Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Big one for H2P today. Clemson is tough.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Brawl last night in Moon Township between Jacksonville and Bob's School of Business. More asses on the court than in the seats.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    That Curt Cignetti magic extends to the basketball court as JMU stuns Michigan State on opening night.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's not a good look to lose -- especially at Louisville (where they lost to a D2 last year, too).

Joe's complained for years he cannot get a D1 game in Western PA. They won't play him. So, there certainly is some fear of losing these games. IUP has tried to play Duquesne, Bobby Mo and St. Francis forever with no luck.

IUP beat Niagara in a 'scrimmage' last year and defeated Morehead State in a similar scrimmage a couple years prior. In most years, the top teams in the Atlantic could hang/beat a lot of lower level D1 programs.

Recall the IUP women actually won at Pitt 5 years ago. I said it that night they'd never, ever be invited back. They haven't.
    Funny thing about women's basketball is that years ago when I was in college there wasn't really an NCAA program for women and one college was as likely to be good as another as nobody was out there scouring the bushes for great female athletes. We had excellent women's teams at Ship when I was there in the '60s. Only played about 10 games a year and went 38-2 in the four years I was there. Ship beat both Penn State and Maryland during that time, and that wasn't against branch campus teams. Hard to imagine that happening now.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I think a lot of DI coaches really see these as glorified practices and don't really do much other than run the playbook against actual competition instead of practice players. So that leaves them exposed for an upset - one that they don't really care about.
    It's not a good look to lose -- especially at Louisville (where they lost to a D2 last year, too).

Joe's complained for years he cannot get a D1 game in Western PA. They won't play him. So, there certainly is some fear of losing these games. IUP has tried to play Duquesne, Bobby Mo and St. Francis forever with no luck.

IUP beat Niagara in a 'scrimmage' last year and defeated Morehead State in a similar scrimmage a couple years prior. In most years, the top teams in the Atlantic could hang/beat a lot of lower level D1 programs.

Recall the IUP women actually won at Pitt 5 years ago. I said it that night they'd never, ever be invited back. They haven't.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

I think a lot of DI coaches really see these as glorified practices and don't really do much other than run the playbook against actual competition instead of practice players. So that leaves them exposed for an upset - one that they don't really care about.
    Louisville has just been a bad basketball team the past couple of years and is going to get crushed in the ACC again. They might have lost that one on merit. If the D1 schools don't care, I'm sure the D2 schools are glad to take the win.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
    Interesting to read in recent weeks that Division II Pace took an exhibition win over the St. John's team now coached by Rick Pitino and that Louisville was defeated by Division II Kentucky Wesleyan in another exhibition. Louisville has really fallen off a cliff.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Interesting to read in recent weeks that Division II Pace took an exhibition win over the St. John's team now coached by Rick Pitino and that Louisville was defeated by Division II Kentucky Wesleyan in another exhibition. Louisville has really fallen off a cliff.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Yep. You walk into the admissions office at a regional state college and tell them you're a successful alum and your kid is interested in attending but doesn't have the marks, they're probably not getting in. At a handful of colleges worked at, the least intelligent student I've ever interacted with (to the point I looked up their admissions info) was a star D1 athlete at a private school.
    IMHO The current structure for d1 is an academic sham, which exploits many athletes. They could remove the hypocrisy by allowing them to play full time and defer college. Then in 4 or 5 years give them a trust fund like a GI bill to use for education anywhere, whether college or trade school.
    Last edited by Columbuseer; 11-02-2023, 04:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

They also have different standards for sons and daughters of Yale andHarvard Grads, which make up 20-30% of students. Imho that is one reason we have so many mediocre thinkers in high appointed government policy making positions.
    Yep. You walk into the admissions office at a regional state college and tell them you're a successful alum and your kid is interested in attending but doesn't have the marks, they're probably not getting in. At a handful of colleges worked at, the least intelligent student I've ever interacted with (to the point I looked up their admissions info) was a star D1 athlete at a private school.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    The academic elite schools have a lower standard for athletes, even Harvard and the service academies. Usually it's a a couple standard deviations from the usual standard. I've seen one B1G school and another SEC school both with high standards that use a rubric that uses SAT and GPA to determine yes/no/ask for permission. They can also bank on an instant support system from the team plus the now standard D1 academic support personnel in place exclusively for athletes.
    They also have different standards for sons and daughters of Yale and Harvard Grads, which make up 20-30% of students. Imho that is one reason we have so many mediocre thinkers in high appointed government policy making positions.
    Last edited by Columbuseer; 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    Bob Knight died yesterday. It’s a complicated legacy he leaves since just as many people will remember him as a jerk and bully as will remember him as a brilliant basketball coach. Just a few years ago on the Dan Patrick show, he basically wished death upon anyone who had to do with his ouster at Indiana. But of course scores of former players will sing his praises. I still remember finding a copy of Season on the Brink in the school library in 7th grade. It’s still one of my favorite reads, even beyond the F-bomb laden passages that made my friends and I laugh.
    He is an extremely controversial figure and that doesn't play well in today's tribal America, where everything is black and white. He often emotionally abused his players, and he couldn't get away with a lot of his stuff these days, but yet almost all his players graduated over 30 years and most continued to speak well of him after they left Indiana. As one of the guys who hired him for a high school job once said, he could be very charming one day and the world's biggest horse's ass the next. Did he do worse by his players than more genial coaches with graduation rates of 30-40 percent? His flaws were probably accentuated by the fact that he was very successful at a relatively young age, which confirmed his inflated opinion about himself. In the end, like Woody Hayes at Ohio State, he was his own worst enemy.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    Bob Knight died yesterday. It’s a complicated legacy he leaves since just as many people will remember him as a jerk and bully as will remember him as a brilliant basketball coach. Just a few years ago on the Dan Patrick show, he basically wished death upon anyone who had to do with his ouster at Indiana. But of course scores of former players will sing his praises. I still remember finding a copy of Season on the Brink in the school library in 7th grade. It’s still one of my favorite reads, even beyond the F-bomb laden passages that made my friends and I laugh.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Turns out we were both right. The school's Title IX process from the incident took some time. The university's conduct board kicked him out. He appealed but it was upheld. The federal rules on how colleges respond to sexual misconduct are significant.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/202309030082

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    The academic elite schools have a lower standard for athletes, even Harvard and the service academies. Usually it's a a couple standard deviations from the usual standard. I've seen one B1G school and another SEC school both with high standards that use a rubric that uses SAT and GPA to determine yes/no/ask for permission. They can also bank on an instant support system from the team plus the now standard D1 academic support personnel in place exclusively for athletes.
    They all give breaks — some a lot more than others.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X