Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Honestly that's a good question. Maybe New Haven? They don't really want to come east and they need a football member. But the NE-10 well is running dry.

This didn't take long ... just saw IUP mentioned as a target.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

This didn't take long ... just saw IUP mentioned as a target.
      I'd be shocked. Outside of basketball, IUP isn't funding anywhere near the D2 limits in any sport. Since they can't coupon their way to the D2 limits, doesn't make sense to join a league where everyone else is playing with Monopoly money.

Comment

I'd be shocked. Outside of basketball, IUP isn't funding anywhere near the D2 limits in any sport. Since they can't coupon their way to the D2 limits, doesn't make sense to join a league where everyone else is playing with Monopoly money.
        They aren't going anywhere. But ... logical choice in the rumor-mill.

Comment

• Big news out of Oakland this afternoon as Pitt lands a top transfer in SG Nike Sibande out of Miami of Ohio. Sibande started 94 out of 97 games the past three seasons for Miami and averaged an impressive 15 ppg scoring clip as well as 5 boards per game. He is 6-4 and plays primarily at the two or three position. He shot only 33 percent from behind the arc but a look at the tape shows that he earns his crust by focusing on being a penetrator to the hoop. He is a darn good one, too. Very impressive athleticism to say the least. The only down side is that he is NOT a grad transfer and his availability this season would hinge upon Pitt being granted a waiver for him to play. With the Covid-19 crisis going on anything is possible I suppose.

But a VERY NICE get for Jeff Capel and company!

-

Comment

• A few Pitt hoops tidbits to add---

-Newly signed transfer Nike Sibande will wear #22 for the Panthers (wore #1 for Miami). He is putting in for a waiver from the NCAA to gain eligibility for this season.

-2022 Pitt commit and top 40 national recruit PG Jalen Hood-Schifino is transferring to Montverde Academy for his last two years of high school. Although I am sure many Pitt fans will be hopeful of him reclassifying after this season.

-Pitt hoops players are currently slated to return to campus on July 20 and to be able to work out with the coaching staff.

-

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
              A few Pitt hoops tidbits to add---

-Newly signed transfer Nike Sibande will wear #22 for the Panthers (wore #1 for Miami). He is putting in for a waiver from the NCAA to gain eligibility for this season.

-2022 Pitt commit and top 40 national recruit Jalen Hood-Schifino is transferring to Montverde Academy for his last two years of high school. Although I am sure many Pitt fans will be hopeful of him reclassifying after this season.

-Pitt hoops players are currently slated to return to campus on July 20 and to be able to work out with the coaching staff.

-
              Sibande would be a huge addition this season.

Comment

Sibande would be a huge addition this season.
                Absolutely! And then there is part of me that would actually like to save him for 2021-22 when Pitt is likely a bona fide NCAA tourney team. Plus, the way things are going with all the Covid stuff this might not be a bad season for players to sit out to be honest.

-

Comment

• Pitt's players can report this weekend.

"Voluntary" workouts can start next week.

Comment

Pitt's players can report this weekend.

"Voluntary" workouts can start next week.
                    I thought I read that somewhere a week or two back. But then thought it was just football players. Hope you're right. They really need to get those New York guys out of Covid-19 Central. I think July 20 is the official date when teams can start formally working out together.

-

Comment

• New Haven is kicking the tires on a move to D1

https://www.courant.com/sports/colle...7vu-story.html

Comment

New Haven is kicking the tires on a move to D1

https://www.courant.com/sports/colle...7vu-story.html
                        Sounds like a matter of time.

I wish another school I know would consider it again.

Comment

• Hood-Schifino decommitted from Pitt. His recruitment is open.

Comment

• Let's get caught up on some Pitt men's basketball happenings after a bit of a summer hiatus.

-As stated above----2022 PG Jalen Hood-Schfino has indeed backed off from his early commitment to the Pitt program. I actually think that he is being prudent to do so. He was entirely too young with being 15 and halfway through his high school sophomore year to make such a decision. He still maintains that Pitt remains atop his list but it is not very often that someone de-commits from a program to recommit later on. Time will tell. But he is a very young man with just starting his junior year of high school. He is doing the wise thing to reopen his recruitment at this point.

