Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's get caught up on a few more Pitt hoops happenings as we are now a week away from the opening tip of the season.

-Pitt will open next Wednesday (November 25) as they host the St. Francis Red Flash for a 7 PM tip at the Pete. It will be a fantastic and exciting opportunity to get a look at Jeff Capel's stellar 2020 recruiting class. John Hugley, Noah Collier, Femi Odukale, Will Jeffress, and Max Amadasun are names that should reverberate through the Pitt program the next four years. The game is being televised on RSN (AT&T Pittsburgh). Tune in to see the Panthers Thrash the Red Flash!

-It seems that coveted Finland product Mustapha Amzil has inked with Dayton and will begin playing with the Flyers in January as he bypasses First Love Christian Academy. Pitt has batted at .000 thus far in recruiting with a number of what were thought to be hot prospects opting to commit elsewhere. Franck Kepnang (Oregon), Brandon Weston (Seton Hill), Devei Jones (DePaul), Roddy Gayle (Ohio State), and Jaquan Carlos (Hofstra). But it may not be as bad as one may think as Capel and staff are no doubt being very deliberate with only one current scholarship available for the class of 2021.

-It is certainly very understandable the disappointment that all PSAC fans must feel at the cancelation of their season at this point in time. These are indeed trying times. But hey....why not give Pitt a try and see what they can pull together with a young but talented team this winter.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
      Let's get caught up on a few more Pitt hoops happenings as we are now a week away from the opening tip of the season.

-Pitt will open next Wednesday (November 25) as they host the St. Francis Red Flash for a 7 PM tip at the Pete. It will be a fantastic and exciting opportunity to get a look at Jeff Capel's stellar 2020 recruiting class. John Hugley, Noah Collier, Femi Odukale, Will Jeffress, and Max Amadasun are names that should reverberate through the Pitt program the next four years. The game is being televised on RSN (AT&T Pittsburgh). Tune in to see the Panthers Thrash the Red Flash!

-It seems that coveted Finland product Mustapha Amzil has inked with Dayton and will begin playing with the Flyers in January as he bypasses First Love Christian Academy. Pitt has batted at .000 thus far in recruiting with a number of what were thought to be hot prospects opting to commit elsewhere. Franck Kepnang (Oregon), Brandon Weston (Seton Hill), Devei Jones (DePaul), Roddy Gayle (Ohio State), and Jaquan Carlos (Hofstra). But it may not be as bad as one may think as Capel and staff are no doubt being very deliberate with only one current scholarship available for the class of 2021.

-It is certainly very understandable the disappointment that all PSAC fans must feel at the cancelation of their season at this point in time. These are indeed trying times. But hey....why not give Pitt a try and see what they can pull together with a young but talented team this winter.
      SPARTY!!!!!!!!!

You do realize Will Jeffress will 99.9% be sitting out this year right?

Comment

Let's get caught up on a few more Pitt hoops happenings as we are now a week away from the opening tip of the season.

It's always baffled me IUP hasn't gotten a lot of transfers (any) from Saint Francis (football or basketball). All their students (those who 'go out') hang out in Indiana on Friday and Saturday nights. Obviously there's not a thing to do in Loretto.

It's also odd in all the D1 exhibition's Joe has done over the years that he's never played Saint Francis. I know it's been mentioned that Joe can't get a game in Western PA anymore against any D1 programs. I remember IUP Football playing them in an exhibition maybe a decade or so ago. It was a blood bath. I think in a real game IUP would have won that day about 70-7. Since then things have changed at SFU (scholarship-wise).

Same with Tom. He, like Joe, coached there for a long time. Saint Francis did play -- and lose -- to Seton Hill last year in women's basketball (exhibition).

I've been tempted to make the short drive up there from Indiana to watch a game but never have. It's funny. Visit the two campuses and two basketball arena's ... you sure wouldn't pick one as being D1 and the other as D2. lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

SPARTY!!!!!!!!!

You do realize Will Jeffress will 99.9% be sitting out this year right?
          I actually have not heard that about young Will but being that he is a mere 17 years old you never know. Details are just so scarce out of Oakland with the pandemic shutting everything down.

