Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Interesting. I always assumed it was some sort of eligibility thing although it could have been academic.

Oh I know why Keyes was suspended by Joe - and who wasn't.
    Sounds scandalous.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
      It's Turner Kurt and he would never develop under Cleary because he is a horrible coach!!!
      Cleary does pretty well considering he has the lowest scholarship money in the West.

Comment

Cleary does pretty well considering he has the lowest scholarship money in the West.

It's an uneven playing field. No other way to say it.

We've often discussed my opinion on Clarion's football coach. Give him the IUP job (and resources) and his record would be incredible. Conversely, give Tort the Clarion job.

'Coaching' really helps -- but, also, it only goes so far. You need the horses. In football, you need a lot of horses.

Now, all of that said, I don't know the Edinboro landscape well enough to know if Cleary has done a good job generating boosters, donors, corporate sponsors and interest in the program.

The way the PSAC is set up for scholarship money, whomever you hire better be just a good of salesman as he is a basketball coach. If you can't sell the program, you can't buy the players.

Joe is an incredible fundraiser. As such, he can recruit nation (and world) wide.

Now, IUP was winning long before Joe got here. Truth be told, they'll win long after he leaves. But, the way he has elevated the program has been incredible. IUP Basketball was very good in the 90s (best team in school history, perhaps, was in 94-95) ... but, it took a big backseat to the football program. Joe changed all that. You can argue now which program is bigger. Joe's certainly been more successful the past 12 years. Joe's Saturday night games, atmosphere-wise, blow the football team out of the water.

You look at football-obsessed SRU ... even when KR had some really, really good teams ... not a soul in that town cared about his basketball teams.

Comment

If you think Cleary does pretty well then you might not have a clue what success truly is. Rolling out the balls and playing AAU style isn't developing players!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

If you think Cleary does pretty well then you might not have a clue what success truly is. Rolling out the balls and playing AAU style isn't developing players!
            Find good guards. Get some defensive linemen to play the post.

That is the Cleary formula.

I don't know. I don't think he's a bad coach. He just has a set amount of coin and he puts it in the guards.

Finding a Staunch type helps when you have three stud guards. Other years it doesn't.

I think he does well with what he has.

That said, could he do better? How is he doing raising coin?

But, yes, Cleary defense is awful.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's an uneven playing field. No other way to say it.

We've often discussed my opinion on Clarion's football coach. Give him the IUP job (and resources) and his record would be incredible. Conversely, give Tort the Clarion job.

'Coaching' really helps -- but, also, it only goes so far. You need the horses. In football, you need a lot of horses.

Now, all of that said, I don't know the Edinboro landscape well enough to know if Cleary has done a good job generating boosters, donors, corporate sponsors and interest in the program.

The way the PSAC is set up for scholarship money, whomever you hire better be just a good of salesman as he is a basketball coach. If you can't sell the program, you can't buy the players.

Joe is an incredible fundraiser. As such, he can recruit nation (and world) wide.

Now, IUP was winning long before Joe got here. Truth be told, they'll win long after he leaves. But, the way he has elevated the program has been incredible. IUP Basketball was very good in the 90s (best team in school history, perhaps, was in 94-95) ... but, it took a big backseat to the football program. Joe changed all that. You can argue now which program is bigger. Joe's certainly been more successful the past 12 years. Joe's Saturday night games, atmosphere-wise, blow the football team out of the water.

You look at football-obsessed SRU ... even when KR had some really, really good teams ... not a soul in that town cared about his basketball teams.
              Being a HC is a difficult job. Its like being the CEO for a mid size company were you are still the lead salesman, head of the HR department, lead product developer and do the primary PR for the company. Hard being good at all those things and the ones that are dont typically hang around DII for long.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X