Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

You’re missing the point. Given the climate of college athletics, Gannon winning a national championship doing what they did is probably the absolute worst things for programs trying to recruit, develop, and retain players, rather than just churn over an entire team in a month.

On one hand, you’re right. There were roster changes that had to be made. But traditionally, those roster changes occurred over 1-2 years with a new coach. Not a few days. The other side of that discussion is now a coach can just come in, clean house on day one - literally, and replace every single one of those guys on day via the portal. Forget a coach honoring players’ scholarships who played for the previous regime. Those days are long gone.

To EyeOfTheHawk’s point, the job security of players, not just coaches, is getting lesser by the minute. And these are the bus leagues.

Keep in mind it's not this easy. Fee hit the portal lottery. This never happens. This was a perfect storm in that he found great players who all bought in to what he was selling.

The portal is a dangerous game. Some years it works great for you. Other years it's a disaster.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Keep in mind it's not this easy. Fee hit the portal lottery. This never happens. This was a perfect storm in that he found great players who all bought in to what he was selling.

The portal is a dangerous game. Some years it works great for you. Other years it's a disaster.
      Completely agree!!! I do not think anyone including Fee, the players, or university administration saw this coming. Saw an interview with Zack Hobbs after the Regional final, where he commented that during the pre-season practices, the players were wondering if they could reach a twenty-win season. That might say it all !

Comment

Never once said it was easy. But they did what they did, and they are where they are. Sports are a copycat business.

Not sure every time a guy takes a new job we want them cutting the entire roster loose. But that’s becoming more and more common.

Comment

Never once said it was easy. But they did what they did, and they are where they are. Sports are a copycat business.

Not sure every time a guy takes a new job we want them cutting the entire roster loose. But that’s becoming more and more common.
          Team was 3-23. Keep the best (he did). The rest are gone. Not personal. That's just business.

I'd have preferred Joe cut several from this past roster.

I hear you but loyalty (both ways) is long gone.

Comment

• Jack Gohlke former D2 bench player takes down Kentucky.
            https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...b6&action=view

Comment

• I’ve watched a few of the women’s games and it’s amazing how things have changed in terms of parody in that tournament. I remember the days when there were very few competitive games until the Elite 8, and now the lower tier schools are more than holding their own early in the tournament and there are even a few upsets. That’s a good thing for women’s basketball. It’s no longer UConn and maybe one or two teams that could play with them. The women play some high quality basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
                I’ve watched a few of the women’s games and it’s amazing how things have changed in terms of parody in that tournament. I remember the days when there were very few competitive games until the Elite 8, and now the lower tier schools are more than holding their own early in the tournament and there are even a few upsets. That’s a good thing for women’s basketball. It’s no longer UConn and maybe one or two teams that could play with them. The women play some high quality basketball.
                Paraty as in on par with a men's game?

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
                  I’ve watched a few of the women’s games and it’s amazing how things have changed in terms of parody in that tournament. I remember the days when there were very few competitive games until the Elite 8, and now the lower tier schools are more than holding their own early in the tournament and there are even a few upsets. That’s a good thing for women’s basketball. It’s no longer UConn and maybe one or two teams that could play with them. The women play some high quality basketball.
                  Women’s sports at the collegiate level has taken a huge step forward over the last 10 years in terms of quality of play and popularity.

There’s been some massive stars in multiple different women’s college sports over the last few years and has helped to grow some of the sports. Some of that is aided by NIL, but a lot is due to such a meteoric rise in social media in every day life. If you pull back the curtain, you’ll find some of the highest NIL earners are also women in non-revenue sports.

Women’s gymnastics always had a big following, but Livvy Dunne has certainly put the sport into the spotlight that’s never been seen before at the collegiate level. I don’t think women’s basketball has ever been more popular than it is right now. When you have mega stars like Clark, Bueckers, Van Lith, Reese, etc., it’s helping to grow the game a ton. There’s also been an enormous amount of growth recently with women’s lacrosse and hockey as well. Both of those sports have grown so much at the college level that they have organized and pretty committed professional leagues for both as well.

If there’s anything that the social media and NIL era has done positively, it’s that it’s really helped to brand women’s sports.

Comment

Women’s sports at the collegiate level has taken a huge step forward over the last 10 years in terms of quality of play and popularity.

There’s been some massive stars in multiple different women’s college sports over the last few years and has helped to grow some of the sports. Some of that is aided by NIL, but a lot is due to such a meteoric rise in social media in every day life. If you pull back the curtain, you’ll find some of the highest NIL earners are also women in non-revenue sports.

Women’s gymnastics always had a big following, but Livvy Dunne has certainly put the sport into the spotlight that’s never been seen before at the collegiate level. I don’t think women’s basketball has ever been more popular than it is right now. When you have mega stars like Clark, Bueckers, Van Lith, Reese, etc., it’s helping to grow the game a ton. There’s also been an enormous amount of growth recently with women’s lacrosse and hockey as well. Both of those sports have grown so much at the college level that they have organized and pretty committed professional leagues for both as well.

If there’s anything that the social media and NIL era has done positively, it’s that it’s really helped to brand women’s sports.
                    Women's basketball players also tend to stay in the same place for 4-5 years so fans actually get to know them (unlike the whores and prostitutes of D1 men's basketball).

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Paraty as in on par with a men's game?
                      I wouldn’t say that. It seems to me it’s still more likely for the Grand Canyon’s, Duquesne’s, and Yale’s of the world to pull off an upset on the men’s side. My point is just that it’s becoming more common now on the women’s side.

Comment

• Duquesne pulls the trigger on Dru Joyce. This makes the Lebron-Duquesne connection even stronger. Will King James start appearing in Pittsburgh?

Comment

• College of Charleston HC took the job at Louisville

Comment

• Jerrod Calhoun leaving Youngstown State for the Cache Valley as he takes the Utah State job.

Comment

• It's amazing Clemson is still in this thing.

If you'd have told me a month ago they'd still be playing I'd have fell over laughing.

Comment

It's amazing Clemson is still in this thing.

If you'd have told me a month ago they'd still be playing I'd have fell over laughing.
                                Fun thing about tournament style championships. It’s all about when you’re playing your best. That’s why Pitt not getting in was a little disappointing. They had enough to be a Sweet 16 team, and anything can happen from there.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X