Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    To beat West Liberty ... you have to deal with the annoyance factor. They play like a bunch of gnats. I don't mean that in a bad way. But, that's what I see. They pester and pester with that press. It swallows up average to good teams. On top of that, they have 10 guys who can all shoot from deep. If you let that 'gnat effect' get to you ... you already lost. If you fall in to the trap of trying to play run-n-gun, you already lost. They WANT you to take that first shot after breaking the press. Fall in to that trap ... and you already lost.

Obviously, they don't lose very often. When they do, there's often a common theme. I'm sure NWMS will figure that out in film study this week.

You absolutely have to have strong guards -- in particular a PG. WL's 'bigs' really aren't 'bigs' per se. They are effective in that high-speed tempo. They become much less effective in a slow-down game. Question is if you can actually slow down the game.

I don't know what Hillsdale's plan was in that game. After watching it ... not sure they even had one. They looked like lost puppies by the first media timeout.

If you look back at WL's tournament losses to IUP, Ship and Mercyhurst ... none of them were track meets. Control the tempo ... or get run out of the gym. That's the only two options.
    LOL. Well put IUPbig.
    Just like gnats distract you from your work and come from many different angles so you can't swat them. The king gnat is Luke Dyer. He takes balls from big men and heads up court before they know it. Just ask Hillsdale - their coach called it "active hands". Another pesky gnat is Malik McKinney. Guards get frustrated and shove him to get open on in bounds plays and get called for a foul. It is a unique style, to be sure. But NWMSU has a week to get ready for it. Hillsdale had one day.
    Last edited by Columbuseer; 03-18-2021, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

NW will take the layup but if it's not there I'm fairly certain they will bring the ball out and run the offense.

The last team to score 90 or more points against NW was Duke. The last D2 team to do it was in 2011-12. I would be shocked if WL gets close to their Scoring Offense average for the year.
      Taking the quick 2 speeds up the game and allows WLU with an opportunity to trade 3 for 2. It's somthing WLU is very comfortable doing.

Comment

Comment

To beat West Liberty ... you have to deal with the annoyance factor. They play like a bunch of gnats. I don't mean that in a bad way. But, that's what I see. They pester and pester with that press. It swallows up average to good teams. On top of that, they have 10 guys who can all shoot from deep. If you let that 'gnat effect' get to you ... you already lost. If you fall in to the trap of trying to play run-n-gun, you already lost. They WANT you to take that first shot after breaking the press. Fall in to that trap ... and you already lost.

Obviously, they don't lose very often. When they do, there's often a common theme. I'm sure NWMS will figure that out in film study this week.

You absolutely have to have strong guards -- in particular a PG. WL's 'bigs' really aren't 'bigs' per se. They are effective in that high-speed tempo. They become much less effective in a slow-down game. Question is if you can actually slow down the game.

I don't know what Hillsdale's plan was in that game. After watching it ... not sure they even had one. They looked like lost puppies by the first media timeout.

If you look back at WL's tournament losses to IUP, Ship and Mercyhurst ... none of them were track meets. Control the tempo ... or get run out of the gym. That's the only two options.

Comment

It's the old theory of why NBA teams don't press. The other guards are too strong and it's ineffective. For all the times I've seen WL smother people with it, I have also seen teams pick their press apart.

I've watched next to no D2 this year with no dog in the race. Here and there. But, I am looking forward to this one. Nobody is unbeatable.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Taking the quick 2 speeds up the game and allows WLU with an opportunity to trade 3 for 2. It's somthing WLU is very comfortable doing.
              You take an open layup every time you have it, regardless of the other teams style. Forcing a shot is a different story.

Comment

Haha, we say the same thing at NW. We imagine other teams see us walk in the gym and think "this is the team that's supposed to be so good?". I'll admit, when I saw Fairmont St a few years ago I thought we had no chance but we completely controlled the tempo and imposed our will. Hope we can do the same next week!

