Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cal has struggled all year against strong defensive teams. Look at the record against the better defenses. That's somewhat Sancomb still adjusting to a different world.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Good points, IUP24. I buy your theory about Joe starting a trend of building hybrid teams.

And I 100% agree that this is a very deep & talented region (despite some lack of name recognition that comes with those Midwestern regions).
      Hybrid teams?! Any good coach is going to bring in players that play the game in their vision...

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Hybrid teams?! Any good coach is going to bring in players that play the game in their vision...
        The point is that the good teams in the PSAC changed "their vision." IUP, Mercyhurst, West Chester, Shippensburg, etc, all realized that they were not going to win the NCAA Atlantic Regional playing the style they were comfortable in the PSAC. The region is tougher now, but not so long ago, the only way to win that regional was to beat West Liberty on their floor in the NCAA tournament. Teams tried to do it by "banging" and playing "PSAC basketball," but it never worked.

IUP was simply the first team to make that transition to build a roster that would be able to play with bigger and more physical teams in the west, while also being able to score with MEC teams in the tournament. The good teams in the PSAC are all doing that now. East Stroud is the only one that is built like an MEC school.

Comment

Jeff Wilson has been running the same style since he was hired. He came into the league several years before Joe Lombardi... Innovation does happen outside Indiana, PA...

Comment

Jeff Wilson has been running the same style since he was hired. He came into the league several years before Joe Lombardi... Innovation does happen outside Indiana, PA...
            You're easily the most triggered guy on here. I clearly stated, as has IUPBigIndians on many occasions, that East Stroudsburg is the only team in the PSAC that is put together like an MEC team. They never had to innovate or change because they were always running a style that was built for playing MEC schools in the tournament. What am I saying here that offended you or isn't correct?

Around 2013, Joe Lombardi started to change the makeup of his roster. That's fact. He won the regional in 2015 employing a "hybrid" philosophy. That's fact. He's had success against other MEC schools since then using this approach and it has turned his program into a perennial regional title contender. As this has happened, other teams in the PSAC started to integrate this approach into their roster configuration as well... Shippensburg, Mercyhurst, etc. The better teams in the PSAC don't want to win games in the 60s like they did 5-7 years ago.

Sports are all "copycat leagues." Adapt or die.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

You're easily the most triggered guy on here. I clearly stated, as has IUPBigIndians on many occasions, that East Stroudsburg is the only team in the PSAC that is put together like an MEC team. They never had to innovate or change because they were always running a style that was built for playing MEC schools in the tournament. What am I saying here that offended you or isn't correct?

Around 2013, Joe Lombardi started to change the makeup of his roster. That's fact. He won the regional in 2015 employing a "hybrid" philosophy. That's fact. He's had success against other MEC schools since then using this approach and it has turned his program into a perennial regional title contender. As this has happened, other teams in the PSAC started to integrate this approach into their roster configuration as well... Shippensburg, Mercyhurst, etc. The better teams in the PSAC don't want to win games in the 60s like they did 5-7 years ago.

Historically the West was a Wrestlemania version of basketball. What we called the 'goon' teams of SRU in this decade .... that was the whole West in the 90s and early 00s.

IUP had teams under Gary Edwards that would have even scared the football team. Lol.

Comment

MY point was that Jeff Wilson adapted as soon as he got the job at ESU...Who's triggered now?!

Comment

MY point was that Jeff Wilson adapted as soon as he got the job at ESU...Who's triggered now?!
                  He didn't really adapt. That was just his scheme. When he got there WL wasn't anything but an also-ran. They (WL) were a bad program prior to his Godliness arriving.

Comment

You are. Not everything is a slight on ESU. Take a chill pill or five.

Comment

Man, you'd actually think they play basketball up in the Poconos. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

Man, you'd actually think they play basketball up in the Poconos. ;)
                        Stroudsburg has been playing well. They're likely to be a tough out in the tourney. As far as whom Ship plays in the quarters, I'm not sure whether I'd rather get Millersville or Shepherd.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Stroudsburg has been playing well. They're likely to be a tough out in the tourney. As far as whom Ship plays in the quarters, I'm not sure whether I'd rather get Millersville or Shepherd.
                          Agree about East Stroud. They may end up being the team that gets left out with WSSU winning the CIAA.

Comment

Agree about East Stroud. They may end up being the team that gets left out with WSSU winning the CIAA.
                            If memory serves, we will never know who was actually left out. Pretty sure the NCAA doesn't do a full top 10 on the last rankings.

Comment

Cal looks a much better team so far first half. Nowhere near as sloppy as they appeared Saturday.

Johnson 2 fouls doesnt help that.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X