Michigan State is a fine program to follow.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's always baffled me IUP hasn't gotten a lot of transfers (any) from Saint Francis (football or basketball). All their students (those who 'go out') hang out in Indiana on Friday and Saturday nights. Obviously there's not a thing to do in Loretto.

It's also odd in all the D1 exhibition's Joe has done over the years that he's never played Saint Francis. I know it's been mentioned that Joe can't get a game in Western PA anymore against any D1 programs. I remember IUP Football playing them in an exhibition maybe a decade or so ago. It was a blood bath. I think in a real game IUP would have won that day about 70-7. Since then things have changed at SFU (scholarship-wise).

Same with Tom. He, like Joe, coached there for a long time. Saint Francis did play -- and lose -- to Seton Hill last year in women's basketball (exhibition).

I've been tempted to make the short drive up there from Indiana to watch a game but never have. It's funny. Visit the two campuses and two basketball arena's ... you sure wouldn't pick one as being D1 and the other as D2. lol.
            You are on the money here. About five years ago I took a drive out to the St. Francis campus and was simply shocked out of my wits how there is absolutely nothing at all there in Loretto. Granted that i enjoy country living and a slower pace of life----but I think that I would go insane being there. There is NOTHING!

Also, a good point about the basketball programs. Yeah, it would be a no brainer to assume that IUP was the D-I school.

I thought about going over to St. Francis for a hoops game about a decade ago to see the Hurley brothers when they were coming to town with their Wagner team. But even their star power was not enough of a pull factor to interest me to go over that way.

I am not that surprised very much about the lack of a St. Francis to IUP transfer connection to be honest. The last transfers from St. Francis to IUP that I can think of was way back like in 2002 or so when WBB players Jordin Schaffner and Lauren Canavan came to town.

Comment

You are on the money here. About five years ago I took a drive out to the St. Francis campus and was simply shocked out of my wits how there is absolutely nothing at all there in Loretto. Granted that i enjoy country living and a slower pace of life----but I think that I would go insane being there. There is NOTHING!

Also, a good point about the basketball programs. Yeah, it would be a no brainer to assume that IUP was the D-I school.

I thought about going over to St. Francis for a hoops game about a decade ago to see the Hurley brothers when they were coming to town with their Wagner team. But even their star power was not enough of a pull factor to interest me to go over that way.

I am not that surprised very much about the lack of a St. Francis to IUP transfer connection to be honest. The last transfers from St. Francis to IUP that I can think of was way back like in 2002 or so when WBB players Jordin Schaffner and Lauren Canavan came to town.
              That drive back to Indiana at say 10pm on a January night from up there can give some serious white knuckles, too. That's a rough stetch getting up and down that mountain.

Comment

That drive back to Indiana at say 10pm on a January night from up there can give some serious white knuckles, too. That's a rough stetch getting up and down that mountain.
                Yeah, Ebensburg, Carolltown areas are real good to avoid during the winter time. There is a highway they call Ridge Road that basically winds along on a mountain top that is notorious for its winter driving hazards of drifting, icy patches and whiteouts.

Comment

Yeah, Ebensburg, Carolltown areas are real good to avoid during the winter time. There is a highway they call Ridge Road that basically winds along on a mountain top that is notorious for its winter driving hazards of drifting, icy patches and whiteouts.
                  Worst I ever got stuck in was after an IUP at Clarion basketball game about 5-6 years back.

Forecast was good. Then about 945pm all heck broke loose up there. I made it from Clarion to Brookeville (normally takes 20 minutes) in about 70 minutes ... got a room in Brookville. Next morning it was like nothing happened. Up in the mountains that stuff can just bomb you in a hurry. I remember being on 80 and couldn't see 2' in front of me.

There's nights when IUP plays at UPJ ... I have no idea how that bus gets back to Indiana.

Comment

I actually have not heard that about young Will but being that he is a mere 17 years old you never know. Details are just so scarce out of Oakland with the pandemic shutting everything down.