Comment

The gnat effect definitely got to Hillsdale, they were exhausted and frustrated

Comment

Love it! If we can have the Law of Verticality, we can certainly have the Gnat Effect!

Comment

It's the old theory of why NBA teams don't press. The other guards are too strong and it's ineffective. For all the times I've seen WL smother people with it, I have also seen teams pick their press apart.

I've watched next to no D2 this year with no dog in the race. Here and there. But, I am looking forward to this one. Nobody is unbeatable.

Other nba factors have a greater impact imho
                      82 game schedule
                      players don't like it
                      Too much effort for older players
                      Players much more power than coaches

the video below describes use of press in nba. Surprisingly the guards did not dissect it and some teams had success with it, the degree of success obscured by other factors.

https://youtu.be/qCJnUqpJXwY

Comment

FYI Comparitive Stats
                        • NWMSU is elite. One of very few teams with better shooters and better Points per Possession (PPP). Both teams have higher PPP than top D1 teams. Only Gonzaga is close, as far as I know.
                        • NWMSU has incredible offensive efficiency of 63%.
                        • WLU has advantage on turnovers, steals, and number of possessions, due to style of play.
                        • WLU has significant rebounding advantage
                        To win, WLU has to control the boards, shoot well and somehow lower the shooting % of NWMSU, for I don't expect NWMSU to commit turnovers. Big, big challenge.
                        Tale of the tape - Season to Date - green shows areas of advantage
                        West liberty Season to date NWMSU Season to date
                        Games 22 27
                        Points per game 102 82.6
                        POINTS 2245 2230
                        FGM 812 769
                        FGA 1641 1441
                        FGPCT 49.50% 53.40%
                        3FGM 242 288
                        3FGA 654 676
                        3FGPCT 37.00% 42.60%
                        FTM 379 404
                        FTA 504 505
                        FTPCT 75.20% 80.00%
                        REBOUND OFFENSIVE 334 214
                        REBOUND DEFENSIVE 639 645
                        REBOUND TOTAL 973 859
                        ASSISTS 409 383
                        TURNOVERS 257 295
                        BLOCKS 77 50
                        STEALS 204 192
                        Num Possessions 1786 1744
                        Points per Possession 1.26 1.28
                        Assists per 100 Possessions 22.9 22
                        Assists to FG Made ratio 50.40% 49.80%
                        Assist to Turnover Ratio 1.59 1.3
                        Turnovers per 100 Possessions 14.4 16.9
                        (< better)
                        Opoonent Defensive Rebounds 547 671
                        Offensive Rebound Efficiency % 37.90% 24.20%
                        Effective FG % 56.90% 63.40%
                        Effective FG% Difference (team-Opp) 7.10% 10.50%
                        FGA % Diff ((team-Opp.)/Opp) 19.10% 2.90%
                        Possessions per game 81 65
                        Last edited by Columbuseer; 03-20-2021, 09:59 PM. Reason: corrected shading on two assist stats

Comment

Is playing 5 more games an advantage?

Comment

You take an open layup every time you have it, regardless of the other teams style. Forcing a shot is a different story.
                            I encourage NW to take the quick 2's when they are there...WLU will give you that opportunity. Maybe NW will be the team that can beat us doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I encourage NW to take the quick 2's when they are there...WLU will give you that opportunity. Maybe NW will be the team that can beat us doing that.
                              We shoot the 3 better than WL on the year as well. If the plan from WL is to give us wide open layups and then beat us by making enough 3's at the other end then NW will win in a blowout with our defense.

FWIW, I think it will be a close game and don't see that scenario playing out. Mainly because I feel like NW will be able to slow down pace of the game.

Comment

Haha, we say the same thing at NW. We imagine other teams see us walk in the gym and think "this is the team that's supposed to be so good?". I'll admit, when I saw Fairmont St a few years ago I thought we had no chance but we completely controlled the tempo and imposed our will. Hope we can do the same next week!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X