nevertheless it's safe to assume Marcess respected that Al was a longtime staffer under Righter and didn't want to come in and step on any toes. However, I still feel like Grady and SRU could have made a better hire for an assistant. I'm just surprised that they didn't opt for a coach who could help Grady with his early development as "the man"
                    I was off. That's higher than I had always heard but nonethless still a tough way to make a living. It's typically why most of the assistants in D2 are in their 20s.

Grady also probably had to hire somebody on the lowest end of the pay scale being that SRU is paying KR to watch IUP games at the KCAC for the next three years.

Comment

I was off. That's higher than I had always heard but nonethless still a tough way to make a living. It's typically why most of the assistants in D2 are in their 20s.

Grady also probably had to hire somebody on the lowest end of the pay scale being that SRU is paying KR to watch IUP games at the KCAC for the next three years.
                      I agree most definitely. It just seems that as an SRU guy myself, one could only think that this could potentially be the beginning of what some could call a revolving door so to speak in terms of the coaching position there. You truly can't put a price on the security and assurance of knowing who the head guy will be year in and year out. This entire KR saga could perhaps be the beginning of the end of Paul Lueken's tenure as AD at The Rock as well considering how things have went down. Although, I don't wish that on Paul, he's a good guy but once a snowball like this gets rolling it doesn't well.

Comment

I agree most definitely. It just seems that as an SRU guy myself, one could only think that this could potentially be the beginning of what some could call a revolving door so to speak in terms of the coaching position there. You truly can't put a price on the security and assurance of knowing who the head guy will be year in and year out. This entire KR saga could perhaps be the beginning of the end of Paul Lueken's tenure as AD at The Rock as well considering how things have went down. Although, I don't wish that on Paul, he's a good guy but once a snowball like this gets rolling it doesn't well.

It's a tough gig there in a lot of ways. Men's basketball at SRU gets treated like the ugly stepchild compared to football. Morrow Field House is outdated by about 35 years. At best, they get below-average crowds. IUP usually draws nice up there on the years students are on campus. This coming season IUP visits over break -- which will likely be at least half IUP crowd.

Comment

It's a tough gig there in a lot of ways. Men's basketball at SRU gets treated like the ugly stepchild compared to football. Morrow Field House is outdated by about 35 years. At best, they get below-average crowds. IUP usually draws nice up there on the years students are on campus. This coming season IUP visits over break -- which will likely be at least half IUP crowd.
                          Great point about Morrow, definitely needs an upgrade for sure. However, the university's preferential treatment for football is much deserved.. as it is on most DI, DII university communities. The SRU-IUP rivalry is always a great watch whether it be on the gridiron or the hardwood - I don't see that changing for the foreseeable future.

Comment

• Comment

If you recall even as great a coach as BOBBY KNIGHT wore out his welcome eventually. Some of these coaches get away with so much they begin to believe they can't be touched. Obviously not the case.

Comment

But imagine if SRU's Till lead mercenaries had not revolted. They probably would have won 6 more games last year and would have been comfortably in the NCAA tourney and KR would be building another team this year with a good shot at going back to the tourney again.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X