Michigan State is a fine program to follow.
                    When Will reclassified and signed with Pitt he was told he would be sitting a year to get bigger and stronger to get ready for an ACC grind. At his size right now, he'd get pushed around.

Comment

When Will reclassified and signed with Pitt he was told he would be sitting a year to get bigger and stronger to get ready for an ACC grind. At his size right now, he'd get pushed around.
                      I actually didn't hear that. It would make some degree of sense to be honest. But did I hear that this year would not count towards anyone's 4-years of eligibility due to the pandemic? No sure how that all plays out. Guess we will find something out come Wednesday night.

Comment

Worst I ever got stuck in was after an IUP at Clarion basketball game about 5-6 years back.

Forecast was good. Then about 945pm all heck broke loose up there. I made it from Clarion to Brookeville (normally takes 20 minutes) in about 70 minutes ... got a room in Brookville. Next morning it was like nothing happened. Up in the mountains that stuff can just bomb you in a hurry. I remember being on 80 and couldn't see 2' in front of me.

There's nights when IUP plays at UPJ ... I have no idea how that bus gets back to Indiana.
                        I only have attended IUP home games over the years. My worst drive home was early December of 2003. It was snowing some when I went to the game around five or so. Nothing too bad. I left the Field House after the women's game and just stopped in my tracks as I exited the doors. It was a full-fledged blizzard. Thankfully I only had to go about 15-20 miles or so. But it was tough going. I did make it. Next afternoon was another PSAC crossover game at IUP. Drove in and the sun was shining. Quite a difference.

Comment

I actually didn't hear that. It would make some degree of sense to be honest. But did I hear that this year would not count towards anyone's 4-years of eligibility due to the pandemic? No sure how that all plays out. Guess we will find something out come Wednesday night.
                          I think the eligibility rule is just D2. I think D1 is all normal. I could be wrong on that.

Comment

I think the eligibility rule is just D2. I think D1 is all normal. I could be wrong on that.
                            Okay, that could be. I'm really not sure. I thought somebody said that Pitt QB Kenny Pickett could play again next season beyond this his senior year. I have no idea how that works since he played 2017-2020 for four years of eligibility. Who knows, crazy world.

It will be interesting to see what goes down with Jeffress.

Comment

• Just a reminder that Pitt tips off their season tomorrow evening at 7 PM vs. St. Francis. The game will be broadcast on ATTPIT (428 on Dish Network). It should be very interesting to get a look at the 2020-21 Panther edition as well as see the freshman and new players. Still no word on the eligibility status of transfer G Nike Sibande. Personally, I would just like to save him for next season.

Some times of other Pitt games in the coming weeks----

Sat. Nov. 28 vs. Drexel 1 PM. Apparently the game is streamed on ACCNX.

Wed. Dec. 9 vs. Northwestern 9:15 PM. Game can be seen on ESPNU.

A few local notes that I wanted to add about the St. Francis men----Luke McConnell is the director of basketball operations and of course the son of IUP head WBB coach Tom McConnell. St. Francis has a guard named Ben Seidel of of Bishop McCort. Not doubt a relation to former IUP RB Dave Seidel.
                              Last edited by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS; 11-24-2020, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Just a reminder that Pitt tips off their season tomorrow evening at 7 PM vs. St. Francis. The game will be broadcast on ATTPIT (428 on Dish Network). It should be very interesting to get a look at the 2020-21 Panther edition as well as see the freshman and new players. Still no word on the eligibility status of transfer G Nike Sibande. Personally, I would just like to save him for next season.

Some times of other Pitt games in the coming weeks----

Sat. Nov. 28 vs. Drexel 1 PM. Apparently the game is streamed on ACCNX.

Wed. Dec. 9 vs. Northwestern 9:15 PM. Game can be seen on ESPNU.

A few local notes that I wanted to add about the St. Francis men----Luke McConnell is the director of basketball operations and of course the son of IUP head WBB coach Tom McConnell. St. Francis has a guard named Ben Seidel of of Bishop McCort. Not doubt a relation to former IUP RB Dave Seidel.

They better enjoy tonight.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X