Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Charlie is a good dude. His dad built that program, but he's a typical coach's kid nepo baby. The RMU move to the Horizon and Big South has been a total disaster. The president that forced those moves (and tried paying for it by cutting the most popular program) is long gone.

Wouldn't be surprised if Cleve interviews. RMU plays its cards VERY TIGHT. There will be no leaks about this.
    Let me say upfront that I have no inside information on the professional goals of Cleve Wright. I will say that I would be surprised if he seriously considered the Robert Morris job given his personal history. His venture into lower Division One really was not a pretty picture and after being bounced from Miami of Ohio, he ended up as an assistant head coach and jumped on the idea of coming back to Gannon and the Erie community. Let's face it.........he has a pretty good thing going with Gannon and always had a measure of success to put it mildly. My guess is that Cleve is in his mid-fifties, and does he give up the security of Gannon for a shot at the "big time" of RMU? I say that not knowing how the RMU women's job is viewed in the coaching circles; maybe it's a plum and attractive? Maybe Cleve does the interview thing, but I would be surprised if he left Gannon at this point in his career for that particular opportunity. Just an opinion!

Comment

• Originally posted by gman16506 View Post

Let me say upfront that I have no inside information on the professional goals of Cleve Wright. I will say that I would be surprised if he seriously considered the Robert Morris job given his personal history. His venture into lower Division One really was not a pretty picture and after being bounced from Miami of Ohio, he ended up as an assistant head coach and jumped on the idea of coming back to Gannon and the Erie community. Let's face it.........he has a pretty good thing going with Gannon and always had a measure of success to put it mildly. My guess is that Cleve is in his mid-fifties, and does he give up the security of Gannon for a shot at the "big time" of RMU? I say that not knowing how the RMU women's job is viewed in the coaching circles; maybe it's a plum and attractive? Maybe Cleve does the interview thing, but I would be surprised if he left Gannon at this point in his career for that particular opportunity. Just an opinion!

That's obviously the Catch 22.

Robert Morris is not a good D1 job. For starters, it's third-fiddle in Pittsburgh among the D1 schools. Pitt will always be King. Duquesne is second. And, the whole college scene is second-fiddle (by a mile) behind the pro teams.

That's not to say a coach couldn't be successful there. They have a beautiful, on-campus arena, etc. Their location is close to a major city. On the men's side, Andy Toole has had a decent amount of success.

Honestly, I agree with you about Cleve. I think he's been there and done that -- and is more at 'home' in Erie. He knows how to win (and keep winning) in the PSAC. His age is also a factor in taking on a new endeavor.

Jess Strom is the one I thought may be the better fit. She's the right age and may be up for a new challenge at a higher level. Relatively speaking, the job is a stones' throw away from the Mon Valley.

Funny thing is I'm not sure the current Robert Morris women's team would even win the PSAC West. Money-wise, I have no idea if it would be a significant jump. I'd assume it pays more than Cal or Gannon.

There is always a lure to coach in D1. I think Robert Morris would serve as Strom's stepping stone to a more-lucrative job on that level.

Marshall hired the Glenville State coach last year - and Marshall is a much better job than Robert Morris. You never know.

Comment

• Jess Strom makes $128k. Charlie Buscaglia was last published making $171k plus bonus ($41k in 2020). Better facilities, campus reputation, and funding (airplane league).

RMU is struggling because they're out of their element in the Horizon League. Is some of this because they haven't been able to recruit & coach? Who knows. I've never read anyone calling Charlie a bad coach. There could be more at play here. Buscaglia took an abrupt and extended medical leave 2 years ago.

Comment

• With the NFL eating further and further into hoops season every year, I hadn’t seen much Pitt basketball this year but I made a point to watch last night as it was a huge game between two teams currently on the wrong side of the bubble. To say Pitt no showed would be being kind. Sheesh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
            With the NFL eating further and further into hoops season every year, I hadn’t seen much Pitt basketball this year but I made a point to watch last night as it was a huge game between two teams currently on the wrong side of the bubble. To say Pitt no showed would be being kind. Sheesh.
            Hinson hits 8-9 treys or they stink. One or the other.

But, the nights he is on are pretty crazy.

Last night was just embarrassing.
            Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 02-21-2024, 06:31 AM.

Comment

• Wild weekend.

NC State coach was a dead man walking ... until he won the ACC in a shocking upset -- AND thus triggering an automatic two-year contract extension. They can still can him but he'll leave with a lot more $$.

Kent State ... My oh my. What a way to lose.

Will Pitt get invited to the Dance? The experts think probably not, siting an awful non-conference schedule. Pitt is a tough team that may unfortunately be playing in the Little Dance.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                Wild weekend.

NC State coach was a dead man walking ... until he won the ACC in a shocking upset -- AND thus triggering an automatic two-year contract extension. They can still can him but he'll leave with a lot more $$.

Kent State ... My oh my. What a way to lose.

Will Pitt get invited to the Dance? The experts think probably not, siting an awful non-conference schedule. Pitt is a tough team that may unfortunately be playing in the Little Dance.
                It was a bad last few days for teams like Pitt. NC State stole a bid. The Atlantic 10 and AAC champions will steal bids, ironically Duquesne has a chance to be one of them. New Mexico may have took a spot last night. Pitt is a solid team but I just don’t think there are enough spots left.

It was a crazy week in the one bid leagues too. Several teams with ugly records going dancing.

Comment

• Oh my god if Duquesne blows this….

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
                    Oh my god if Duquesne blows this….
                    They certainly tried to. But congrats to the Dukes for getting back to the dance for the first time since 1977.

Now to wait and find out if they really get in the dance or if they have to "play their way in" (essentially just making it into the foyer of the dance hall).

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

They certainly tried to. But congrats to the Dukes for getting back to the dance for the first time since 1977.

Now to wait and find out if they really get in the dance or if they have to "play their way in" (essentially just making it into the foyer of the dance hall).
                      They won’t be in the First Four. The only conference champions in play for that are the 16 seeds and they’ll be well above there. I’m thinking they’ll end up on the infamous 12 line and they’ll be dangerous provided they don’t shoot whatever ridiculously bad percentage they shot in the 2nd half today.

Comment

• Pitt turned down its NIT invite.

And, of course, had Pitt played Duquesne this year the Panthers would have made the Dance (WVU sucking didn't help, either).

Comment

Pitt turned down its NIT invite.

And, of course, had Pitt played Duquesne this year the Panthers would have made the Dance (WVU sucking didn't help, either).
                          I don’t think that would have been the case. Even if they played Duq, that likely does not bump their SOS up enough in the non-conference to take them off the bubble or make them safe given the chaos of the conference tournaments. They were the 4th team listed in the last 4 out category in the final seeding. The bids stolen by the A-10, AAC, and ACC all would have gone to somebody else before they went to Pitt.

If they would have beaten Syracuse those two games and not lost to Missouri early, that’s 3 additional wins and they would have been in. I’ll say though.. UVA being in over Pitt is pretty terrible.

Comment

• No idea what BYU brings to the table, but I’m picking Duquesne to win.

Comment

That’s going to be the new norm. The transfer portal opens tomorrow. The coaches would likely rather be rounding out their roster and you would also have opt outs.

In your words, “next season starts now.”

Comment

Any tournament that isn’t THE tournament is a waste of time in this world of college basketball.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X