-Some names that were linked to Pitt as possible signees are going off the market rather quickly here this summer. SG Jordan Hawkins out of DeMatha has opted to go with UConn as has St. Patrick's C Samson Johnson. SG Malakai Branham out of St. Vincent-St. Mary has done as many crystal ballers expected and committed to Ohio State.

-Two players who are making decisions this week and who each have Pitt in their list of finalists are SGs Brandon Weston (out of Brooklyn and who recently transferred to Hillcrest Academy in Arizona) and West Virginia's David Jones aka Davey Jones but spells it differently (Deivi) than the former Monkee. He hails out of Teays Valley and is a bit taller than the diminutive former musical Davey Jones. According to the reputable crystal baller crowd they have Weston going with Seton Hall and Jones with Illinois. I suppose we can label the pursuit of the latter man as "Getting Davey Jones" after the immortal 1971 Brady Bunch episode.

My own guess here is that Pitt is likely not willing to take on either man at this point in time with only one current available scholarship slated for next year (but certainly that could change quite a bit). We know Pitt is all in on a few bigs (see below) and there is no way they are going to take on a commit of a wing or SG before the frost has even had a chance to climb upon the pumpkins. I know that Weston is announcing on Tuesday September 1.

-Pitt continues its dogged pursuit of a blue chip center. 7-0 Efton Reid out of Richmond and headed for IMG Academy in Florida is said to have Pitt on his list of finalists along with Ohio State and Michigan and perhaps a few others. 6-11 Franck Kepnang out of Westtown is also very high on Jeff Capel's wish list.

-Certainly one bad thing that has happened recently at Pitt is the motor scooter accident of freshman guard Femi Odukale which resulted in a broken arm in Oakland traffic. He is expected to make a full recovery and is hoped to be back for the beginning of the season. Hopefully Capel will curtail how these guys travel around town and campus down there. I was driving down in Oakland about a month ago and it was just nuts down there. Cars zooming everywhere and several traffic lights not working. We can probably be thankful that the young man was not hurt much worse than what he was.

Unfortunately I don't have much access to any inside info on how the new players look or how the team in general looks as all the old booster alums I know are basically locked out of everything due to the pandemic.

Comment

• A few more notes to add----

-Sad news in that former Pitt standout hoops player Demetrius Gore has passed away over the weekend. I'm assuming that he was around 54 or so as he played for Pitt from 1984-88. He was a starter on that great 1987-88 Pitt team that featured Charles Smith, Jerome Lane and Sean Miller. Gore is perhaps best remembered for the rap songs and videos that he sang about Pitt basketball his final two seasons. "Pitt's on the Rise" was done his junior year while "Pitt Has Arrived" was put out his senior season. They were great fun for the fans and really added something extra to a very special team. Rappin' Demetrius will be greatly missed!

-Also making the obituary page of major college basketball in recent days was former legendary Arizona coach Lute Olson. Interestingly, Olson actually did spend some time here in Indiana County some years back after his marriage to a local woman.

-It looks like it is official with news that Brandon Weston has committed to Seton Hall this weekend.

-Deivi Jones looks like he could send word down tomorrow on his choice of school. Many insiders feel it will be Illinois or DePaul.

Watched some video of class of 2022 California native G Mikey Williams working out in a makeshift gym necessitated by the pandemic and Wow! Jalen Hood-Schfino who?? Williams already holds a Pitt offer.
                              Last edited by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS; 08-30-2020, 07:51 PM.

Comment

• Another sad passing and monumental loss for the ranks of D-I college basketball with news of legendary Georgetown Hoyas coach John Thompson dying at the age of 78. The man was such an iconic figure during his time on the Hoya bench. From Patrick Ewing, the national title in '84 and of course having the white towel always draped on his shoulder. They didn't come any bigger or better than John Thompson. Same with the aforementioned Lute Olson. Truly unforgetable guys.

Deivi Jones announced his intentions today. The pick was DePaul. They will be the ones getting Deivi Jones.

Pitt recruiting is likely to focus on getting that impact center at this time.

-

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X